• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ba_50

How do I re-install or repair W98 without original software?

This computer wasn't a name brand computer. They installed W98 on top of 95 but I didn't get the software.

I think the CAB files on on the hard drive if that helps.

The computer is pretty well messed up.

Can I do anything without the software?

If not, I may have all the software from another computer in the near future. What else would I have to do? Get all the names of hardware that uses drivers before I re-install and have ready for use?

Thanks.

First your going to need a cd-key or what we now know as certificate of authenticity. This should be mounted on your system or you should have booklet with it on it. If that company gave an upgrade to 98 without this than they pirated it to you and your going to have to obtain a legal copy at this point. Remember that 98 isn't supported anymore by Microsoft, so getting a disk "new" may be tricky unless you buy from somewhere like eBay.

There is a key with this software that would come with this other computer if I buy it.

Isn't that all that all that is necessary? I'm thinking I would have to find the drivers (like modem) that run my first computer which might be difficult.

try going to a dos prompt, go to

c/windows/options/cabs

type setup

hit enter...

c/windows/options/cabs

type setup

hit enter...

I don't have it here. Should this re-install it?

oh well that is typically where all the cab files are at least from what i have seen.

all the required files are not always on the hard drive.

perhaps you could borrow a disc. or find a ISO online...

oh well that is typically where all the cab files are at least from what i have seen.

all the required files are not always on the hard drive.

perhaps you could borrow a disc. or find a ISO online...

I don't mean to confuse the issue.

I have two different computers with W98 and they both have the CAB files listed. If I do what you suggest, what will happen.

When I bought the first computer it had W95 on it and then they put W98 over it but kept the software. They put the CAB files on at that time so maybe that is how they repair a system without the software?

ok well then you will need to run the setup from dos.

see my previous instructions

ok well then you will need to run the setup from dos.

see my previous instructions

How do I get to DOS prompt? I forgot how. Hit F8 on startup?

c/windows/options/cabs

type setup

hit enter...

Ok, I'm working with my own computer now so I tried the above.

When I went restart to DOS prompt, C:\>windows came up, so I typed in /options/cabs and hit enter and got a bad command. I also used \ instead of /

I then went to c:\>/windows/options/cabs and hit enter and nothing happened. And c:\windows\options\cabs and nothing happened.

Very confusing

you have to use the command called change directory, or CD.

So you boot DOS, and you will see a pathname. That is the directory you are in in the hard drive.

I have no idea what my DOS boots up in at home. I will give an example using my work computer.

the directory that is in my console is C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Brengle . I am IN that directory as DOS is concerned. So I type DIR and this is what I get.

DIR are the directories that are present in the parent directory or C:\Documents and Settings\Jon Brengle

.GalleryRemote

Desktop

Favorites

My Documents

Start Menu

To go to the My Documents directory I can do two things.

cd "My Documents

cd c:\documents and settings\Jon Brengle\My Documents

And what is in that directory? Use the DIR command.

WOW. Too much.

You are basically doing what you do with your mouse in My computer. In my computer, you are using the mouse to explore the directories of the hard drive.

Now does everything make sense?

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• This HP Computer Repair Guide was created for those HP users out there that are either trying to recover from a system crash or are waiting for the inevitable and paralyzed with fear because they will not know what to do when it happens. You have no Windows install disk, after all. What will happen […]

Read more on our HP Computer Repair Guide Tips and Diagnostics Tutorials
      • 0 replies
    • When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies