Photo
- - - - -

The browser youre using refuses to sign in(cookies rejected)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 MiyamotoM

MiyamotoM

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Suddenly, seemingly for no reason, my Mozilla browser will not allow me to login to my yahoo mail account. I cannot access any other forum sites that require cookies, either. I uninstalled Mozilla and am now using FireFox and I still have the same issue. When I use IE, everything goes smoothly.

I run Win2kPro, a Netgear "ProSafe VPN Firewall" (hardware, of course), Norton Internet Securities 2003 and Norton AV '03. Before you cringe, Norton has saved me many hardships in the past. I've disabled both Norton apps and still had the same problem. I've looked through the options, even though I know them all already and nothing relating to blocking cookies was enabled. I set all three browsers to allow all cookies and still only IE works.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - before I reinstall and upgrade to XP Pro. =)

#2 wellies

wellies

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:53 PM

This answer may seem a silly answer but I have come across this reason for cookies causing login troubles a few times:

Check the date, including the year, on your computer clock. Well ...I said it was silly didn't I? :) But it's a quick thing to look at ...and it really can cause the problem.

#3 MiyamotoM

MiyamotoM

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 02:56 PM

Nah, my clock is situated correctly. I know a lot more than the average Joe about computers, but still far less than a knowledgeable professional.

#4 wellies

wellies

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:10 PM

Oh well ...just a thought. Maybe it'll be that another time. :) The last time I came across a forum thread where the wrong year on the clock turned out to be the cause of the problem, just about everything had been tried. The clock being wrong isn't something immediately thought of. A pity it wasn't that this time. I would have appeared to be a bit of an ace if it had been. :D

#5 Cyrus_the_Virus

Cyrus_the_Virus

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:52 PM

lower your security settings for mozilla?

#6 MiyamotoM

MiyamotoM

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:16 PM

"I set all three browsers to allow all cookies and still only IE works."

I did that and it still didn't work.

However, after installing FireFox and after I posted here, I searched through the FireFox options and found that it was blocking cookies for the sites I wanted to access. So I removed the blocks and things are still not working correctly. The message I receive when I try to sign in to Yahoo! is no longer "The browser you're using refuses to sign in. (cookies rejected)", but instead it just asks me for my password constantly. "Password verification." No access to e-mail. The response from other sites is a failure to login. It seems my cookies are expiring the moment I get them, but I have my FireFox options set to only expire after I close the program.

I currently have no idea what is wrong. Please help and thanks in advance.

#7 wellies

wellies

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:49 AM

What happens if you turn off any kind of cookie control in Firefox. Tick the 'Allow sites to set cookies' box and select the option to keep cookies 'until they expire'.

Does Yahoo now let you in if the password is typed? If you are setting cookies to expire when the browser is closed, then the cookie won't be there (or won't be current) to automatically log you into sites next time you go back. Maybe clear the cookies and start again with the'until they expire' option set and see how that goes.

#8 MiyamotoM

MiyamotoM

New Geek

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:28 PM

Ah, I feel stupid; I figured out the problem. Thank you for your help. For the sake of learning I will explain my mistake.

When the trouble began I was visitng a website. I needed to find out some information within my cookie directory so to make things easier I deleted them all with the plan to revisit the site and thus recreate the cookies I need to inspect. I didn't know this would have happened, but upon deletion of the cookies my browser somehow set each cookie's website to block all future cookies because I deleted them. So when I went back to the site I could not log in, nor to any other site that I normally visit that requires cookies. In my frustration I uninstalled Mozilla and installed FireFox, hoping to solve the problem. However, my hidden mistake was transfering all the settings and bookmarks over from my other browser. So the same problem was transfered to FireFox. In the FireFox options, I looked in the Exceptions button under Privacy and saw a bunch of sites that were blocked for cookies. I removed all of those this morning and now everything works. : ) Thanks for the effort. Good day