Photo
- - - - -

Windows 7 won't load on Dell Inspiron 1545

dell inspiron 1545 startup repair windows 7 problem

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#1 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

My son's computer turns on starts up and shows starting Windows and loading files. Loading files goes on for a long time. Eventually we get to "Startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically". The problem details are:

Problem Signature:

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem signature 02: 6.1.7600.1638

Problem signature 03: unknown

Problem signature 04: 21200682

Problem signature 05: AutoFailure

Problem signature 06: 29

Problem signature 07: No Root Cause

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Local ID: 1033

Dell replaced the hard drive last year, different problem.

System Restore does not work

No dignostics makes it through the whole process, have tried most options to start and repair with no success.

When we try to reinstall Windows 7 from disk asks for utiltites and drivers, inset provided disk, now are read on disk.

What can we do?

What is wrong?

Thanks,

Moe

#2 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Run diagnostics on it. Boot up and press F12 as it booting. Select Diagnostics.

http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1100102

#3 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

Everything passes and it runs fine until, "no problems have been found with this system so far. Do you want to run the remaining the memory tests?" I respond yes, and diagnositcs stops working. I think I stopped it while it was working. :-( <-- This part of the diagnostic did run in a later run.

Edited by mdmoe, 09 July 2011 - 12:32 PM.

#4 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:47 PM

I just ran it again and it it testing after yes; more to come later. :-)

#5 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

I get to "Booting Dell diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue" I press a key and that is where it stops running. :-(
It did run in a later diasnostic attempt.

Edited by mdmoe, 09 July 2011 - 12:33 PM.

#6 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I am running the diagnostic on this link from my utilities/driver disk. I'll report back the results.
THANKS!!

#7 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

Diagnostics ran all night. :-) Extended test resulted in only one error code: 4400:011A MSG: SCSI_0-000_DISK_GENERIC_MULTICARD-TARGET not ready. I think this resuted after the diagnositc test opened the disk drive and couldn't close it afterwards.(?)

I ran "cannot boot OS" dignostic and all tests passed. When I exited the diagnositc tree message "DELLDIAG.BAT Missing" came on the screen.

I ran more tests from the utilties disk and the same error code was returned and it didn't have anything to do with the disk drive opening and closing. 4400:011A MSG: SCSI_0-000_DISK_GENERIC_MULTICARD-TARGET not ready. What does this mean and what can I do?

thanks

Edited by mdmoe, 10 July 2011 - 01:01 PM.

#8 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 08:40 AM

Can you get into Safe Mode, tap F8 on startup? Also, download Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest and Maxtor Hard Drive test:
http://www.pctechbyt...7321#post127321

If those all pass you will probably need to backup his documents and do a reinstall of the OS.

#9 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:02 PM

I tried safe mode and eventually got the same results. I ran diagnositics from Utility Cd and got nowhere. I could not reinstall Windows 7, got to need drivers and put in the driver/utility CD and it didn't ready any drivers. So I figured it was the hard drive and bought a new one. Went to reinstall Windows and am now having the same need for drivers and none showing up on the driver/utilities CD. If I put ithe CD in my desktop it comes up having them, at least it want to procede to run an install program. What's up????

#10 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

You can download all the drivers off of the manufacturer's website if need be. What did memtest and Maxtor Hard drive test say? Did they pass or fail? Sounds like your optical drive is malfunctioning to me and if you just need a working PC in the mean time, I would download and run the drivers from their respective sites. If you cant find them, list the make and model of your computer if it is a store bought or the make and model of all the hardware installed in the machine.

#11 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I downlaod the files and am burning to a disk, but have gotten rerrors on burning, i.e. "17:36:20 Failed to Read Sector 0 - Reason: Unrecovered Read Error" & "W 17:36:26 Failed to Read Sector 1 - Reason: ID CRC or ECC Error" for the other sectors
... and now during verification 17:51:26 Failed to Read Sector 173 - Reason: ID CRC or ECC Error" & "W 17:54:40 Sector 206 maps to File: \antivir\antivir"

I have gone in and changed the boot order.

I did donwload the drivers from Dell onto a USB and it didnt read any dirvers on it either.

I just started over and it appears to be working this time. I'll report results of memtest and Maxtor Hard drive soon.

THANKS!!

I am having problems creating the ultimate boot CD. I am gong to start all over. :-(

Edited by mdmoe, 12 July 2011 - 06:58 PM.

#12 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

If I was in your shoes, I would borrow a CD/DVD drive from a friend or another PC in the house and throw it in this one to see if it is just the optical drive causing all these issues. I have seen those and modems do some very weird things.
Or buying a new one off Newegg or Tigerdirect is only $15-$20 or you could even go with a USB optical drive. Have you tried plugging your USB thumb drive into the other USB ports on the back just to make sure it isnt a bad USB port?

#13 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

I tried to create the Ultimate Boot CD and finally had success, however when I ran it in the computer and selected the UBCD. I got a continuous repetition of one error message rapidly scrolling.

The CD/DVD drive is reading the reinstall Windows CD and the computer loads until it asks for the drivers then it doesn't read them on the recover CD. I used one USB port for the drivers and it didn't find them. I am going to try another port. Still didn't find them.

#14 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Does this computer only have 1 CD/DVD drive on it? If you have multiple, try using the other one with the Boot CD.

#15 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

It is a laptop and has only one CD/DVD drive. The drive reads the Window 7 reinstall CD ok. It reads the Ultimate Boot CD to the menu, when I click the Ultimate Boot option it goes into the scrolling error message: Invalid opcode at 00B 0000 0403 0911 026A 0702 0A83 0D96 22C6 0000 0000 0000. Do I need to redo the Ultimate Boot CD?

#16 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

Immediately after you boot to the CD you should see the following:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
Look at the first screenshot on the page with the words "BIOS" "CPU" "HDD" and so on. Click on "HDD", then "DIAGNOSIS", then "Powermax V4" doesnt matter which version, it will load Powermax and you will be asked to hit "F8" twice, then scroll to your hard drive and select it, then select "Advanced test", let that complete till it says pass or fail.
Then reboot and when the UBCD comes up select "MEMORY", then "Memtest86 V3.5" or whatever version u wish. Let that run atleast 2 passes.

#17 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

Ok, I get to the second F8 and instead of getting an opportunity to select I get a DOS prompt: A:\>

#18 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Reboot and try again, as soon as you see the first "Hit F8" hit it two times in succession and see if it goes. If not try running memtest and see if it works. After going back and reading your posts, I have an idea if this is still possible. Did you already try to reformat the drive and reload Windows? If not and you still have your original Windows installation on the drive, I would open up the case side and unplug everything other than the power supply. Remove the data cable to the CD drive, remove all USB connectors to the motherboard, and audio connectors. Basically all you should have is this: motherboard with processor/heatsink and RAM, Hard drive data cable connected to motherboard w/ power from power supply, Power supply connected to motherboard. Connect only the monitor and power on, where does it error at now?

#19 mdmoe

mdmoe

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

I did not consciously reformat the drive. I tried to reload Windows 7 and got to loadng the drivers and it does not find drivers on the driver/utilities CD or he USB. Hitting F8 twice fast still got me to the A:\> prompt. It is a laptop and I have only been inside one and am not sure I can pull off your recommendations. :-( I am running memtest and will let you know the results. Thanks for all hour help!

#20 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sorry got a different thread about a desktop stuck in my head when I wrote the last post.
Try this out instead, SeaTools:
http://www.seagate.c...000dd04090aRCRD