Photo
- - - - -

Windows 7 Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter Failure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 TJDishaw6

TJDishaw6

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 10:44 PM

Hey guys, I've been having a slight problem with a device in my device manager. Prior to my new windows 7 laptop that I got a couple of months ago, its had a couple of bugs including this one. I'm a guy that just loves being to do something cool or unique on a laptop, but in this situation I need it, since Internet is important. Of course I have the internet but limited to a wire and my parents bedroom. At my house I have wireless internet which is used by our other 2 laptop, so by nature we NEED the internet. We brought all the laptops and my Xbox 360 on the trip to Florida. I have read other forums about how to turn a laptop into a wireless access point. I've tried Ad-Hoc but couldn't get it to share internet even w/ ICS on. Then I tried 2 different programs that failed when I tried to turn them on. Both gave me an error message about Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter not working. I looked into this and found that it is very common for this to not work in windows 7 since it is a new feature to this amazing OS. I checked the device manager finding it had a little yield sign next to it. Tried everything just about everything possible to get it to go away but no luck, (reinstall, update, restart, ect.). If anyone has any idea to fix this PLEASE POST.

Thanks, TJ

#2 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,389 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

There may be a switch on the front of the laptop that powers on the adapter. Is it in the "On" position?

#3 TJDishaw6

TJDishaw6

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

There may be a switch on the front of the laptop that powers on the adapter. Is it in the "On" position?

no its software, I have a wireless adapter built in. The wifi miniport is a device used to share internet connection wirelessly.