Sign in to follow this  
kemperhills

PCI IDE card

Question

Posted (edited)

I have a computer that has four SATA, but only one IDE, connector.  The IDE connector is taken up by the HD until I can get me a SATA drive.

The problem is that I have two optical drives that are IDE and didn't want to change them to SATA.  I have a PCI IDE card that I took out of a junk computer and tried to use it to connect the optical's.  The problem is that the card will recognize the HD but won't recognize the optical's.  I had another IDE HD lying around and I set one as master and one as slave and the card recognized both and was able to set the card up so both HD"s worked as master and slave.  

So why won't the card recognize the optical's.  As the optical drives work good I don't won't to spend the money to buy new ones.  Can anyone tell me how to get the card to recognize the optical drives.  That card is a FastTraK TX2000 made by Promise Technologies.  I know it's probably an older card but if I could get it to work with the optical drives it would save me some money.  The card has two IDE connectors labeled IDE 1 and IDE2.  Thanks.  

Someone might say, run the HD's of the card and plug the opticals into the board.  Well I could do that but am just curious about why the card won't recognize the optical drives.  Don't know why the strike through happened. 

Edited by kemperhills

6 answers to this question

Any driver updates for the card?

The optical drives usually have jumpers too just like HDDs.  Did you set them to Cable Select or Master/Slave correctly?

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, so0ky said:

Any driver updates for the card?

Not that I can find.  Went to the website but was a bit confused with what was there.  Still learning some of this stuff.  Thanks.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:14 AM, Dr_Bob said:

The optical drives usually have jumpers too just like HDDs.  Did you set them to Cable Select or Master/Slave correctly?

Yes, Bob, set to master and slave. The original board was a Dell that would run Windows 7 but was slow.  I put this board  in, but it has only one IDE connector where the old board had two IDE connectors, one floppy, and one SATA.  In the old board they worked fine.

Just in case you were trying to get the drivers from anywhere else, here is the parent site: https://promise.com/us/Support/downloadcenter

It looks like this card only has support for up to Windows XP and Server 03.  This card may not work well on W7.  Did you let Windows install the driver or did you get the XP one from this site to try?  I would download and try the 7th one down on the list if you haven't already.

Posted (edited)
On 4/20/2017 at 8:54 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Just in case you were trying to get the drivers from anywhere else, here is the parent site: https://promise.com/us/Support/downloadcenter

It looks like this card only has support for up to Windows XP and Server 03.  This card may not work well on W7.  Did you let Windows install the driver or did you get the XP one from this site to try?  I would download and try the 7th one down on the list if you haven't already.

Thanks Bob, and yes I allowed Windows to install the drivers.  Will try what you suggest.

PS: Went to the site and downloaded what you suggested, unzipped the file,  but can find no way to install.  No install exe.  Right clicking the file does nothing..  

Edited by kemperhills

Ok, guys, I found a users manual for the card and after reading through the manual it seems that the card is an HDD Raid card only.  

Oh, well, will have to wait until I can buy some SATA optical drives for the computer.  Thanks.