Dreadknot101

Mystery mircro stutter on all browsers, videos and games

Question

I've been searching and searching for a fix for this, cant find the solution, hopefully someone here can help

Here is what is happening ~ While on any browser there is mini stutter, watching any video playback caused mini stutter. After a while, randomly, my entire system will get laggy until I minimize the browser to the desktop or open up task manager etc.

The other thing that is happening, which I think must be related to the above mentioned ~ When playing any PC game there is micro stutter, no lag like when using browsers/videos, just micro stutter

Some things I have tried

Disabled GPU
Updated everything
Clean install
Mem tests etc
HDD/SSD tests
Cores unparked
All power saving BIOS options turned off
Default BIOS options/No OC
Installed Linux mint cinnamon
... and many, many other things with no result whatsoever

This leads me to think its a CPU problem? I have a good AIO cooling system, all temps are fine, nothing in event viewer leading to any hints as far as I can tell

So what is doing on here? I've been searching for a fix for nearly a year now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

AMD 8320e 4.0Ghz OC (AIO Water cooling)
GTX MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB OC
HyperX 1866Mhz (2x4GB)
EVGA Supernova 750 W B2 Bronze
535 INTEL Solid State Drive 240 GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

11 answers to this question

Please list your temps.  You are saying this issue followed you to Linux?  The exact same issue?

If so then it has to be a hardware issue.

11 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

Please list your temps.  You are saying this issue followed you to Linux?  The exact same issue?

If so then it has to be a hardware issue.

Hi Bob, thanks for the reply

Getting two different readings of the CPU

CPU Afterburner ~ 32 C

CPU ASUS AI suit II ~ 45 C

GPU Afterburner ~ 35 C

Yes, the microstutter followed me to Linux. As for the system slowing down/lagging after a while, I am not sure... I havent used Linux long enough for it to happen randomly. But I am 95% sure these two problems are related, the microstutters seems to cause a build up of something somewhere and it bogs down the browser until its minimized, then its find until it happens again

Also, this microstutter is happening with windows media player, I read somewhere this means its a CPU problem of some sort

So if this is a hardware issue, how can I further pin point or diagnose what is happening? So far most of the softwares I've tried for fault testing etc hasnt pointed out anything that I am aware of

temps1.png

temps2.png

Can you download and run Memtest overnight?  Im curious if you dont have a semi-bad RAM stick that is causing all of these issues.  Since you have 8GB of RAM, the longer you can let it run, the better testing can be completed.  Let it run for at least 8 passes.  I have seen really stubborn RAM pass over 40 passes to fail one time on pass 41 which helped me find a really annoying issue.  If it passes all tests, we can move onto the next course of action which would be stress testing the hardware with some benchmarking software and see when/how it reacts.

On 4/18/2017 at 4:43 PM, Dreadknot101 said:

I've been searching and searching for a fix for this, cant find the solution, hopefully someone here can help

Here is what is happening ~ While on any browser there is mini stutter, watching any video playback caused mini stutter. After a while, randomly, my entire system will get laggy until I minimize the browser to the desktop or open up task manager etc.

The other thing that is happening, which I think must be related to the above mentioned ~ When playing any PC game there is micro stutter, no lag like when using browsers/videos, just micro stutter

Some things I have tried

Disabled GPU
Updated everything
Clean install
Mem tests etc
HDD/SSD tests
Cores unparked
All power saving BIOS options turned off
Default BIOS options/No OC
Installed Linux mint cinnamon
... and many, many other things with no result whatsoever

This leads me to think its a CPU problem? I have a good AIO cooling system, all temps are fine, nothing in event viewer leading to any hints as far as I can tell

So what is doing on here? I've been searching for a fix for nearly a year now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

AMD 8320e 4.0Ghz OC (AIO Water cooling)
GTX MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB OC
HyperX 1866Mhz (2x4GB)
EVGA Supernova 750 W B2 Bronze
535 INTEL Solid State Drive 240 GB
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

I don't know but lets narrow it down:

What do you mean disabled GPU, go into specifics.

You installed Linux Mint and from the get go you had the same issues without installing any additional software?

What model monitor do you have or monitors if you are running dual monitors?  Whats the refresh rate set to.  

In windows hold down the windows key and push pause then click advanced system settings, advanced tab,  in performance section click settings,  uncheck enable desktop composition and hit ok.   any change?

Does the audio stutter at all or just the video?

If its just the video i'd like to have you try something,  download vlc http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html and watch a video, does it stutter or not?  now find the setting for overlay video output i'm not at home so i'm not sure where the setting is nor do I know if its on by default or off by default but let me know what its on or off and then toggle the setting and try it again and let me know if it still stutters or not.   

Posted (edited)

Hi, I found the solution. Thanks for your time anyway! :)

The problem was, DRAM frequency was not showing correct MHz no matter what timings it was set to in BIOS, which means the RAM was not fully compatible with the motherboard. Swapped out the two RAM cards for an old 2GB card to test, computer now smooth and no microstutters. So, looks like I need new RAM  :)

Cheers! :)

Edited by Dreadknot101

51 minutes ago, Dreadknot101 said:

Hi, I found the solution. Thanks for your time anyway! :)

The problem was, DRAM frequency was not showing correct MHz no matter what timings it was set to in BIOS, which means the RAM was not fully compatible with the motherboard. Swapped out the two RAM cards for an old 2GB card to test, computer now smooth and no microstutters. So, looks like I need new RAM  :)

Cheers! :)

Wait what?  Is that even a thing?  im not sure i've ever seen ram not being compatible with a motherboard impact the actual frequency.  

Posted (edited)

Yeah, thats the conclusion we came to, went through loads of steps to narrow it down and apparently its the ram causing issues.

The motherboard is Asus M5A97 PLUS

Heres the thread, let me know what you think ~ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004771/pc-components/mystery-mircro-stutter-on-all-browsers-videos-and-games/

If you want to give it a go and see if you come up with same conclusion or different, I dont mind, go right ahead, that would be appreciated :)

Edited by Dreadknot101

6 hours ago, Dreadknot101 said:

Yeah, thats the conclusion we came to, went through loads of steps to narrow it down and apparently its the ram causing issues.

The motherboard is Asus M5A97 PLUS

Heres the thread, let me know what you think ~ https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004771/pc-components/mystery-mircro-stutter-on-all-browsers-videos-and-games/

If you want to give it a go and see if you come up with same conclusion or different, I dont mind, go right ahead, that would be appreciated :)

Try this

Put only the hyper x ram in the computer in A2 and B2 (pretty sure A1 and B1 is fine these days) reset bios to defaults, reboot then take a picture of the AI tweaker main page for me the one that starts with current cpu speed in yellow and scroll down taking pictures for me.  Set memory frequency to [DDR3-1600MHz],set DRAM voltage to 1.5v, set PCIE Frequency to 100Mhz, then reboot and go back into bios take another picture of the top area of the AI tweaker main page showing current cpu speed etc.  restart again and see if you are still getting the stutters.

15 hours ago, ComputerRepairTech said:

Try this

Put only the hyper x ram in the computer in A2 and B2 (pretty sure A1 and B1 is fine these days) reset bios to defaults, reboot then take a picture of the AI tweaker main page for me the one that starts with current cpu speed in yellow and scroll down taking pictures for me.  Set memory frequency to [DDR3-1600MHz],set DRAM voltage to 1.5v, set PCIE Frequency to 100Mhz, then reboot and go back into bios take another picture of the top area of the AI tweaker main page showing current cpu speed etc.  restart again and see if you are still getting the stutters.

BIOS reset 1 ~ http://prntscr.com/ezfhjx

BIOS 2 ~ http://prntscr.com/ezfio0

Result ~ http://prntscr.com/ezfjp8

After resetting the bios by removing the CMOS battery the microstuttering is gone, BUT, this happened when I tried only the 2GB stick and after a good while it started to stutter again... So I will have to wait a while and see if this 2x4GB starts to stutter... for now, its smooth and no stutter, but this could change after a few hours like it did with the 2GB

The DRAM Frequency is roughly showing the correct frequency in CPU-Z also, it wasnt when it was set to 1866Mhz ~ http://prntscr.com/ezfk90

Other thing I noticed was, the heatsink for the AMD 970 chipset was quite warm, I dont know if that might be relevant

On a side note, I am having troubles signing into this website. I have to reset password every time to sign in, just thought you should know

15 hours ago, ComputerRepairTech said:

Try this

Spoke to early, stutter literally came back after replying to you lol

Did it always have the stutter issue since you've built the computer? When did the problem initially begin? how long have you been using that computer? 

Yes, the stutter has been happening since the computer was built, its always been there. It was built sometime in September last year