• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mkeyc

Data Execution Prevention - Run a DLL as an App errors

System Specs:

Dell Latitude D630 laptop with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed.

I decided to install SP3 and after the install I cannot open firefox, IE, Adobe, etc.. I cannot access the System menu in control menu to make changes to DEP. Every application I try to start I basically get DEP. I tried to restore SP2 but I get the same message 'To help protect your computer, Windows has closed the program. Run a DLL as an App.'

I cannot run HijackThis as DEP closes the application.

Any suggestions on how to revert back to SP2 or fix the errors in SP3?

Thanks in advance!

You should be able to remove SP3 thru Add/Remove Programs. From your description of things, I'd say you are probably already infected with some sort of virus or malware. Have you tried to run an antivirus scan recently? Try in Safe Mode with Networking.

DEP is designed to slow down viruses and other malware, it keeps them from writing to protected memory. If your getting DEP msgs its a good idea to check your computer for malware and viruses. Since you can't seem to run anything while DEP is turned on there are a couple of ways I know of to turn it off completely, which should give you the ability to run the programs you need to see if you've got some type of infection.

The first way is to disable it in your BIOS (but older computers/processors don't support this method so you may need to do it the second way anyhow)

In BIOS there may be an option to disable DEP or the "NoExecute (NX) Bit" if your processor has DEP support built in. If you have an Intel Processors, it also disables the Physical Address Extension support on the processor so you'd need to add the /PAE switch to boot.ini if you have more than 3.5Gb of RAM in the system that you need to address. You have Windows XP so you proably don't have more than 3.5GB of RAM.

The second way to disable is to modify the boot.ini file in the root of your c:\ drive (or which ever dirve the OS is on). The file is hidden and marked read only, so you will have to go to folder options and select show hidden files and folders, as well as uncheck the Hide protected system files box. Then you can change the read only properties by right clicking on it and selecting properties, then open in notepad.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1* )\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Change the /noexecute=optin entry to be /noexecute=alwaysoff . This will completely disable the DEP subsystem in Windows (for both processors that support DEP and processors that don't). Be careful if you screw up this file you will have to edit it from another computer to get your computer to boot again.

Reset the boot.ini to readonly and reboot. DEP should now be disabled.

Microsoft Security Essentials

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/security_essentials/default.aspx

Malwarebytes - just get the free version

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=rb_content;main

USB adapter

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020&cat=CBL

PCS, I just finished chatting with mkeyc. We determined that they will run virus scans on the hard drive through another pc.

The ini file isn't where it should have been and unhiding folders didn't seem to be working.

It's there, I forgot to tellhim to uncheck Hide protected operating system files when he selects show hidden files and folders. My fault

• Our picks

• We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies