Photo
- - - - -

Wireless does not work but wired does

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chargers Fan

Chargers Fan

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:38 PM

Well I have a Gateway laptop running vista, the wireless was working. At the point itstopped the owner was accessing an internet site. The router in their home is showing all the correct lights and several devices are working through it. The laptop is online now through my dsl wired connection. I have not seen exactly what they have for equipment but a linksus icon is on the desktop. I am not good with vista but in connect to it says that the wireless connection is good and shows 4 bars. Any help is appreciated and I will hold off on overloading with info for now. Basically I was going to have them cycle their router but it is working for their other laptops.

#2 Chargers Fan

Chargers Fan

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

I guess Vista is not so bad. I navigated around until I found device manager/network adapters/ and updated the driver for the wireless network connection. Rebooted and went right online. Our work is done here batman.

#3 Bama19642

Bama19642

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:45 PM

I didn't get your message until just a few minutes ago, so I dropped by to see what was happening. I'm glad you were able to find the trouble yourself. I don't know much about networking so it was nice to see my help wasn't needed. Good work Charger! There are plenty of times when just sitting there and using the computers resources will help fix a problem. That's basically how I learned a great deal about troubleshooting PC problems.

I've learned a lot more after using PCTB for a while. The people who know their stuff help me by telling others what to do, then I read it and pick up a little more every day.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

University of Alabama, 2012 NCAA Football Champions. 3 out of the last 5, and the future looks great!
State of Alabama, 4 out of 5. At least if AU fans want to brag, the Tide won the big one when given the opportunity. 

#4 Chargers Fan

Chargers Fan

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

Ya thats how we roll. We listen and learn. None of the computers I own have Vista so this last deal was new for me. Wasn't so bad once I navigated around. Thanks for checkin' back.

#5 PC_Repair_Man

PC_Repair_Man

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 12:45 AM

I just checked in and got your message too. Glad to see you got it going.

I just wanted to mention that Vista, just like all the other flavors of Windows, is self explanatory in regards to navigation. If you learn to navigate one then you can navigate the rest, even Win7 is basically the same. So don't be scared to dive right in when diagnosing a system on an unfamiliar Windows platform because they're all setup basically in the same order. Heck you could even navigate Windows Server with no experience, that how synonymous the layouts are.

#6 Chargers Fan

Chargers Fan

• Registered
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

I am coming to learn that what you say is 100% true. You of all people should remember from our first caper how inpatient I can be. When you walked me through the fix with that Dell I would spend time typing to you and basically stumble onto the right path as I went. At the end though I am happy to say we worked well together and I learned a great deal.This time I posted to you guys after a cursory run at the basic network stuff-recycle the router-establish that the ethernet connection did in fact work- see the wireless in 'connect to'. Where I caved was going in to system to try to get to the device manager. I saw a little different terrain than XP and bailed for a time. All the usual tools are there in Vista I just had to spend like two minutes of logical searching to find them. So point well taken.

#7 PC_Repair_Man

PC_Repair_Man

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 769 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 01:42 AM

Well I've said it a million times before and I'll say it again ... in computer repair you will learn something new everyday. :)