Photo
- - - - -

HP Pavilion dv8000 shuts off

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 michaelkoontz1

michaelkoontz1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

I have a friends Pavilion dv8000 laptop that has been giving him trouble. Boots up, Splash screen, gets to desktop and then 45sec - 1min-30sec after it just shuts off..no log out no "hey I'm shutting down" sound, just "pull the plug" OFF.

I looked this issue up online and found that it may be a heat issue and several others have had the same problem so I followed what they did. Took it apart cleaned and applied new heat sink paste and reseated. Put it back together and it's doing the same thing. The fan seems to be working fine and I can't check the temp because the bios doesn't have that feature.

I have tested the memory modules one by one...same result. I have also attempted to run the "Hard Drive Check" in the bios and it still shuts off...Any Ideas? HELP!

#2 Wallace

Wallace

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:05 PM

try re sitting the heat sink again. When I replaced mobo for a big companny doing 10 a day some would come back with what you explained and we either re sit the heat sink or even some times just put a new heat sink on if it did it again. Also not recomended check the bios for a fail safe if it over heats. All the ones I have experenced will reset than loop over and over.

#3 michaelkoontz1

michaelkoontz1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hey, while I have it open, should I go ahead and replace the fan?

#4 Wallace

Wallace

New Geek

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:28 PM

if its clean and seems to spin right than no, unless its like a dollar or two and you want to.

#5 michaelkoontz1

michaelkoontz1

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

ok,...here is what I did. I got a new fan/heatsync installed it...same result. Now, I know that the battery is shot so it has to be plugged in to run...could it be the power supply?