Photo
- - - - -

HELP! Laptop screen randomly turns black while I'm working!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 tha503girl

tha503girl

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:25 AM

Ok so I have a Toshiba A105 s4284 that I just bought from a friend that bought it in january and it was working fine until just recently, all of a sudden the screen just goes completly black when I'm in the middle of something, I mean the computer doesn't shut off at all its just the screen. I've looked around on all the other forums trying to see if anyone else was having the same problem i was and I couldn't find anything. It doesn't just fade, it goes completly black, I've tried the fn + F5 key and that didnt work, I've jiggled the hinges to see if that was the problem and still nothing. When I shut the laptop it doesn't even go into stand by mode like it should its like the laptop froze. I've tried to run a virus scan on it and it gets to a certain number then the computer restarts. I'm good with computers but not that good so I have no idea as what to do, any help would be so much appreciated. Thanks in advance :)

#2 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

I am not sure this is the problem, but click start/control panel/display/screensaver tab, and look in the power settings (near bottom), to see if it's set to turn off your monitor after a specific period of time.

#3 tha503girl

tha503girl

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 08:08 PM

I've already tried that and made sure everything was on "never" and hibernate wasnt activated... any other suggestions?

#4 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:29 PM

If your friend bought it brand new in January, then it should still be under warranty. I would contact toshiba and have them fix it, while you still can, before you void the warranty, by possibly following someone's suggestion. The last thing you want is a plaguing problem that you end up having to pay for. Perhaps Toshiba knows of this problem, and have has an easy fix for it.

#5 ikenfixit.com

ikenfixit.com

New Geek

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 06:31 AM

Most likely the inverter is on its way out.. Easy to change and a cheap component. If you need help with it just yell.

#6 Nirvana

Nirvana

New Geek

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Yea dude I have the same exact problem with my Toshiba Qousimo X350, Ive had it for a while, Honestly I dont think theres a solution to this problem, Ive taken it down to Geek squad 4 times now, and its still the same problem, Sorry man :{

#7 Bobbo

Bobbo

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:38 AM

Toshiba laptops seem to be notorious for this. I bought two Satellites for my kids for Christmas, and my son's already went belly up with a black screen. As they're under warranty, I called Toshiba and I was infromed that they have a hidden partition that will allow you to correct the problem (supposedly) without the need of a recovery disc by powering the unit up and holding down the number 0 key for about 30 seconds. This will take you to the proper screen to fix it. If it doesn't work, the hard drive has an issue and you will indeed need the recovery disc, which Toshiba sells for 25 bucks for these models that I bought. But luckily, we have three years on the warranty and are sending it back to have repaired. I'm still going to buy the disc though, before the price goes up. And Nirvana..........you took it to Geek Squad four times with no positive results? What does that tell you about Geek Squad?

Edited by Bobbo, 09 April 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#8 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Nirvana, this thread is three years old. In the future, please start your own thread if you have a problem.

Bucksfanjimj

#9 Bobbo

Bobbo

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Yes, it's been three years and Toshiba STILL hasn't fixed this problem!! :mad:

#10 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

I keep tellin' ya'll Dell, ASUS or Lenovo. The rest are crap.

#11 Bobbo

Bobbo

VIP

• Registered
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

I hear ya! My wife bought the two Toshibas dirt cheap at Walmart on Black Friday last year, and got a two year extended warranty for almost nothing also. But if you recall, a couple of years ago, I had some major problems with my daughter's Dell laptop. It went through a dozen power cords, a screen, and a hard drive. It was a total piece of junk. It also had an extended warranty, and it shipped back and forth several times. They would not replace it! When the warranty wasabout to expire, I refused to renew it, because I wanted it replaced. Long story short, through THIS MESSAGE BOARD, someone at Dell read my gripes and contacted me and replaced it. The replacement is still working, and now she has two...one for home and one for school. It pays to hang out here sometimes. :cool: