Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trevorcork

Network

Question

Hi I have Two questions,

Firstly is there any Tool i can get that will allow me to check all users Browsing history from the server or if i log in on a PC, without physically going to each machine.

Secondly - any toold that allows me to check what Pc downloads the most on a Network or what uses the most Bandwith,

I would appreciate any help, thank you

2 answers to this question

Does your company have a business firewall in place?  If so Im sure it could do some sort of reporting.  Our Barracuda FW does a pretty good job of telling me whats going on.  We also use a program called MySammy and install it on every machine.  It will give you a "one stop" for everyones browsing history, usage, and bandwidth consumption.  It is a paid service.  I do not know of any free or open source that will do similar.

You sir need to install a Proxy Server.  You position the proxy server behind the firewall.  That server is a central route point of all the clients on the network.  From a proxy server you can check all the browsing history that you want.  You can configure the server to purge the history after x amount of time - otherwise you would run into serious storage problems.  You can also configure specifically what website to block communication with.  And there's probably a lot more you can do with it too.  Cost wise?  I think Dr. Bob's suggestion is much cheaper up front, but you will be paying that subscription for as long as you pay it.  With a server, you have to pay hundreds of dollars up front, but there's not subscription for it.