Photo
- - - - -

Looks like safe mode but not???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 PcId10t

PcId10t

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 07:58 AM

I turned on my computer and it starts up just fine, when windows(98 ) loads though it looks like the background in safe mode(but it is not safe mode). My resolution is wrong and my mouse, usb, cd burner and internet explorer wont work. I have no problem re-formatting but I have pics of my son I do not want to lose. This is sooo very important. Can anyone please give suggestions on what it might be or what i can do?

#2 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,434 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 12:38 PM

Have you done anything to the PC recently that might have caused this--installed new software or hardware?

What kind of PC do you have--a custom machine or major brand?

Try Safe mode by pressing the F8 key several time when booting. Can you use the mouse here?

Lastly, what version of Windows is this?

#3 PcId10t

PcId10t

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 01:45 PM

I have not Loaded anything new like in 2 months. Its a gateway and using windows 98. My mouse does work in safe mode but thats it.

#4 Kwagmyre

Kwagmyre

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:14 PM

I would lower the hardware acceleration rate by two notches and see what happens. If this improves things, the video card has problems(drivers or maybe the card itself).

#5 PcId10t

PcId10t

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 02:46 PM

If there was something wrong with my video card would it not effect the whole startup, like all screens? Every other screen looks fine except Windows desktop. I have gateway go-back and that screen looks ok, the loading windows screen looks ok.Just the desktop is funny looking and no mouse. I will definately try anything but like I said my mouse does not work so....

#6 Kwagmyre

Kwagmyre

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:17 PM

Well, maybe you're right but still see what happens following the suggestion I made.

#7 PcId10t

PcId10t

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:52 PM

Tried slowing hardware acceloration down, and still no change. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#8 Kwagmyre

Kwagmyre

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:25 PM

OK, this time go into the Device Manager and see if there are any yellow exclamation or question marks next to any devices. You could do that in Safe mode in fact and delete those and reboot and then see what happens.

#9 PcId10t

PcId10t

New Geek

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 12:14 AM

Thank you for that suggestion. I think I have got what i needed. I reinstalled my windows and the mouse and burner works at least. The background and pixel size is still messed up but at least I was able to get the files i needed burned to disk. The pictures are safe. With that being done do I just need to reformat and reinstall windows? or just delete and reinstall windows? Those are the options its giving me and not sure which one I should select?

Thanks Again :D

#10 sgtjoy

sgtjoy

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:38 PM

Thank you for that suggestion. I think I have got what i needed. I reinstalled my windows and the mouse and burner works at least. The background and pixel size is still messed up but at least I was able to get the files i needed burned to disk. The pictures are safe. With that being done do I just need to reformat and reinstall windows? or just delete and reinstall windows? Those are the options its giving me and not sure which one I should select?

Thanks Again :D

If you have what you need.....just do a fresh install. You should repartition and reformat, then install windows..installing over what you have is not only a waste of hard drive space but not recommended.

#11 Kwagmyre

Kwagmyre

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 02:57 PM

It's possible to do a clean install without formatting.

Read about it at www.methylblue.com

#12 sgtjoy

sgtjoy

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 01:37 PM

It's possible to do a clean install without formatting.

Read about it at www.methylblue.com

Holy Moley Batman, Robin likes the light you have shown me at the end of the tunnel. Thanks Kwagmyre...I can tell I am going to learn a lot posting to this forum even when I fail to have the best answer.

#13 Kwagmyre

Kwagmyre

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 02:06 AM

But I should add that I myself never have followed this approach of the non-formatting clean install so if I don't do it I hope to get feedback from someone who has.