kemperhills

Boot, no boot

Question

I am working on a computer that was self built and was working fine until one day the owner tried to boot that computer. 

When the computer is turned on sometimes the monitors won't work but the computer seems to boot as I  have to hold the power button for several seconds to get the computer to shut down.

Other time, this is most of the time, when the computer gets past the BIOS screen a black screen with: "Invalid system disk  Replace the disk, and then press any key" appears.  There is no disk in the ROM. The HD is a 750 GB WD and checks fine.  I have checked the RAM with no errors.  If I tap any key several times it will finishing booting sometimes and sometimes it won't

When the computer boots it works fine.  Any suggestions. Thanks.

15 answers to this question

What are the other specs in this machine?  Does it have a video card?  BIOS up to the latest firmware?

27 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

What are the other specs in this machine?  Does it have a video card?  BIOS up to the latest firmware?

It has an Intel DG965RY board, old I know, four GB DDR2 RAM.  It has a 750 GB HD that passed Vivard's test.  I used Memtest on the Ram with four passes with no errors.  It has an Intel Pentium 4 641 Cedar Mill processor and a 775 socket.   It has a Radeon 4300 graphics card set up in split screen mode. The chipset is P965/G965 and the bios is MQ96510J.86A and according to Intel it is the latest bios version.   If I have missed anything you need please tell me.  Thanks.

Edited by kemperhills

Everything Im reading is saying that this board has onboard graphics.  Have you tried it for a long period of time w/o the GPU installed?

5 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Everything Im reading is saying that this board has onboard graphics.  Have you tried it for a long period of time w/o the GPU installed?

No hadn't tried that as I was trying to get it to work as the customer uses it.  But I will take the GPU our and see if it does it with the onboard graphics.  Thanks.

Its always less fun to do troubleshooting with a live PC.  Hopefully he doesnt do anything really graphically intense with the computer and removing the GPU wont really hurt his performance.  If it works all you will have to do is replace it if it is still under your warranty.

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:45 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Its always less fun to do troubleshooting with a live PC.  Hopefully he doesnt do anything really graphically intense with the computer and removing the GPU wont really hurt his performance.  If it works all you will have to do is replace it if it is still under your warranty.

Bob, I tried it with the onboard Graphics with the same result.  I had a motherboard lying around and an HD and I loaded the HD with windows and everything worked find.  I put the HD in the computer and got the same message and now the computer won't load at all.  After the BIOS I get "Starting Windows" and when the Microsoft icon gets together the computer tries to reboot and over and over the same trying to reboot. 

I really believe something is wrong with the motherboard.  Thanks.

One thing you could try with the faulty mobo is a firmware upgrade.  Other than that you are likely looking at a replacement mobo.  Since the HDD and RAM test fine and it does it with or without the GPU, odds are in the mobos favor.

You may have to do a Windows Repair to get your Windows working fine with the new motherboard.

1 hour ago, Dr_Bob said:

One thing you could try with the faulty mobo is a firmware upgrade.  Other than that you are likely looking at a replacement mobo.  Since the HDD and RAM test fine and it does it with or without the GPU, odds are in the mobos favor.

You may have to do a Windows Repair to get your Windows working fine with the new motherboard.

Well. am I right, there is not way to do a firmware upgrade since the computer won't even boot now.  Are is there a way?  Thanks.

You can try a Windows Repair on one of the HDD to get into Windows.

Here is the BIOSupdate manual with many ways to do it as well as outside of Windows: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/17520/eng/BIOS Update Readme.pdf

Here is the link to all of the available BIOS updates, make sure yours is an older one than the newer one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/22637/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG965RY

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:22 PM, Dr_Bob said:

You can try a Windows Repair on one of the HDD to get into Windows.

Here is the BIOSupdate manual with many ways to do it as well as outside of Windows: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/17520/eng/BIOS Update Readme.pdf

Here is the link to all of the available BIOS updates, make sure yours is an older one than the newer one: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/22637/Intel-Desktop-Board-DG965RY

Bob, you are not going to believe this.  I had a good motherboard that I laid out, connected an HD, and ROM.  Loaded the HD with W7 Pro., installed SP1 and all updates and put both in the computer and the computer is still saying "invalid system disk, replace the disk, and then press any key".  I'm serious, different motherboard, different HD, same message. 

3 hours ago, kemperhills said:

Bob, you are not going to believe this.  I had a good motherboard that I laid out, connected an HD, and ROM.  Loaded the HD with W7 Pro., installed SP1 and all updates and put both in the computer and the computer is still saying "invalid system disk, replace the disk, and then press any key".  I'm serious, different motherboard, different HD, same message. 

Pulling out hair.  Booted and not doing it any more.

13 hours ago, kemperhills said:

What do you mean ROM?   different motherboard, different HD, same message,  then you're missing something.  Something you are connecting is being read as a drive like a cd drive, usb device with onboard memory card, something some where. Did you make sure the hard drive was the first boot device in bios?

Edit:  Are you always using the same SATA cable? if so try another one.

Edited by ComputerRepairTech

10 hours ago, ComputerRepairTech said:

What do you mean ROM?   different motherboard, different HD, same message,  then you're missing something.  Something you are connecting is being read as a drive like a cd drive, usb device with onboard memory card, something some where. Did you make sure the hard drive was the first boot device in bios?

Edit:  Are you always using the same SATA cable? if so try another one.

ROM, I was speaking of a CD player to use the install disk.  Bad choice  of expression.  I have a  USB zip drive  with nothing in it.  A floppy with nothing in it.    Thanks.

6 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Any motherboard risers in an incorrect spot in the case?

Not to my knowledge, but I will pull the board and check.  Thanks.

Hi, see your problem, tough one. Sigh,

Steps might need some, if you can use Backupper Pro - pc backup tool for assist: First, you need to create a bootable USB on other computer, then use this USB to boot computer, if data are lost, then unluckily, you need to clone system drive from another computer, and use its image to restore.

Have some patience, you can walk through the problem.