Photo
- - - - -

how do i turn on my wireless connect on my desktop computer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 will_15

will_15

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:12 PM

I have a hp pavilion w2007 desktop computer but I can't get my mi-fi (it's kinda like wi-fi) working, it works on my laptop but won't connect on my computer. I need to know how to turn on my wireless connection on my desktop computer.

#2 Terri4

Terri4

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:14 PM

Not all desktops come with wireless. Check your network connections to verify you have a wireless card in your computer 1st.

Vista | Windows 7, Click Control Panel then Network and Internet then Network Connections

XP, Click Control Panel then Network and Internet Connections then Network Connections

You should see a wireless Connection in there if so right click then click on "enable". If you do not have the option to enable it but only to disable it then it is already enabled.

If you do not see a wireless connection then you do not have a wireless card installed or is not functioning properly.

#3 will_15

will_15

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

Where do I get a wireless connection card? It lets me see other things but the right wireless connection I am wanting to use. I am trying to use Mi-Fi through Sprint and I don't have a cd to install it to the computer. I am not sure where to purchase a wireless connection card so if you could please help me out. Thank you so much for the infomation you have already provided!

#4 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,293 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

Right, it seems like you just need something like this:
WiFi USB Adapterhttps://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=pctechbytes-20&l=ur2&o=1

The mifi will be slower and you might eventually run into a bandwidth cap. If you can plug in with a cable to your router (if you have one) then that would be better. However, if all you have is mifi, then you will need wireless access to that device with one of the adapters above.

MiFi and other similar solutions are great in rual areas where all you have is dial-up access.

Edited by Dave@Bytes, 03 February 2010 - 04:13 PM.

#5 will_15

will_15

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 12:00 PM

I do not have a router. All I have is the Mi-Fi. It didn't come wiith a cd to install, the only cord it come with was a charger cord. There no other spots on the Mi-Fi to hook anything else up. My question was how do you know if you have a wireless connection card and where do you purchase one?

#6 Terri4

Terri4

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

To find out if you have a wireless card you have to look in your network connections, see my earlier post for instructions. If you have one you'll see an icon labeled "Wireless Connection" If you do not see that icon in your "view my network connections" you do not have a wireless card installed. If that's the case then see Dave's post as to where to buy one. The mi-fi as I understand it does not connect to your computer with a wire. You will need software from sprint and a wireless device installed on your computer to connect to it wirelessly. I've seen the same type of device from AT&T. That the person needed software from AT&T (downloaded perhaps, ask your sprint sales person) to connect. Hope this helps.