• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whirlwind123

Asus X401u wont power up

Question

Hi there.I am new here.

This model notebook wont power up

Have unmount all i can and pushed the power button for 30 secs/1 minutes

Have measured the CMOS battery voltage and it`s good

The Cooler is installed/plugged/

There was problem with board with DC Jack. I have replaced it.

I try to power the notebook with my Notebook Charger(i have asus too - 19v/65w)

Something concrete to check?

The bios chip is 25q328vsig. Can i reset it by some short curcuit?

thanks ;

9 answers to this question

Do you get power through the DC jack now?  Do you get an charging LEDs?  If not, can you test it with a multimeter?

Do you get power through the DC jack now?

Yes. Black to Red, Red and Black 2 to Red, Red. 19, 20 V.

Do you get an charging LEDs?

No one LED does light

If not, can you test it with a multimeter?

Test which?

With the battery plugged in and the AC adapter plugged in, do you get any charging LEDs is what I meant.

If you remove the battery and just have the AC adapter plugged in, do you get any voltage to the battery terminals?  Just curious.

It is looking like you will be replacing the motherboard to make this functional again.  These are relatively cheap: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Asus+X401u&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XAsus+X401u+motherboard.TRS1&_nkw=Asus+X401u+motherboard&_sacat=0

With the battery plugged in and the AC adapter plugged in, do you get any charging LEDs is what I meant.

>>

nope

about battery terminal i`ll check and write.

Do you think that the motherboard will be just reheated and will goes off after 1 week usage?

I work in service and if i pay 52$ and packages comes to bulgarian customs i have to pay VAT.

If the motherboard is about 125BGN and if tell 30BGN(about 15-16$ for work) there are 155.

@

Dr_Bob

There is really a voltage on the Battery First and Last Pin Plug.

I measure -1.041 but make it just quick. Maybe is with wrong probe position.

Now ? :)

If you received a negative voltage, I believe you had the probes backwards.

You can try reballing the motherboard and it may fix it for the short term.  Ive never seen a reballing last for a super long time even if it fixes it but it is worth a shot.

Why you go to Reball from this lasting voltage on the motherboard battery pins?

On 3/21/2017 at 9:51 AM, whirlwind123 said:

Do you think that the motherboard will be just reheated and will goes off after 1 week usage?

You said the above, and I thought you were referring to a reball.  Thought reheat = reball.

My thought is that blind buy of motherboard from trade site will be bad buy. And the motherboard will be just reheated with heat gun and post for sell. I hope you understand me; If it`s reballed it will be better maybe.

Maybe the more important - if i supply the motherboard with adapter(without CMOS battery and battery) and unplug the charger on battery terminals there are about 1 V.

I make short with big Resistance and hope all DC is gone BUT

with only charger

with charger and battery

with charger battery and CMOS

It wont power - no Fan working no LED

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies
    •  

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is out, but if you are not in the initial wave of the roll-out, it may be some time before you get the update. Fortunately, you can manually download and install it. The Windows 10 Fall Creators update tweaks and streamlines existing features, as well as adding cool new ones.

Get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update may already be pending for your system. To check, type in Windows Update into your search box, check for updates, and see if there is one waiting to install. If it says you are currently up to date, you can manually force the Windows 10 Fall Creators update by downloading it here: Windows 10 Fall Creators Download. The download tool checks your system for compatibility, and once it is determined your system specs can run it, the download can begin. A reboot is required to install the Windows Update. You can read our full article on this here: https://www.pctechbytes.com/windows-10/download-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
      • 0 replies