leprince2007

Can I Make all files in all partition (read-only)?

Question

Peace be upon you
I want a program to make all files in all partition (read-only) except partition c.Because My pc contains a lot of important stuff.
I want to do this because my little brothers play on it and I fear they may delete anything.
>>>I used 
Folder Guard Professional 8.5 (It hides , locks,read-only files)

In normal condition,protection on ,when I delete any file ,a message appear "the files are read only"

But when,protection off,when I delete Some files(not all files) the are deleted and they appear again.

I have HP8200+1TB Blue WD

Please help me.

12 answers to this question

Why dont you put the important files on a removable HDD or USB drive?  Then you can remove it whenever you are not using it so they cant get to it.  Or you can make them their own account, a standard user account not an admin account, and then they cannot see whatever you have in your account.

I want a program to make all my partitions read-only except partition c

Go as high as you can in the directory tree, make a new folder called "F:" or whatever drive name you want to name it.  Move the remaining folders in the new folder, and then in properties say read only.

The normal way to make a folder read-only doesn`t work properly.You still can delete it.I need a program??

What you need are user and file permissions.

Windows has pre installed user groups, like the "users" group and "administrators."  You can create a group yourself, and put various users in that group.  But in the end, you give these groups or individual user accounts, permissions.  To see what I am talking about, go to your drive you want restrictions, right click, go to properties, then the security tab.  Those are user groups and users.  The permissions are listed.  It has been a really long time since I got into permissions, but it isn't as straight forward as you think.  I would research permissions on Microsoft's website, because there are also deny permissions as well.  What I would do is create a user account for whomever is going to be using your computer, remotely or locally, and then assign permissions to these accounts on the drive itself.  This I believe cascades to everything in the drive.  The only entity that would be able to change these permissions would be the administrative group.

I agree, you don't need any other programs to do what you want to accomplish. Windows can handle it all. I would create a Standard User account for your brother and then work with the folder permissions to deny him modify access. Even with the default Standard rights, he should not be able to go into your user account and delete anything. He will be restricted to his little bubble.

Thank you all for your help.But I used this method before and it has a lot of disadvantages:

1-It takes me a lot of time to accompolish it because I want all my partitions to be read-only.

2-It may corrupt files by denyng access to them as I change windows several times a year.

I want a program to do it because it has few steps to do it and more safe.

Waiting your help

On 1/18/2017 at 5:15 AM, leprince2007 said:

I want a program to do it because it has few steps to do it and more safe.

Waiting your help

You probably aren't going to find recommendations like that.  No one thinks thats more safe here.  We simply do not trust 3rd party file protection apps in general and for good reason.

On 1/23/2017 at 1:35 PM, ComputerRepairTech said:

You probably aren't going to find recommendations like that.  No one thinks thats more safe here.  We simply do not trust 3rd party file protection apps in general and for good reason.

So,tell me Where can I find my purpose,please ??

Try using to file sync on all files and folders to a drive and right-click the drive, property, and set it as read-only, or plus hidden. It's done, dude.

Hi leprince2007,

You can do all the partitioning you want and hide the partitions but still someone can get into it,  I would make the files in question hidden and in read only mode.  You can do that by going to the file and selecting properties.