Question

GeForce GTX 970

Driver Version 376.53

AMD FX(tm)-8320 eight-core processor

8GM RAM

Gigabyte HT3.0 DDR3 Motherboard

Watch video below if you don't want to read this and want to see instead. Anyway where do I begin. Last week I was using my normal headphones (Corsair Void RGB Wireless) I've had them for several years and they're great...but my mic broke so I was shopping for new headphones. I ended up buying the Sennheiser GSP 350s and they're great but when I plugged them and installed the software and updated their firmware and stuff I started noticing issues. Let me explain. I use Discord to chat with buddies and whenever I change to a different channel my WiFi dies. That's basically the biggest thing and that the headphones disconnect and reconnect over and over, along with the WiFi.

Anyway, I thought it was maybe the headphones being faulty so I bought a different pair (Steelseries Arctis 7s)...same thing. I plug them in, update firmware and download their software only to have the same issue. I got fed up and plugged my old headphones to see if I was having the same issue on those and to my surprise I wasn't. Everything is normal when they are plugged in. That got me thinking maybe my computer can only use Corsair headphones? So today I went out and bought Corsair Void WIRED (not wireless) and again same issue...but not the wireless. I'm just confused. The arctis 7s are also wireless and i'm having issues with those so it's not a wired/wireless issue.

I'm not super technical about computers and I wouldn't know where to start to fix this. If you have a solution tell me step by step what I need to do.

Let me first eliminate things I know not causing this. It's not my internet service provider and it's not the actual headphones, it's not the USB ports, I've tried all available ports (3.0 and regular) I've uninstalled all audio software except Corsair Utility Engine so I don't believe anything is conflicting with each other. I don't have an option to run an ethernet cable to the computer, it has to be wireless. In the video it shows a error for audio enhancements, I clicked no on it but same problems arise even if I click yes.

Here is a link to a short video showing exactly what happens 

15 answers to this question

download inssider and see what channels everything is talking on.  It may be as easy as changing the wifi channel on your router.

Can you clarify each headset and if its usb or not and if not what are you plugging it into?  

Edit: oh and take a picture of your sound playback tab area the one listing all your playback devices and what the default device is.

Edited by ComputerRepairTech

On 2/24/2017 at 6:02 AM, ComputerRepairTech said:

Can you clarify each headset and if its usb or not and if not what are you plugging it into?  

Edit: oh and take a picture of your sound playback tab area the one listing all your playback devices and what the default device is.

Sorry took me so long to get back to you, long vacation. Anyway:

The headphones in the video above are the Corsair VOID Headphones (Wired): Connected to the front of my computer via USB.

Second headphones I tried were the Sennhaiser GSP350s (Wired) Same thing happens

my OLD headphones (Where I don't have a problem) are Corsair VOID (Wireless)

What specifically did you want me to take a picture of...like what part.

Also I get that Audio Enhancements window all the time now

Sound Playback.jpg

Audio Enhancements Problem.jpg

Edited by Mou5ie
Added new screenshot

Yeah I mean everyone I talked to has never heard of this type of issue. I'm thinking to just take it to Geek Squad and have them try and figure it out. 

Gigabyte DDR3.jpg

Edited by Mou5ie

On 3/20/2017 at 5:47 AM, ComputerRepairTech said:

Also I don't see built in wifi on this motherboard so what are you using for wifi? a usb dongle? if so which?

I'm using a USB wifi Adapter (ASUS USB-AC55 USB 3.0 https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBN53/)

What do you mean by onboard sound? I'm not super techy

On 3/20/2017 at 5:15 AM, ComputerRepairTech said:

dont take it to geeksquad,  i just noticed something, where is your onboard sound? it is not in the playback devices list.

Added screenshots of "Show Disabled Devices" I don't know if this help you.

Playback Tab 2.jpg

Playback Tab 3.jpg

Sorry for the delay,  why are those disabled? did you disable them in device manager?  shouldnt be a big deal anyway i was just wondering.   Do you have a different usb wifi adapter in the home?  a different brand that is, that you can test?

I don't remember why I did but it was a very long time ago. I can re-enable them if you think it could fix it? Just tell me which I should turn back on. And no I don't have another but I could always buy a different brand?

9 hours ago, Mou5ie said:

I don't remember why I did but it was a very long time ago. I can re-enable them if you think it could fix it? Just tell me which I should turn back on. And no I don't have another but I could always buy a different brand?

You could try it but I doubt it, its not impossible though.   Tell me more about this: Let me explain. "I use Discord to chat with buddies and whenever I change to a different channel my WiFi dies. That's basically the biggest thing and that the headphones disconnect and reconnect over and over, along with the WiFi. "  the underline part is that separate from the discord issue? or does it only happen with discord? no other triggers?

You could try a pci express wifi card

Edited by ComputerRepairTech

15 hours ago, ComputerRepairTech said:

You could try it but I doubt it, its not impossible though.   Tell me more about this: Let me explain. "I use Discord to chat with buddies and whenever I change to a different channel my WiFi dies. That's basically the biggest thing and that the headphones disconnect and reconnect over and over, along with the WiFi. "  the underline part is that separate from the discord issue? or does it only happen with discord? no other triggers?

You could try a pci express wifi card

It happens with and without Discord. It doesn't matter what I use...Teamspeak or Mumble or if I'm in a game...whenever I switch to a different channel it kills my WiFi for a few seconds and then the loop starts. It disconnects then reconnects, then disconnects then reconnects over and over until I restart my computer. 

I did however find a work around for this issue..but its a temporary fix. I'll explain. When I shut down my computer I unplug my headphones from the computer everytime. When I turn the computer back on and everything loads up the first thing I do is I open the Playback Tab window, after that I connect the headphone USB to the computer. I see that the headphones connect and after that I click on the Recording Tab and tap/talk in mic to see if its connected, when I see the little green bars move up and down I know its fine. After that I leave that window open until I shutdown the computer. While this window is open, everything functions normally...I can switch channels as often as I want like normal.

But here is what I don't understand...once I close down the playback tab/recording tab window and want to switch a channel in discord or if I'm in a game of any kind and try to talk with my microphone...it kills the wifi and disconnects the headphones and the loop starts over again. So that's my current workaround. Its a temporary fix. 

As for the PCI express card I can go buy one tomorrow and see if that helps. I don't know how to update/check to see if my bios is up to date. How do I check the EXACT model of my motherboard, the reason I ask is becuase the picture I provided is very very similar but not 100% exactly it. I don't want to grab and update and find its not compatible with my current motherboard.

Thanks