Photo
- - - - -

HP G60 Laptop won't complete a system recovery

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:55 AM

I am trying to restore my Grandsons HP G60 Laptop.
Windows Vista keeps getting corrupted and stops the laptop from starting it gets a message saying missing files or some such thing then reboots, does this over and over till in the end I done a system restore. Now this is the 3 rd time I have had to do a system restore on it because of same problem . Problem is is this time I install install first disk okay but the second disks keeps stalling at 43% I made a fresh copy of DVDs thinking maybe the 2nd disc was faulty but still the same problem it seems to stop reading the Disc at 43% then just stalls at that. :confused::confused:
Any one have any idea what the problem is?
I have nothing attached to laptop while doing the restore need help someone please:(

#2 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 01:04 PM

Hi Angel does it tell you what the names of the missing files are? this will greatly help someone, and you said you have done 3 recovery's so did the first two work ? the disk you are using...are these the recovery disk or do you have the genuine windows vista DVD not a CD? dont get the two confused, if using the two dvd's is one for vista and the second for the drivers and hardware?

If you have a recovery partition on the hard drive try this, copied from HP.

Restore the PC to its original condition with the HP Recovery Manager if Windows Vista is not accessible

If the PC cannot launch into Windows, it may still be possible to use the HP Recovery Manager on the hard drive to restore the computer to its original operating condition. The Recovery Manager can be launched during the start up process by following the steps below.

• Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.

NOTE: Pressing the f11 key during the startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.
    • If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
    • If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
    • If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.
  • When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step recovery instructions shown above.

Resolving a common recovery issue.
If the original operating system is changed to a non-Vista OS, the Recovery Manager cannot be launched from either the desktop or by pressing the f11 key on startup. You can use the recovery disc to restore the computer to the original operating condition in Vista. If using an non-Vista OS, you can use a third-party partition manager program to reclaim the hard drive space.

Edited by roadrage, 22 February 2011 - 01:15 PM.

No Keyboard Present, Press F1 to Reboot.

Please make sure on my signature sites below you select the FREE or Trial Version.

6dc9220f-6375-4199-b6c3-4b0a0a5084aa_zps53fa80b1-766f-440f-b8b5-d4ac9ec33c18_zps059fd033-2b56-4d44-a5ad-a61633da7592_zps99919a6f-d2fe-4de5-b822-ca9669982ca1_zps7709c20a-77df-4c4b-9e79-5a9f8b9ed4d1_zpscc_64_zps93884a67.png sp_48.png rc_48.png fixit_logo.png

ubuntu-kylin-chinese.pngbutton.gif    96350e67-ed31-4a14-8cd8-3a7fa7874ca0_zps    fb918677-8234-4ef6-86e4-70bbe2f50833_zps 0ce0d045-ebd1-47d8-831a-3dad0aeddf22_zps  blaster_zpsf98e28a4.jpg

c6c897ab-2ede-4fab-99b3-2cac5c7fa346_zps

:excl:

:excl: Attention about ImgBurn :excl:

* Imgburn version 2.5.8.0* is now bundled with Open Candy if you use imgburn make sure to optout of the Open Candy or go to filehippo.com and download any version lower than 2.5.8.0, these versions do not have Open Candy bundled.

logo.png

#3 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:02 PM

What is the exact model # of the laptop? G60-_____? It should be on a label on the underside of the laptop.

#4 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

Hi Guys,
Laptop just says HP G60 Nothing else!!:confused::confused:
On start up now It says that it can find the boot system, as i've already tried to do a recovery I am not getting the original message with the corrupt files!!
I have tried doing a system restore from the recovery partition on the hard drive but when it gets to 45% it stops. So I've went to the Bios and started laptop to boot from Disc but again I put the first Recovery DVD that I created it loads windows then asks for 2nd DVD and this is the one that now stalls at 43%, I have successfully restored the laptop twice before but now it just keeps hanging at 43%.
I have exactly the same laptop so I have tried my set of System restore DVDs that I created, but again the same problem.
Is there anyway I can transfer my Recovery partition onto my Grandson's laptop as I said they are Identical models or is that not feasible?
Any help would be gratefully accepted as he needs it for his homework.
Thanks

#5 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:39 PM

Hi Angel

I have done more research on this and another solution may be to use a usb recovery flash disk, so instead of using the dvd's you could use a usb thumb drive for the recovery process, I will give you the site to download the flashing utility as well as the directions, I don't know if this will help but it is worth a look see at least, also on further reading there may be a problem with the hard drive itself but lets not go there yet only as a last resort.

The flash utility will be needed to copy the recovery file's to the usb so download that first so you can transfer the recovery files to the usb instead of dvd's they say you will at least need 8 gigs on the usb thumb.

USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility

This is a information page on how and what to's for doing this.

Creating a Recovery Disk on a USB Flash Disk

Addendum: Rats
I see that hp only lets you make a recovery disk one time so the above is not going to work to make a flash usb, how ever you may just give it a try, as I am finding the right tools to make an iso of the DVD's and a good image burner that can burn to a usb. This will be a little bit before I get back to you so please be patient.

Update: This may be the trick to bypass the hp restriction to only make one set of Recovery DVD'S Disk so if this works then we can go with the HP USB Flash Recovery above.

First we need to view hidden files and folders so follow this guide.
Show Hidden Vista Files

Next you will need to go to these Folder files and either rename or delete them.

Search for the following file: hpcd.sys

There will be 2 copies,1 in C:\WINDOWS\SMINST and 1 in the Recovery Drive E:\

Delete or rename both copies of the hpcd.sys files. You can rename them to hpcd1.sys

Now if this works you can do the above to make a HP Recovery USB Flash Drive with the HP Flash Utility .

Let me know.

Edited by roadrage, 22 February 2011 - 08:37 PM.

Please make sure on my signature sites below you select the FREE or Trial Version.

6dc9220f-6375-4199-b6c3-4b0a0a5084aa_zps53fa80b1-766f-440f-b8b5-d4ac9ec33c18_zps059fd033-2b56-4d44-a5ad-a61633da7592_zps99919a6f-d2fe-4de5-b822-ca9669982ca1_zps7709c20a-77df-4c4b-9e79-5a9f8b9ed4d1_zpscc_64_zps93884a67.png sp_48.png rc_48.png fixit_logo.png

ubuntu-kylin-chinese.pngbutton.gif    96350e67-ed31-4a14-8cd8-3a7fa7874ca0_zps    fb918677-8234-4ef6-86e4-70bbe2f50833_zps 0ce0d045-ebd1-47d8-831a-3dad0aeddf22_zps  blaster_zpsf98e28a4.jpg

* Imgburn version 2.5.8.0* is now bundled with Open Candy if you use imgburn make sure to optout of the Open Candy or go to filehippo.com and download any version lower than 2.5.8.0, these versions do not have Open Candy bundled.

logo.png

#6 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks roadrage,
I will give it a go in the morning after I buy a new flash drive
Cheers

#7 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi Angel thanks for the update.

It may be a good idea to check and see if the bypass works first before you get a new thumb drive, I don't want you to spend any $ if you don't have too, but it is handy to have a thumb drive anyway, just make sure it is at least 8 gigs.
One other thing I just noticed you tried,

I have tried doing a system restore from the recovery partition on the hard drive but when it gets to 45% it stops.

Is there an option to do a re-install instead of a system restore from the recovery manager?

Here are the three options are these the same ones you saw from the recovery manager?

It looks like the third option lets you either restore to a factory default or as it says another point in time (restore point) be nice if they (hp) clarified that one a little more...I might be reading into that a little to much as well...lol

The first option lets you select the specific files and folders to restore.

The second option lets you back up your personal data before running the recovery process.

And the third option lets you perform PC Recovery, which helps you restore your system to its factory defaults or another point in time by selecting a recovery point. This is the option you would select in the event of a severe crash or other disaster.

Edited by roadrage, 22 February 2011 - 08:59 PM.

logo.png

#8 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi roadrage,
I got a 16GB USB Drive and I have been trying all day to find the HPCD.sys In C:\WINDOWS\SMINST but there is only these 2 files
CSTRCDC.ini
History.log
On my Recovery drive E: I found this file
HPCD.sys
The only other place I can find the file with that name is in Local C:\ Program Files\SMINST
that is where the other HPCD.sys is.
Is that the one you mean??
As this is on my Laptop which I'm looking for the files on (which is the same as faulty one) I don't really want to go deleting iles on it that I may need at some later date.
No option to do a re-install that I can find on my Grandsons laptop just what you wrote above.
I have just went into the start up Menu of the Laptop and chosen F2 System Diagnostics
and memory passed then F4 for Hard Drive test , got to 2% and , message popped up saying #10008 - Replace Hard Disk 1 then a message (rent test item.) Then it tried to do a full test and same after 2% then another message saying #10008 - Replace Hard Disk 1. The SMART Disk check has detected an imminent failure. So I think the hard drive is looking to be the fault. Trouble is I am not sure what Type of replacement hard drive to get for this model of Laptop or how to replace it!! :(
Angel

Edited by Angel, 23 February 2011 - 02:03 PM.

#9 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

Hi Angel

Yes those are the two files:
C:\ Program Files\SMINST\HPCD.sys and E:\HPCD.sys these are the files that you made your recovery DVD'S from, it is only a one time operation, then after that you cannot do it again...so HP says, you don't have to delete them but you can just rename them instead so that way they are still in those file folders.

Delete or rename both copies of the hpcd.sys files. You can rename them to hpcd1.sys

Now that is great you did the hard drive test and that is not want I wanted to hear from the test, I was hoping and had my fingers crossed for you and grandson that the hard drive was ok, HP has had some problems with the hard drives for laptops and I think that is why you cant do the recovery option, well now it is up to you to decide what you want to try next, also is the computer still under warranty ? HP is good about faulty parts and will replace the hard drive with a new and better one but I am not sure if they will cover the cost for a repairman to install it, now if your grandson has important school files on there that he needs we can do another option and this will be doing a live Ubuntu CD, this is safe and will not do anything to the hard drive at all but will be a linux operating system instead of windows vista, but you will be able to salvage his important documents and any other files he needs, let's weigh the options as I have given you a few and we can go from there, here is my link for the Ubuntu Distros so let me know, so now also get a hold of HP and ask them about the replacement for the bad hard drive (if it is) and don't take no for an answer and don't let them charge you for the cost of a new one, if you want some tips on that let me know I will tell you what to say to them.

Now here is the link for the Ubuntu Distro:
This link here for Ubuntu intro

logo.png

#10 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:51 AM

Hi roadrage, thank you for all your help above, now Grandsons Laptop was a xmas gift in 2009 I bought the 2 Laptops at the same time so now both have just run out of warranty (Hindsight I should have realized his Laptop was faulty as I had to do a system restore a week after I gave it to him ah well water under the bridge now)and the other ones I thought he had downloaded a virus which messed it up!
So looks like I will have to buy a new Hard Drive I don't mind if I really have to but not sure what type I will need I suppose the best bet would be to take the faulty one out and see, but I have never done this before so I'm afraid I will mess his laptop up altogether but Hey Ho I will give it a go.

I will go and get that live Ubuntu CD that you mentioned above and try and restore his homework and his iPod music.

Just been thinking that when I do get the new Hard Drive will I be able to use the restore discs to put Vista back on as HP Do not supply you with a Vista Disc , or will I be able to make an image of my hard drive to put on the new hard drive??
Thanks again for taking the time to help me it is greatly appreciated
Cheers

Edited by Angel, 24 February 2011 - 09:37 AM.

#11 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:20 PM

Maintenance Guide for the G60
http://bizsupport2.a...4/c01602064.pdf

Here is what I would look for as a replacement drive, unfortunately I can't recommend a reliable place to shop in GB.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136197

Yes, the restore discs are for reinstalling Vista, the appropropriate drivers and all of the crapware that came with the laptop. Obviously the first order of business is getting your grandson's data saved before that drive totally quits.

#12 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Update,

I downloaded the Ubuntu Live CD/DVD and burned it to disc with the Image burn software, then just ran it from the CD. Unfortunately I was not able to rescue any of his School-work or Music as the system recovery I had tried earlier before I found this site must have deleted them, but it was helpful in letting me know exactly what type of Hard Drive that is installed along with make and model number so that makes it easier for me to get a new one.

Also I followed your instructions and downloaded the USB Recovery Flash Disk Utility and managed to make a Recovery Disc on the USB Flash Disc I bought, by renaming the 2 files from C:\ Program Files\SMINST\HPCD.sys and E:\HPCD.sys
I have tried to do a recovery with it but alas it also sticks at 45% .
They all reformat the Windows partition of the Hard Disc Drive bit all stick at 45% when trying to Reinstall the original content I have tried using the USB Flash disc the DVD's and the Hard Drive so I think it is a new Hard Drive that is needed, or are there any other options I can try??
I also managed to find out where on the Laptop the Hard Drive is so I have attempted to remove it and put it back so I am a bit more confident that I may be able to fit another if needed, I will just need to know how to get Windows Vista installed again.
Will I be able to use the Recovery discs to reinstall it or do I have to get a copy of Vista. So that's where I'm up to so far :0)

#13 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

Hi bucksfanjimj.

Thanks for your Help, I managed to find that model of Hard Drive from Amazon so I have ordered it to replace the faulty one, but unfortunately I have tried but been unable to get any of my grandsons saved data,school work or music from his laptop using the Ubuntu Live CD/DVD, but I will keep trying before the new drive arrives.

Thanks for finding that Maintenance Guide for the G60 I had no joy when I was looking so I really appreciate your help.

Personally I do not like Vista so I bought a copy if Windows XP, I thought of installing in my Laptop, just not sure if it will have all the drivers I need and cause me more trouble than it's worth installing it so not done it yet, would you recommend XP over Vista?
Cheers for all your help guys :)

Edited by Angel, 24 February 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#14 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

Hi Angel
Sorry that the hard drive went south, you should have tried to contact HP first because the specific hard drives for that notebook model and others have gone south so yours is not the only one, one of the sites I viewed about the bad hard drives and the person who contacted them got a replacement for it for free and they gave him one with additional extra gigs and a different brand model of hard drive...if you got the same kind of hard drive chances are this may happen again but I will cross my fingers and toes for ya.

As for the operating system you should be able to install Vista again from the DVD's or usb, as for Win XP that is a good choice but you may want to weigh the options for Windows 7, just keep the cost in mind, as an example if you have Vista it will be cheaper to buy an upgrade to Win 7 than a full blown Win 7 install disk, but for my 2 cents worth I always go for the full blown install cd's...but XP goes for a good bargain these days anyway.

Edited by roadrage, 25 February 2011 - 12:06 AM.

logo.png

#15 Angel

Angel

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi roadrage,
The laptop's warranty has just ran out in December so I did not think that HP would have replaced the faulty drive, so I just ordered another one.
Now when the new Hard Drive comes and I install it into the Laptop can you tell me how I go about formatting it and getting the recovery partition back on it, this is where I will have problems so any help and advice here will be great.
Cheers :)

#16 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Hey Angel

The laptop's warranty has just ran out in December

Sometimes that does not matter, if it is a faulty part...it is what it is just that, it's like a car that is on a recall list, your warranty on the car is gone but if a part is faulty they recall it back and fix it for free no matter how long you had it...so your computer has the HP emblem on it but the insides come from everywhere and are not HP specific one company makes the ram another the hard drive and another the cpu and so on.

can you tell me how I go about formatting it and getting the recovery partition back on it

You will need to make two partitions on the hard drive one partition for Windows and everything and the second partition for the recovery drive, let me know when the new hard drive arrives and send me a reply here to my inbox we can go from there, just make sure to have some free time maybe up to two hours, we can do this in real time instead of waiting for reply's as that can take a while or even days, the main thing is to stick with one person on this as there are some real good techs here and if I go in my stealth mode again (RR does nation wide deployments so he is gone sometimes and in Ninja Mode...lol) you will need them.

logo.png

#17 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi bucksfanjimj.

Thanks for your Help, I managed to find that model of Hard Drive from Amazon so I have ordered it to replace the faulty one, but unfortunately I have tried but been unable to get any of my grandsons saved data,school work or music from his laptop using the Ubuntu Live CD/DVD, but I will keep trying before the new drive arrives.

Thanks for finding that Maintenance Guide for the G60 I had no joy when I was looking so I really appreciate your help.

Personally I do not like Vista so I bought a copy if Windows XP, I thought of installing in my Laptop, just not sure if it will have all the drivers I need and cause me more trouble than it's worth installing it so not done it yet, would you recommend XP over Vista?
Cheers for all your help guys :)

I would check with HP's support site to see if XP drivers are available before installing XP. I do agree with RR on considering W7 over Vista. Again check HP's site for those drivers as well.

I don't think you'll be able to recreate the recovery partition. That comes from the factory, which is why you have the recovery discs.

http://welcome.hp.co...en/support.html