Dr_Bob

Windows 10 computer seems to kep refreshing

Question

Hello all,

I have one that is being a pain in the hind quarters.  This particular users is using a Dell Optiplex 980, W10 64 Bit, with an i7 and 8GB of RAM.  She has just a normal single colored (black) background picture but it will seem to refresh every 10 seconds.  Meaning, if you are looking at the Desktop or the task bar it will flash like you did a right click and refresh on the Desktop.  She had some crappy video card that wasn't even rated for W10 and didn't have any updated drivers, other than the one Windows assigned it, on the company website (AMD or Dell).  Assuming it was tied to the outdated card and its drivers, I installed a newer Nvidia card with the latest drivers and it still does it, but slightly less often.  I think I tried this but it didn't help: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-flashing-taskbar-buttons-windows

Any ideas as to what could be causing it?  I think it started happening after a Windows Update but the user cannot tell me about when it started happening or when she started noticing it.  I really don't want to spend too much time trying to troubleshoot this since it isn't really a hindrance other than looking kinda weird so I bring it to your talented minds to see what you come up with.

9 answers to this question

Wonder if a background process/underlying program is doing it.  I would do anti-virus and anti-malware scans with up to date definitions.

Swap out the monitor? Monitor cable?

Scans occur every morning at 2am on that machine and nothing has been found.  It is also behind a corporate firewall which has most everything blocked out for that user group so not a whole lot of bad places for them to go and contract anything.  Will look at the Task Manager and see if I can see anything pop up during that refresh time. 

She is rocking dual monitors so at lunch I may see if the right-most monitor is doing it as well since all her desktop icons are on the left-most monitor.

Check if you have IDT Audio drivers on your machine . Seems to be a problem with systems that were upgraded to win 10

I will check that out later this week.  I have late Thursday and all day Friday to look at this machine.

So update, both monitors do it at the same time, seems to not point at one monitor or a cable doing it.

Dont see anything in Task Manager that is any different than I would expect.  Will run Autoruns and Process Monitor to see what is all going on.  Will make sure all updates are up and drivers are all updated outside of the GPU which I know is.

We have our users desktop and documents tied to a server.  Not sure if there isnt an issue trying to access those files or it refreshing every so often and her noticing it....

Ping times to our data server remain relatively constant even when the refresh takes place so I dont think it is a connectivity issue.

No IDT drivers for audio.

Well aside from jumping right into process monitor I suppose I would try to create a new user and see if the issue also impacts the new user.

Posted (edited)

Not to lump these two together but word around the office is another user is having the same issue on a different machine.  Both Dell but different model numbers but both were formerly W7 upgraded to W10.

@CRT - I will give it a shot if the issue comes back but I think I may have fixed it....  see below.

So in my first posting I said I did something with a reg tweak that didn't work.....  As it turns out, either it reverted back to the default settings or I meant to do it and never got around to it because after that reg tweak it seems to have stopped refreshing.  I will keep you guys posted and if it comes back I will try the other options mentioned above.

Edited by Dr_Bob