Sign in to follow this  
kemperhills

Confused?????

I hope some of you guys will help me understand.

A while back one of the geeks on the forum, who has a repair business, said he didn't see much viruses anymore as people were now writing adware as there was more money in it.

But a couple of days ago I installed XP HP and didn't install an AV for several days because Microsoft no longer supplies MSE for XP when I installed Hitman and scanned the scanner turned red and Trogans, riskware and others were found.  I thought Trogans were viruses.  So what is the difference.  Thanks. 

Yes, Trojans are viruses. But think of them as a virus that sits quietly in the background, either acting as a doorway for other viruses to infect your PC, or waiting patiently to perform a hacker's bidding, such as DDoS attack on a major corporation. While it may be harder to infect newer computers, XP is an easy target for hackers, as it is really no longer supported by anyone. If you have to run XP for compatibility reasons, it's best to keep it off of the Internet.

Avast still supports XP, I would at least put that on there for some help.

On 12/27/2016 at 7:56 AM, kemperhills said:

A while back one of the geeks on the forum, who has a repair business, said he didn't see much viruses anymore as people were now writing adware as there was more money in it.

This is not true. You will find many issues in PC related forums which are acused of viruse infection. This implies that virus issues haven't decreased.

Ok, thanks for the replies. 

On 12/27/2016 at 5:51 AM, Dave@Bytes said:

Yes, Trojans are viruses. But think of them as a virus that sits quietly in the background, either acting as a doorway for other viruses to infect your PC, or waiting patiently to perform a hacker's bidding, such as DDoS attack on a major corporation. While it may be harder to infect newer computers, XP is an easy target for hackers, as it is really no longer supported by anyone. If you have to run XP for compatibility reasons, it's best to keep it off of the Internet.

Thanks Dave, I understand the problem with using XP, but I installed it on an old computer I had that won't run anything newer.  I am going to use it in my shop as it is a very dirty environment and decided I didn't want my newer computers there.  I will be running Hitman Pro, Malwale bytes, and on Bob's suggestion, Avast.  Thanks again.

Posted (edited)

Thanks

Edited by Dr_Bob