Photo
- - - - -

Sony Vaio laptop - Error code 5

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Razbery

Razbery

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 12:19 PM

I'm trying to run the recovery discs on my Sony Vaio laptop VGN-S150 and I get almost through with disc one and get an error message "error occurred while partitioning", "error code:5". Does anyone know what this means and/or how to fix it? The computer was running Windows XP and my boss has given up on it saying it's dead.... I'd love to fix it and keep it for myself since he's ready to throw it out. Is there hope? Is it worth putting money into or is it more worthwhile to just buy a new laptop?

#2 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:11 PM

I don't know what error code 5 is, as it is probably pertains to just SONY computers. I am not all that familiar with Sony recovery disks, so it is difficult to give advice as to what is required to do a recover.

However, with that said, that computer is still worth salvaging, don't throw it out. Even if you put $200 in to repairing it, it is worth it, as it would cost you more than that to replace it.

I suspect you may have a hard drive that is going bad, or just has a bad spot, and may only need to have CHKDSK run on it, but you may not be able to run it now, with the attempted recover. Are you trying to do a fresh install, on the computer, or just a Restore? Is there any vital info that you need to save on the hard drive? If you know the brand of computer, then you may be able to download their diagnosis software and run it.

I think you could replace the hard drive, reinstall XP, with the COA key on the laptop, and you will have a great computer. Basically, all you need is an OEM version, with the appropriate (original) service pack number, of XP that came with the machine. You may also get an USB hard drive adapter where you could hook that laptop hard drive, to your desktop, and try and fix it CHKDSK on the desktop.

#3 patsfan1286

patsfan1286

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:36 PM

You could also try creating an XP boot disk on another computer. If you boot from the boot disk you should be able to run CHKDSK. FDISK may also help.

#4 Razbery

Razbery

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

I am trying to just get the laptop in working order. I can completely wipe it and start over. There is no information on it of any value to me. I have been trying to get it started with the recovery disc's that came with the laptop. If I start without the recovery disc in it just says: error loading operating system.

When I try to recover the C Drive it says "error:your drive is too small or may not exist. Click back, select custom recovery to change drive size and recover system.

When I click custom recovery, and select either C & D drive recovery OR Advanced recovery, the same thing happens. It goes through Partition, and says completed, then starts on restoring the C drive and stops and says "disk access:sense operation failed". Then it just re-boots when I hit ok.

Hopefully this will help you help me further. If I just need a new hard drive, that's no sweat, do you know an approximate cost? I don't need a huge one.

Thanks for your help so far!!!

#5 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

Sure, you can wipe out the drive, and start over, but the problem I see is, do you have an XP disk other than that recovery disk, because I am not sure you can use that recovery disk for a fresh install, and that's the dilemma. Also, lets not rule out that the hard drive is toast, and needs replacing.

To me it sounds like you have two partitions on that hard drive, making the C: drive too small, for what it needs to do, or it may have a bad sector that keeps it from do its thing. If the second partition is not a recovery partition, then I would just make the disk one partition.

If you had an OEM XP install disk, then you could go to: bootdisk.com and download a ME startup disk, copy it to a floppy, if you have a floppy drive on the laptop, if not, then create it on a bootable CD. You may have to reset your BIOS to make sure either the floppy, or CD drive is set to as the first bootable device.

Once you have booted the drive to the startup, at the prompt, type in fdisk, and select number 4 to see what partitions are on the drive. Then erase all the partitions, and create one partition. You will be creating a FAT32 partition, but that's alright, because the install would allow you to format the drive to NTFS before install of XP.

Microsoft site about Fdisk:
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;q255867

#6 johnjohn

johnjohn

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm trying to run the recovery discs on my Sony Vaio laptop VGN-S150 and I get almost through with disc one and get an error message "error occurred while partitioning", "error code:5". Does anyone know what this means and/or how to fix it? The computer was running Windows XP and my boss has given up on it saying it's dead.... I'd love to fix it and keep it for myself since he's ready to throw it out. Is there hope? Is it worth putting money into or is it more worthwhile to just buy a new laptop?

The problems you have mentioned are EXACTLY the ones I am going through right now with my Sony PCV-2220, using the Recovery CD's. Either drive is too small or there is that error code that an error occurred while partitioning the volume.

#7 johnjohn

johnjohn

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Now I get the message, "Can not lock the logical volume 1:1".

#8 PCS

PCS

PCS

• Registered
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

I have never found recovery discs very useful, they always seem to just not work, or very rarely. Like has already been suggested a clean install of windows is what you'll most likely end up doing. Its worth shot to clean or examine the discs for scratches, sometimes one of those disc rescue things for like ten bucks at staples can resurface the cd/dvd. Razberry and johnjohn I think you should test your HDD and RAM first, use the http://www.ultimatebootcd.com this will at least tell you if the discs are your problem or not. Once you know if you have a hardware problem or not you can move on to installing Windows.