kuby123

internet download speed

6 posts in this topic

Excuse me if I post this in wrong category.  I just changed from comcast (too expensive), to century-link for internet service. The century link people installed a 25 mb/ sec speed service. But when I download anything from numerous different places, the average dl speed is between 2.9- 3.3 kb/ sec. This is far below the speed they said I would have. Or, am I misinterpreting something? I am also using "internet download manager" program. Could this be my problem? I use the latest version of firefox browser and it opens very fast. I tested speed at century link and other sites and avg dl speed is 24.80 kb/sec, yet I only dl movies or youtube a 3.3 kb/s. Anybody explain this to me? thanks in advance

I would go back to your ISP and explain what is going on.  It could be something wrong with the actual connection.

On 1/21/2017 at 0:52 PM, kuby123 said:

Excuse me if I post this in wrong category.  I just changed from comcast (too expensive), to century-link for internet service. The century link people installed a 25 mb/ sec speed service. But when I download anything from numerous different places, the average dl speed is between 2.9- 3.3 kb/ sec. This is far below the speed they said I would have. Or, am I misinterpreting something? I am also using "internet download manager" program. Could this be my problem? I use the latest version of firefox browser and it opens very fast. I tested speed at century link and other sites and avg dl speed is 24.80 kb/sec, yet I only dl movies or youtube a 3.3 kb/s. Anybody explain this to me? thanks in advance

think you mean KB/s which is kilobytes but yeah something is wrong with the speed.

Edit: What does fast.com say your speed is?

Edited by ComputerRepairTech

speedtest.net is also another good site to test your speed.

Your download speed may vary, as well, depending on the sites you are downloading from.

I would also remove the download manager. In this day and age, you do not need anything like that. It may also be affecting your speeds.

fast.com says 24 mb/sec. I still don't understand why anything I download is only at most, 3.25 mb/sec when all speed tests show 23-25 mb/sec