• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lastxresort

My PC keeps crashing with different error codes Win7

Question

So i figure this must be a hardware problem but i do not know where the issue is. I didn't install any new hardware or updates and it has been working fine now for months with these drivers. The pc is really old so i am not surprised something failed though.

The pc keeps restarting today and i get Bccodes like B3, D1,F3 and twice now on the BSOD the dumping to physical memory % froze up. Also twice the pc just froze and there was a whirring sound through the speakers w.o it restarting.

Any idea how i can figure out where the problem lies and just replace one part instead of getting a  new computer? 

i7 with a gtx 275 with 6gb of ddr3 ram. 

I did run win7's short mem test and it didn't find any problems, but the bsod occurs within a min or 2 of start up so i am inclined to believe memory isnt a problem or it would have shown up on the test. When i booted into safe mode before it didn't crash (though i didn't leave it running for more than 5-10mins nor did i put it under any load).. And safe mode uses mother board gfx card right? So maybe its a gfx problem?

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

What HDD does your PC have installed?  If HDD run the test mentioned below, if SSD you will have to go to the manufacturer's website and use their tool.  I wouldn't trust the Windows Memory Diagnostic.

The two things I would test - RAM and HDD.  Download the Ultimate Boot CD and use Vivard and Memtest to do the testing.  Let Memtest run overnight if possible.  Do the remap test with Vivard.

Thanks for the response. I cleaned the dust out with compressed air and noticed that the video card seemed a little off so i reset it and switched the ram to an old 6gb that i got from my brother and it is working fine. Just going to reinstall windows and later on test the old ram one at a time to see if that was the issue.

Thanks 

I dont think it is the ram but the actual ram socket on the motherboard. Anything i can do about that or just not use that socket? 

Thanks

How did you come to that conclusion?  If you have a bad RAM slot, there isnt anything you can do outside of replacing the motherboard.

Regardless of which ram i put into that slot the pc doesn't start and there is an error code on the mother board led display (though the code isnt listed in motherboard manual). Working ram in other slots doesn't work in the broken slot.

Thanks and ya i figured. I will just leave it alone i guess.

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies
    •  

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is out, but if you are not in the initial wave of the roll-out, it may be some time before you get the update. Fortunately, you can manually download and install it. The Windows 10 Fall Creators update tweaks and streamlines existing features, as well as adding cool new ones.

Get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update may already be pending for your system. To check, type in Windows Update into your search box, check for updates, and see if there is one waiting to install. If it says you are currently up to date, you can manually force the Windows 10 Fall Creators update by downloading it here: Windows 10 Fall Creators Download. The download tool checks your system for compatibility, and once it is determined your system specs can run it, the download can begin. A reboot is required to install the Windows Update. You can read our full article on this here: https://www.pctechbytes.com/windows-10/download-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
      • 0 replies