Photo
- - - - -

Vostro 3300 (Windows 7) Won't Boot - stuck in Infinite Loop!

acer blank screen burn can't turn on tm6291

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Supersimmo

Supersimmo

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone has any experience/suggestions as to how to fix the following problem.

This morning, my Dell Vostro 3300 (windows 7 OS) failed to load correctly when I turned it on, instead taking me to a screen where i could choose to either 'fix start-up repair' or 'start as normal mode'. I tried both options (repeatedly) and whilst the computer did do something (it went to the normal loading screen briefly for the latter option), it eventually came back to the exact same screen.

I turned it off and on before trying again, and this time it went to a blue screen with a white cursor (it stayed like this for 10 minutes) with no clickable icons/start menu of any kind.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the computer event got to the Windows start up repair menu and tried to fix the problem from there. I selected System Restore first, but apparently the System had no point which it could restore to. I then tried to select the first option (I believe that was Start-up repair) which the system executed, but I was brought back to that screen once more.

After trying unsuccessfully to get my laptop to work like this, I finally decided to select the bottom option, which was to restore to Factory Settings, as I do have a fairly recent back-up of important documents. I followed the instructions through and was told that I had been successful, and invited to restart the computer again.

However, upon restarting the laptop - and on every subsequent time I switch the power on - I am now stuck in an infinite loop between the Dell starting screen and a screen containing just the message (at the bottom) that 'Windows is loading files'. The bar at the bottom of this screen fills twice, before the screen reverts back to the Dell starting screen and the loop begins again.

Does anyone have any idea what is wrong and what steps I should take next?

Thank-you.

#2 roadrage

roadrage

PCTechBytes Elite

• Registered
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hi Super,

After trying unsuccessfully to get my laptop to work like this, I finally decided to select the bottom option, which was to restore to Factory Settings, as I do have a fairly recent back-up of important documents. I followed the instructions through and was told that I had been successful, and invited to restart the computer again.

You may try the option to restore to factory settings again, it might go through the second time, also is this a Restore option from Windows 7 or is this the Dell Restore partition on your HDD ? and do you have any DVD restore disc for this notebook ?

#3 Supersimmo

Supersimmo

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Hi Super,

You may try the option to restore to factory settings again, it might go through the second time, also is this a Restore option from Windows 7 or is this the Dell Restore partition on your HDD ? and do you have any DVD restore disc for this notebook ?

Hi Roadrage - thanks for your response. I wish I could restore to factory again but the menu that led to that screen won't appear anymore - it's just the loop.

It was from the Dell Restore partition on the Hard Disk. Sadly, I don't have any recovery disks - I was told upon purchase that it was unnecessary to make them for this machine. I can get hold of Dell recovery disks (made for a different kind of Dell - still with windows 7 as the OS) if that might help?

#4 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

"It was from the Dell Restore partition on the Hard Disk. Sadly, I don't have any recovery disks - I was told upon purchase that it was unnecessary to make them for this machine."

Whoever told you that was full of BS. Fact of the matter is hard drives do die. For about $20 bucks you should be able to get a set of recovery discs from Dell for your specific model. Also included in the OS is a program designed to make a set of recovery discs just for these types of situations. That is the first thing one should do after purchasing a new pc.

http://support.dell....c=us&l=en&s=dhs

In the meantime, I would download and run the Ultimate Boot CD. Find Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and memtest 86+ on UBCD and run those diagnostics on your laptop. Hitachi Drive Fitness Test will, hence the name, test the hard drive and memtest will put your RAM through it's paces. Allow memtest to run about 4 hours.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

Edited by bucksfanjimj, 27 May 2012 - 11:39 PM.

"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" - Source unknown

#5 Supersimmo

Supersimmo

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:36 AM

"It was from the Dell Restore partition on the Hard Disk. Sadly, I don't have any recovery disks - I was told upon purchase that it was unnecessary to make them for this machine."

Whoever told you that was full of BS. Fact of the matter is hard drives do die. For about $20 bucks you should be able to get a set of recovery discs from Dell for your specific model. Also included in the OS is a program designed to make a set of recovery discs just for these types of situations. That is the first thing one should do after purchasing a new pc.

http://support.dell....c=us&l=en&s=dhs

In the meantime, I would download and run the Ultimate Boot CD. Find Hitachi Drive Fitness Test and memtest 86+ on UBCD and run those diagnostics on your laptop. Hitachi Drive Fitness Test will, hence the name, test the hard drive and memtest will put your RAM through it's paces. Allow memtest to run about 4 hours.

http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/index.html

Thanks. Do I simply download the Ultimate boot CD onto a CD and try to run it from this on the broken machine upon boot up?

#6 bucksfanjimj

bucksfanjimj

• Moderators
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

You will need to "write" the iso file of UBCD to a blank cd. Then boot the laptop with it. I use a program called imgburn to burn iso files. It's free. There are other free programs out there as well. If you already have Nero or Roxio, they are capable as well.

You will need to go into BIOS of the laptop and set the optical drive as first in the boot order so that UBCD will run. I'm not sure what happend to the tutorial that Dr._Bob had written or I would point you to that. If I find it, I will include here in this post.

One of our UBCD guides-
http://www.pctechbyt...omputer Repair)

Here is the one I was looking for-
http://www.pctechbyt...ltimate-Boot-CD

Edited by bucksfanjimj, 28 May 2012 - 09:51 AM.

"Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" - Source unknown

#7 Supersimmo

Supersimmo

New Geek

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Thank-you, I'll let you know how it goes. I appreciate your time!