• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bucksfanjimj

Won't recommend imgburn any longer.

As the title implies, I won't be recommending imgburn in the future. Went to download a new copy this evening and find that they are using Open Candy to offer malware like Search Conduit to their customers.

You have to be careful, there are two offers to be watching for.  Both were malware progs. According to the

imgburn's forums Open Candy rotates the offers. Hard to say what you might be getting.

After I clicked the license agreement, I get an option of Express or Custom install. Never saw that before with imgburn. Then I saw it. Express install will net you imgburn and Search Conduit. Custom lets you opt

out of it.  Then you get hit with another Express or Custom install of more malware. Caught that one too.

One of many unhappy customers -

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/22524-opencandy-protest/

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up on this. No more imgburn for me.

In case no one has run across Search Conduit yet, it's a homepage hijacker and a real pain in the arse to get

rid of. Got a machine sitting behind me that was infected with it. Believe I have it gone, but will be wiping and

reinstalling the OS tomorrow on it. Had some other malware issues as well.

I didn't know imgburm had it bundled in now too! I know that a month or two ago Aislogics had it bundled the same way. If you selected custom install you could uncheck the extra stuff. Sometimes it was conduit, sometimes ask etc etc. I also

Noticed that of you saved the installer and ran it not connected to the net it didn't install the crap ware or prompt for it. Not sure if that was an Auslogics installer or not. I think they must be getting paid to bundle this stuff. I think conduit and other junk makes money by selling browsing habits or other information they can resell to marketing companies.

PCS - I was going through imgburn's forums and it looks like it may have started back in November. There were quite a few threads about it and the posters were none too pleased. Neither am I. Whether or not imgburn has any control over the offers is not the point. The point is that this bundling company, OpenCandy, puts users in harms way by offering spyware to unknowing consumers and the imgburn people don't seem to care about it. That's is not how you do business. If the creators want to sell the program for a fee, I'd be all right with that because it works and works well. As far as opting out of it, imgburn shows as a PUP program with Malwarebytes, so even

if you do opt out like I did, you still have that to deal with. So I'm not willing to put our members at risk like that. They come here because they trust us, it only takes one bad comment /review to ruin a reputation and a lifetime

to rebuild it.

Unfortunately, bundling other progs with yours has become all too common now. Piriform (cCleaner, Speccy creators) does it as well. Usually it's either the Ask toolbar or Google Chrome that is bundled. God only knows how many others do as well now.

I know we have a thread on using imgburn and it's also included as part of a process for creating the UBCD. Do we want to edit that thread with another similar program or leave it with the caveat of the bundling? Personally I'd like to sub in another prog. Imgburn has really burned my biscuits on this.

I'm hoping Dave, Doc and some of the other regulars see this and maybe we can get their opinion as well.

JB - Burnawarefree is a good program or at least it was the last time I used it. We stuck with imgburn because

it was lightweight, easy to use and had really good tutorials for using it on their website. Thanks for   

the reminder!

Burnaware Free also is bundled. Wanted to install AVG Toolbar. Just so you know.

I still endorse Imgburn here is why, although they now bundle it with Conduit, Search Protect and PureLeads you still have the optout option (see photo below), more and more programs are starting to bundle or already have bundleware like Adobe flashplayer, CCLeaner comes to mind and I am sure you may know of others, the legitimate ones do give you the optout options so i would just suggest end users pay close attention to programs and applications they download and install, plain and simple.

Also uncheck Automatic Updates as this may install the bundleware by surprise.

imgburn_zps36fd13a2.jpg

img1_zpse4a286d0.jpg

Yes that's true. However did you see in my post that even after opting out of it, Malwarebytes shows imgburn as a PUP

program now? Yes you can tell it to ignore it, but I'm not cool with that. Not at all cool with it.

Hi Bucks,

Malwarebytes shows imgburn as a PUP program now?

That is correct, it does even after you do the optout, this is because MBAM detects the imgburn program file and flags it as a PUP, but no foul there, when you run the imgburn installer and do the optout, no files related to Candy will be installed anywhere on your computer unless you want them there, also if you do not delete the imgburn installer after install MBAM will and may flag it for removal and or quarantine because it does have the bundleware included, below is a MBAM result for imgburn when you do the optout, so still in my opinion imgburn pass's the test for now...let's see what happens down the road before expelling this one and keep it as the end user's decision, you can always roll it back to an earlier version just as well from filehippo free of PUP.

This part has been edited, I used my own MBAM log instead, one log from the imgburn installer and one from my Program Folder, and a MBAM scan pic.

This is a scan result of the installer:

pup2_zps2d9d4d0c.jpg

These are the MBAM logs.

From Programs Folder:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.03.23.08

Windows 7 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Helix :: HELIX-PC [administrator]

3/23/2014 11:10:17 AM
mbam-log-2014-03-23 (11-10-17).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 0
Time elapsed: 7 second(s) [aborted]

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

From the installer:
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2014.03.23.08

Windows 7 x86 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
xxxx :: xxxx-PC [administrator]

3/23/2014 11:13:54 AM
MBAM-log-2014-03-23 (11-15-15).txt

Scan type: Custom scan (C:UsersHelixDesktopSetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe|)
Scan options enabled: File System | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | Heuristics/Extra | P2P
Objects scanned: 1
Time elapsed: 7 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 1
C:UsersHelixDesktopSetupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe (PUP.Optional.OpenCandy) -> No action taken.

(end)

I appreciate you posting your log RR. Mine was similar to yours. However, it's the principle of the matter. OpenCandy in my opinion are scumbags. We talk about surfing safely all of the time, yet we allow people like them to continue

to do business in such an underhanded and dirty way that the net will never be safe. Yes there are others out

there that do much more heinous things on the net. We will never likely stop them all. We must draw a line somewhere don't we? Mine is drawn and I will not do business with imgburn again.

Yes, this is very unfortunate, but I'm not surprised. Conduit is a terrible thing and most people will end up with it because they won't take the time to perform the Custom install. People are accustomed to quickly clicking through all of the prompts without reading anything.

I'm fine with removing it or leaving it in the UBCD instructions. I think we need to start educating end-users about the importance of taking a moment to read what their they're installing and maybe do a guide on how to remove this "malware" from their systems.

it's the principle of the matter. OpenCandy in my opinion are scumbags.

Hey brother we are on the same page, all I am saying is lets see were this road goes, not only for imgburn but for others as well, yes and as Dave says some users just bypass and don't read the fine print  and get this scumware infesting their computer, nothing we can do about it until they come here and ask for a remedy and a fix, but for now imgburn will be in my signature as a free viable burner for iso files, I do not condon to apps with scumware and the likes but I feel this is something that is going to be the norm so lets be prepared and take it head on.

Bucks I have always trusted my opinions on programs and the likes from usage and a hands on experience on my computer before I recommend them to anyone else...if they want to use it they will, all we can do is suggest different options and then guide them through the process and avoid the hassles of this crap, yeah where do we draw the line of what is good and what is bad, you say this I say that, we can agree to disagree from our own trials, but what the hell anyway thanks for keeping us on our toes for this one, I guess I will log onto imgburn and give them my wth! as well.

It really is all about educating the end user. Just in the last year or two roughly of say where 2-10 would have conduit, open candy etc etc today it's an easy 8-10 that have it. The stuff is just bundled everywhere. Just like the authors sites used to have the clean installers and places like cnet or other third party download sites would have the dirty bundled ones. Now they all have the bundles or most anyhow.

Things like this make me sad, but you do have to realize that they saw an opportunity to increase revenue although at the hands of their users.  Greed is a powerful thing and when you are offering a free service,   I'm all for finding another lightweight, easy to install burner and dumping it in the UBCD thread.  I would definitely say for now we add the "watch out if you are installing imgburn" wordage in the Tutorial.  Trying out InfraRecorder which is open source and not packaged with anything.  Ill post more after playing with it.

I know we have a thread on using imgburn and it's also included as part of a process for creating the UBCD. Do we want to edit that thread with another similar program or leave it with the caveat of the bundling? Personally I'd like to sub in another prog. Imgburn has really burned my biscuits on this.

The post you are talking about should be left intact but users should know about the Open Candy, I put a special note in my Sig about Imgburn maybe copy and paste it to that post or pin it.

Yeah lets get more burner options here, there are a couple I am going to try later today to see what they have as far as free, anyone heard of CDBurnerXP ? never mind it has Open Candy but there is a non Candy version.

Dr Bob suggest InfraRecorder, lets keep them coming.

I have used this for movies but it too can make an ISO any thought on this one ?

http://www.pctechbytes.com/forums/index.php/topic/44278-iso-burning-program-dvd-flick/

Magical Jellybean Keyfinder is now also using an installer that loads OpenCandy. Awesome, just awesome.

Beginning to miss the installers that just wanted to install the AVG/Yahoo toolbar.........

Are you kidding Dave ! now jellybean is including it to !? :huh: what a cruel cruel world we live in :cool:

well one good thing I have an older version of jellybean but come to think of it that one may have had an earlier opt out or ask toolbar or something bundled with it, but now open candy how ballzee of them.

I think someone mentioned this in this thread already but if you have a customer email list or just some friends and family whom are going to have you running ADWCleaner, MBAM, CCleaner, etc every 6 months it's email time.

Dear xxxxxxxx

"Whatever your going to say"

Visit http://unchecky.com and clock the download button when prompted click run. At any subsequent prompts click next/yes/finish.

Have a nice day!

In regards to Jelly, if you don't agree to the terms (which included the Conduit payload) then you can't continue. At least ImgBurn allowed you to uncheck it.

In regards to Jelly, if you don't agree to the terms (which included the Conduit payload) then you can't continue.

I tried and verified, the scoundrels, and you know I tried to scan a results log with MBAM for jelly (.exe file) , it did not find the open candy like it did with imgburn, they are getting real sneaky now.

Free is dead. That's fine. I don't mind buying software for myself, I just have to be careful going forward what I recommend. I'd hate to be the one responsible for someone's machine getting "infected."

Yea, it's all about money these days, and the way these companies seem to want to make it is by tracking your browsing and searching habits.  A function of most of the junk that installs with legit software.  I did some research on some of the software like Conduit ( just an example ), etc, and I was extremely surprised.  The some of the parent companies of the "junkware", "spyware", or "trackware" ( the developers or distributors of said software ) are multi million dollar companies, in good standing.  What they are actually doing is legal ( I didn't say I agreed with it or it was ethical ), and this has become big big business.  Another example would be Ask.com, or search engine pages that look similar to google but have another name/url.  It's quite despicable what the software does and unethical the way it installs.

As this type of software has become more prevalent, I have noticed a down tick in Virus'/Malware.  I can't help but wonder if this is where "some" of the virus'/malware is going, into a legal money making route.

I didn't discover Unchecky but I have been installing it on customers machines, and it significantly cuts down on the junkware/other ware that is present on the machine the next time I see it.  For those frequent flyers that are always installing everything free, the frequency that the machines come in for cleanups is reduced.  They still get the ones that install via an advanced button, or launch another installer during or after the primary one, but Unchecky certainly helps.  http://unchecky.com/

• Our picks

• We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies