Photo
- - - - -

Motherboard power light comes on, but will not boot up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dynamicg

Dynamicg

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:06 PM

I brought my PC home from college for the break and when I returned I hooked everything up and turn it on. It didnt' turn on the first time but took a couple of pushes of the power buton. It finally turned on. I turned it off and swapped out to my parents PC.

Today when I decided to swap back again, my PC will not boot up. The Power light on the motherboard will come on, but the PC will not boot up. I checked all the connections, and I unhooked the power switch on the front and replugged it in. Is it a problem with my power supply? If the supply was damaged would the light still come on?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,388 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 10:11 PM

Could be the power supply, but my first guess would be that something was jarred loose inside. Unplug the PC, then lay it on a sturdy flat surface under a bright light and gently press down on all of the cards, memory, and power connections. Check the CPU to make sure the lock-down lever didn't come loose.

Let us know if you find anything.

#3 Dynamicg

Dynamicg

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 01:10 AM

Hey, thanks for the responce. I tried to get everything in order and I've checked all of the connections, and they all seem to be plugged in and in order. Would the light on the board still come on if the power supply was bad? Thanks again

#4 Dave@Bytes

Dave@Bytes

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 33,388 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 02:14 AM

The light COULD still come on. Do you have any other activity? Fans or Hard Drive spinning?

It could even be a dead CPU, but I'm less likely to believe you killed the processor just by transporting the computer home.

Power supplies are easy to switch out. If you have another computer you could "borrow" one from that would be a good way to find out for sure.

#5 Dynamicg

Dynamicg

New Geek

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 12:40 PM

There is no activity at all, the light comes on and then nothing else happens, no fans spinning or anything at all. It just stays dead.

#6 steven

steven

New Geek

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 December 2003 - 03:59 PM

check to see if the 115\220 switch slightly moved on the back of the power supply it a little red switch.it should be set to 115v.Also are you still using the same monitor from school or and older unit???