Photo
- - - - -

Dell E310 blinking yellow power light

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 MJP46356

MJP46356

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:52 PM

I have a Dell E310 that is not quite 2 years old. In December, it would not power up. Only a flashing yellow light. The diagnosis said that it was either a power supply problem or a faulty system (mother) board. I took the machine to a local repair guy and he told me the same thing (for $30!). So I figured, I can change parts as good as the next guy. So I ordered a new power supply from Discountelectronics.com. I installed the new power supply and nothing changed. The cooling fan starts to turn and then stops, and I am still getting the blinking yellow light. One thing that is different is that the Power Supply fan now begins to turn, but it also stops. So I called Dell and ordered a refurbished motherboard. When it arrived, I installed it, took the memory sticks and CPU from my old motherboard and istalled them on the new board hoping this would take care of the problem. Still, a freekin blinking yellow light. Last night I read somewhere that sometimes a USB connector will become shorted or bent causeing a power issue which results in the blinking yellow light. So I checked the front USB's and everything seems ok. I pulled the board that the front switch and USB's are located and did a visual inspection and nothing seemed burned or distorted. I'm about out of ideas, considering there is not much left in the machine that I haven't checked out or replaced. When the whole mess started, there was a rather large dust bunny in front of the CPU cooling fan. I have been trying to find out if the cooling fan doesn't work, maybe a failsafe prevents a power up. I don't know, at this point I am about out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciatred.

MJP46356

#2 so0ky

so0ky

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:08 PM

I know this maybe kinda annoying...

When you press the power button, what exactly happens? Note any sounds as well. I know you said generally whats happened, but there maybe something you missed.

#3 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,462 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

I always knew that to be a power supply issue. Since you replaced it, I dunno.

We did a brief explanation of the Dell diagnostic lights a while back:

http://www.pctechbyt.../dell-power.htm

#4 MJP46356

MJP46356

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

No. No sounds at all.

#5 MJP46356

MJP46356

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

Do you have any documentaton on the ower supply? Is there a point that I can check for voltages even with a blinking power light?

#6 mahmad1

mahmad1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:21 PM

ITS PROBABLY YOUR CPU FAN THAT HAS THE PROBLEM. DISCONNECT IT AND TURN IT ON IT SHOULD TURN ON. I WORK FOR DELL AND SOMETIMES ITS THE FAN THAT CAUSES THIS PROBLEM. HOPE THAT WAS HELPFUL :cool::rolleyes:

#7 MJP46356

MJP46356

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

I have had the CPU cooling fan out. I have unplugged it and plugged it in numerous times. If the fan is bad, will this keep the machine from powering up? I have been trying to find this out for some time. There are 4 wires that go to/from the cooling fan. I thought maybe there was a signal sent back to the motherboard if the cooling fan wasn't working that would then prevent a power up, a kind of failsafe?? I have a meter on the yellow wire that is in the 4 wire plug that feeds 12 volts to the motherboard near the processor, when I push the power button it reached about 5 volts or so then it goes to zero volts. No voltage anywhere except for 2 wires in the 22 pin main plug. I think its like 5 volts on 2 wires. There was a lot of dus in front of the CPU cooling an when this whole mess started. Do you think it could be a bad cooling fan? Would that keep the machine from starting?

MJP46356

#8 so0ky

so0ky

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,001 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:45 PM

My heat sink wasn't on completely, and the BIOS would shut down my computer like instantly. I increased the seal of the fan on my processor, and the computer was able to boot.

#9 mahmad1

mahmad1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:29 PM

i just had this problem with one of the dell computers. i replaced the board and power supple. ended up being the cpu fan. if you un plug the fan connector and plug the power cable in it should turn on momentarily.

#10 mahmad1

mahmad1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

I Work for DELL and i know on some models the fan keeps it from starting up. keep the fan unpluged and try to power the system up

#11 MJP46356

MJP46356

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:28 AM

I I have tried every combination. If I leave the fan unplugged, and try and power up it does the same thing. The voltage at the 4 pin plug by the processor (2 blacks/2 yellow) never reached 12 volts. It hits mabe 5, then drops back to zero. So what you are saying, even if it doesn't power up with the cooling fan unplugged, do you think it could still be the cooling fan?

MJP46356

#12 sci7061

sci7061

New Geek

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

New Geek, did you ever resolve the power button blinking yellow light issue. I have same problem, Dell support no help at all. Problem started exactly 3 days after warranty expired on My Dell E510. Other posts point to battery as a possible resolution.

#13 Computer Geek 007

Computer Geek 007

New Geek

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

The issue is really more than likely the fan. The Dell has a built in fail if the fan is not working (probably to prevent fire or damage to the CPU from overheating). For what you paid the guy to tell you nothing this will probably fix the issue ($30.00 for a fan).

Check out this site. I found they have good prices and deliver quickly.

http://www.tigerdire...c.asp?CatId=493

Good Luck

#14 Spencer

Spencer

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

Please post up if you get this resolved. Thanks.

#15 Spencer

Spencer

• Registered
  • 196 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:20 AM

Any resolution on this one?

#16 KevJ25

KevJ25

New Geek

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

I had this same problem, I checked the front USB and one of them had been broken from my daughter trying to plug something in backwards. I used a pair of pliers (probably not recommended) and took the broken USB port off and put the board back in and it works great. I have a Dimension E510.