Sign in to follow this  
ghjkl67

USB Device Not Recognized

Question

This is an issue that just started happening out of nowhere. All USB ports have power, but are functionally dead. I tried reinstalling the drivers and a system cleanup. After the system cleanup, my hard drive wouldn't boot. So, I plugged in my spare that I am using now. Still no USB ports! There are 2 in the motherboard and 2 external. I tried disconnecting the external ones, but that didn't work either. I tried reinstalling the drivers several times with no success. They did start briefly working the other day on the spare hard drive after ejecting the CD-ROM, but it didn't work for long. My keyboard and mouse are not on USB's which explains why the PC is still functional. Any ideas?

Edited by ghjkl67

14 answers to this question

No errors in the Device Manager? I suspect because it's doing it from two different hard drives that it's a hardware issue and not a driver or software issue. We always have people try booting to a Linux Boot disk, such as Ubuntu to rule out Operating System problems. If you are able to create a Linux Boot disk, try that and see if the problem persists.

I'll try making the boot disk, but it may be beyond my capabilities. For now, let's assume a hardware issue. There are no errors in device manager. Remember that the USB worked for a little while after simply ejecting the CD-ROM. That sounds like a hardware issue to me.

Yeah it does sound like a hardware issue--especially since the second hard drive has the same problem. If you can confirm with the Linux disk, your only option may be to purchase a USB PCI expansion card--maybe something similar to this http://amzn.to/2iznZXs

The PC already has something similar to an USB expansion card on the front, only it plugs in to a pin style connector on the motherboard, not a PCI slot. They are behaving exactly the same way as the motherboard USB ports. Do you think using a PCI expansion card would work any differently?

Those front facing USB ports run on the same USB chipset so they should work the same way as the on-board ones.  A PCI card will run independently of that so it should work fine, assuming the issue doesn't lie somewhere else.  I am leaning towards a failing PSU that isn't pushing out enough wattage to cover everything vital and the USB as well.

That's good to know. I have a spare PSU. Maybe I could give that a try. If it still doesn't work, I'll try a USB card. Thanks.

Well, I tried the spare power supply. No change in USB status. Looks like I'll be trying a new USB card tomorrow.

I hung this project up for a few weeks, but I'd like to start up again. A while back, I bought a USB expansion card, but it would not fit in my motherboard because it required an express PCI slot. I don't suppose something like this would work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Port-High-Speed-USB-2-0-PCI-Controller-Card-w-NEC-Chip-4-1-/131931957505?hash=item1eb7c1e901:g:JTkAAOSwtfhYojsd

If you could either tell me the make and model of your computer or your motherboard I can tell you 100% what will work.

Motherboard is a SOYO K7V Dragon Plus. No computer brand name. It was custom built.

That one looks like it will fit. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Got the USB card and it works excellent. Thanks again.