Photo
- - - - -

Gateway Laptop won't boot from DVD/CD-ROM

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brian_C

Brian_C

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 09:57 PM

I have a Gateway DS 450XL that I bought in June of 2002. I'm running Windows XP Pro with 512MB of RAM and a 20Gig hard drive. It has a DVD/CD-ROM combo drive. I would like to re-format it and reload Windows. However, when I put in the Windows XP system disk and re-boot, the computer boots off the hard drive and not the cd. I have already checked the BIOS and it is set to boot from the cd first. The system recognizes the DVD/CD just fine and it works when XP is running. The other thing I find interesting is that in the task bar, the USB icon shows the only USB device as the DVD/CD. Is the problem that the DVD/CD is a USB device and is therefore not recognized until the OS loads? Gateway will only help me if I hand over $2.99 a minute since my warranty has expired. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

#2 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,380 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

I think you're right about the USB.

Do you have a floppy drive? You can download XP boot disks to get your install going by downloading these (6 floppies worth) from bootdisk.com.

#3 Brian_C

Brian_C

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:02 AM

I'm afraid I don't have a floppy drive. When I ordered the laptop it was an option I didn't bother with since I didn't imagine I would ever need one. I was unaware I wouldn't be able to boot from the CD. Any other ideas?

#4 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,380 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 03:38 PM

I'm not sure, but check the BIOS to make sure there isn't a setting to enable a USB boot device or something similar.