Photo
- - - - -

Why am I getting so many error messages

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 shartman517

shartman517

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 09:38 PM

In the last few months I've started to get error messages while using Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. The message says something to the effect that Outook Express or Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. Then I have the option to send an error report to microsoft or not to send the error report. Either choice results in the program I was using being closed. :(

I am wondering where these error reports go, for what purpose, and are there benefits to sending these error reports?

I've heard some people say that I can fix my computer so that I do not receive these error messages. I guess I am wondering if I were to do that -what does that do to my computer - does it hurt anything? If it doesn't hurt anything - my next question is: how do I do it?

I know very little about computers so I will need clear instructions to follow.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Sharon

#2 CrunchBug

CrunchBug

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 06:30 PM

OK,

First of all the error messages are not a bad thing. The error message feature was developed by Microsoft and incorporated into Windows XP when it first came out. Anytime your computer encounters a problem with software on your computer, whether it be Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, AIM, or any other program you use, Microsoft set up the operating system where you can send error reports.

These reports are sent blindly to microsoft's database. When I say blindly i mean that no person information is transmitted, only the specific problem. This is a GREAT feature to have and even though it takes a few seconds to send an error report, I would strongly suggest doing so as often as possible. The reason being is that since every type of error that could occur has its own error code, Microsoft keeps a taly on how many times a problem occurs on users Windows XP machines.

By sending Microsoft these error reports you are actually helping them make Windows a better operatin system, because microsoft uses these reports to determine how often they occur, and what they can do to fix them for future versions of Windows, and for future Windows XP updates. If a certain problem occurs over and over with Windows XP Microsoft will find a way to fix the problem and then will release the fix in their next critical update for Windows XP.

Then, when you or anyone else downloads the latest updates, you will be downloading fixes and patches for the most common operation and security problems. So in essence, when you send Microsoft error reports, you are indirectly helping make your operating system the most stable it can be. Disabling the error report feature on your computer is possible, and it will not hurt your computer, but it will hurt the overall performance of your operating system because you will be restricting microsoft from being able to make Windows XP better.

As far as for the problems you are having with Outlook Express. Go to http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp and click on "scan for updates". If there are any updates that your computer is missing i would download them all. Once they are downloaded you will need to restart your computer. Then go back to http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp and make sure there are not any more updates you are missing. These updates will patch a lot of operating and security problems, and they are available because of the error report feature microsoft uses and because microsoft constantly tests the operating system for bugs and problems. It is possible that your problem is a common glitch that will be solved by one of Microsoft's updates.

Once you have downloaded everything, make sure you defragment your hard drive. You can defrag your hard drive by going to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Defragmentor. You should defragment your computer every two weeks, so if you are not, i would start if i were you. It will keep your computer running at its fastest speeds, and it will solve a lot of common operating problems.

If you still have problems let me know. There are other options to solve your problems, but they are a little more drastic, so try the above out fist. I hope this helped!
Ryan K Schmidt
SoftwareLot.com, LLC
www.softwarelot.com

#3 CrunchBug

CrunchBug

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 09:47 AM

also, If you continue to have problems with outlook express you can reinstall the program by doing the following:

Click Start , click Run , and then type the following command:
%systemroot%\inf

NOTE : There are no spaces at all in the preceding command line.

Click OK to open the INF folder.
Locate the file MSOE50.inf .
Right-click the file, and then click Install . This will reinstall the files that Outlook Express needs to proceed normally.

It will ask you to put your windows XP cd in the drive
Ryan K Schmidt
SoftwareLot.com, LLC
www.softwarelot.com