Photo
- - - - -

Toshiba Laptop Blank Screen on Startup. If comes on, restarts when I bend the screen

screen capture

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

Toshiba A205-S5000 Laptop running Windows Vista

Most of the time the screen remains blank when I turn it on, although the rest of the laptop seems to work.
No flicker or anything - just completely blank.

Sometimes the screen will come on and the computer seems fine, but when I bend the screen at all forward or backwards a blue screen comes up and it restarts.

The error messages that come up change every time, so I don't think they are relevant...but I can list them if someone thinks they will help.

External monitor doesn't help when the screen is blank...works fine when the screen works.

People have told me probably the motherboard. Or maybe an exposed wire to the screen is short circuitting other things.

I am willing to open the laptop up and look around, but obviously I'm not super savvy.

Thanks for any help..

#2 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Sounds like the LCD ribbon to me, just to be on the safe side, remove hard drive, wifi card, and one stick of RAM and try to power on. If it does the same it is probably related to the LCD enclosure. Easy way to see if it is motherboard or LCD related would be to remove the lcd assembly and power on with an external monitor attached. If it works flawlessly then you know where to start looking.

#3 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Don't have a whole lot of experience taking laptops apart.... the lcd assembly...do you mean the whole top part of the laptop? Or just unhook the place where the 2 wires connect to the bottom part of the comp from the top part?

#4 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:05 PM

Basically the laptop comes in 2 halves, the top and bottom bezel assembly containing the motherboard and the LCD assembly. For all intents and purposes, unhooking the LCD ribbon, mic, and camera cables should be sufficient. The LCD ribbon would be the bigger cable connecting the motherboard to the LCD screen/inverter and coming from the left side. The cables coming from the right side of the LCD assembly are your mic and camera(if you have them). Disconnect these possibly 2 or 3 wires and do as I stated above by removing other peripherals and connect to an external monitor. Be VERY careful when doing all this as not to rip/tear any cables, break any plastic or short anything out. Sure you know this but do all of this without the battery or AC plugged into it. Once you have everything done, plug in the AC adapter and hit the power button to see what occurs.

#5 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:11 PM

thanks for clarifying. I'll let you know how it goes

#6 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:46 PM

Okay so I took the top completely off, hooked up an external and got nothing. Everything seems to start like before, but the screen remains blank. Is it possible I disconnected something that would screw with the external? The external definitely works...

Assuming I didn't mess something up when I took the lcd off.... Is it probably the motherboard at this point? Any other suggestions of things I can take out?

It seems so weird that moving the screen would screw with the motherboard somehow...unless moving the screen triggers some weird settings or something...

Thanks for any help

#7 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

Is this what your motherboard looks like?
http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3cb8db2ace

If so, I do not see an onboard VGA/HDMI port on it so I'm assuming that the VGA port is on a small separate board that connects to the motherboard via a little cable. Look and see if you can find this cable and remove and reattach to both the VGA board and motherboard. Its a long shot but worth a try. After doing this if it still wont work out of the onboard VGA, with it on there is a key combination that is the "Fn", function key, and usually "F3" or "F4" i think, try that to see if its having trouble auto moving between LCD and VGA.

#8 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:22 AM

Yep that's my board. The vga port is on a separate cable that kind of disappears underneath the motherboard.... I don't think the Fn thing is an issue...When it did work on every 1 out of 50 tries it would automatically just display it on both the external and the lcd.

Thanks again for the response

#9 pedroj012

pedroj012

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:40 AM

On another note.....haha

Got any experience buying motherboards over ebay?

#10 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 09:59 AM

Lol yea actually a lot, but honestly I have seen both similar issues with the screen moved and the video cutting out and trouble getting external video and not all the time was it motherboard related. Honestly if I was in your predicament I would start with the LCD ribbon since that seems to be at least one issue and should be inexpensive to replace (around $20 prolly). If I had to bet a new ribbon or LCD screen will fix this problem.
That being said with this issue the motherboard could be the problem but I can remember a few times I just nonchalantly chalked it up to a bad mobo only to get the new one in and still have the issue. Words of wisdom, start with the most likely and cheapest part.

P.S. when buying any part on ebay, search by the actual product number on the part itself first to ensure accuracy of the part. Should be a label/sticker on it somewhere with a long string of letters and numbers for the LCD ribbon it's something to the affect of K00000XXXXXX with the X's being random numbers/letters. LCD screens tell you specifically what model number they are and motherboards should have a similar format to the ribbon for toshibas. If that doesn't pull anything up, broaden the search to your model number of the laptop and the part name: "Toshiba A205-S500 motherboard". If still nothing, search the broadest: "A205 motherboard". Just be sure to read the entire listing and make sure you know the part is in working order, from a respected seller, has some form of return, and is in fact the right part. Emailing the seller with those questions is acceptable.
Pretty much your call now so best of luck. Let me know what you decide and how you end up getting it fixed.
Hope any of this helped.

#11 computerrepairschaumburg

computerrepairschaumburg

New Geek

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:54 AM

try googline some terms for local computer repair as well because its sometimes cheaper than buying a new mobo or less frustration anyways. good terms to search through google are computer repair + city you live in or BGA reballing + city.. something like this. Sometimes you can even call the guys at those businesses to validate your concerns.