Photo
- - - - -

HP laptop display not working, external on VGA works, but not HDMI ???

display hdmi hdx16 lcd vga

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmvela626

rmvela626

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

Laptop: HP HDX16 (model: X16t-1200) Mfg. in June 2009

Okay, I closed my laptop, moved to a different desk and when I opened it up the display flickered and darkened. I adjusted the display, tilting it back, for the right viewing angle and it just went blank. Can't get it to work at all now.

So I connected an external monitor via VGA and it worked. However, I tried connecting the tv via HDMI and it would not work. The laptop is configured to display an extension of the desktop on the tv, and the tv was on the correct input. Wouldn't work. Took the laptop apart to check the display connection and it was good, not loose, etc.

Obviously the video card didn't go out because it worked on the external via VGA...but why not the HDMI all of the sudden? Also is the display itself bad or something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

-Matt

#2 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

Did you physically reseat the connection to the motherboard and on the back of the LCD? If you move the LCD enclosure, will the picture come in and out? On the area of the LCD ribbon where it leaves the LCD enclosure and goes through the palmrest/top bezel, is there any breakage/burn marks on that "elbow" section?

Usually, if this laptop wasnt dropped or hit in the LCD, this is a LCD ribbon issue with a broken wire. Should be able to find a replacement on ebay.

#3 rmvela626

rmvela626

New Geek

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 04:37 AM

I did physically reseat the connection to the motherboard, but not on the back of the LCD. The picture does not come in or out by moving the display. I examined the ribbon where it exits the LCD enclosure and did not see any damage to the wires.

I am able to easily disconnect the display from the laptop, however I am a little unsure of how to removed the LCD to check the connection on the back. I will give it a try though.

Thanks

#4 Dr_Bob

Dr_Bob

VIP

• Registered
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Its been a while since Ive taken one of these apart but if I remember, these can be a little difficult to remove. Here is a guide I found for replacing the LCD screen and it seems like it should be right:

http://www.batteryst...n-p-201688.html