Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tedscarter

Windows 98 corruped

After uninstalling a program I get several error messages that tell me that a necessary item is missing. I have a recovery disk for Windows 98 but nothing happens when I insert it. I would like to uninstall 98 but I don't know how. Can anyone help me.

You may need to go into the BIOS Setup (when you see the flash screen look to see if there is a key to press for entering SETUP) and set your boot priority to boot from the CD first.

When you say uninstall 98, do you mean you want to remove it from your computer for good, or you want to remove the present install to install a fresh copy of 98? If you have a recovery disk, then that should wipe out the old 98 install and install the new.

Make sure you get all the data you want to save before you do the recovery.

I just read you post on another thread look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q188213/

If you don't have that ".dll" file, you can download it here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?powrprof

Ted, please describe exactly what you want to do. Are you planning on installing a different operating system, or just reinstalling 98? If you are going to install XP, then XP will give you the option to format your hard drive in NTFS, which will reformat your hard drive and get rid of 98.

Do what Just a Nobody suggested and go into the BIOS and make sure the CD ROM is the first boot device. You typically have to hit either ESC, F1, F2, F10 or Delete to get into the BIOS setup--just start tapping them all when you first power up the computer.

Press F10 to save and exit.

Reboot with the recovery CD in the drive and it should begin the recovery.

Thank you both but it still doesn't work for me. I restart with the disk in and it shows on "my computer" on disk D but nothing happens. Ted

Did you confirm the BIOS setup? Problem is, it's booting to the hard drive before it looks at the D drive. We need it to see the D drive before it looks at the hard drive.

Ted, do you have a floppy drive on your computer? If your win98 operating system is still working, then, if I remember right, you can go into control panel/add remove programs/and at the top there should be a way to create a setup disk.

Once you have the setup disk, then bootup with the floppy disk in the computer, then at the A:/ prompt type in format C:. then let it format, put your 98 CD in the drive, and boot your computer up again, and then at the A:/prompt type setup. Make sure you select start with CD support.

You can get a win98 bootdisk at: http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Again, thank you both. My brain finally started to work and I was able to uninstall 98 using BIOS and now all my programs work and I can use my outlook mail and get on the internet. Some of the websites will not download anything. It just says done at the bottom right. I am very happy with just this for now. Ted