• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xDutch_Hunterx

Computer won't Reboot

Question

Hello everyone,

About 10 days ago I decided to buy 1TB of memory because I kept uninstalling my games in order to download others and I had enough. I went online and bought the memory I already owned, but the 1TB version. I opened my computer and put it in, connecting all the cables like the other memory was connected. However, when I put my computer back together and plugged everything in, it wouldn't boot (up). I had done this a couple weeks before, but when I plugged in another cable from the power supply to the wall, it was fixed, so I presumed it was solved, well apparently not. After it didn't boot up I looked over the possible solutions and I have tried it all (I think)

I have tried the following:

- Plugged in into another outlet, to see if that would fix it

- Plugged in different cables (of the same type) from the power supply to the outlet

- Purchased and placed  new power supply into the computer

- Used a screwdriver to boot the pc without the start button

- checked for loose wires which should be plugged in

Nothing so far has worked and I don't know what might be the problem. If anyone knows the solution/has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them.

Kind regards,

xDutch_Hunterx

4 answers to this question

So you replaced the HDD in the computer?  Was there more than 1 HDD in there?  If not, the reason it will not boot is because Windows was installed on it and there isnt any Windows install on the new HDD you installed.

20 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

So you replaced the HDD in the computer?  Was there more than 1 HDD in there?  If not, the reason it will not boot is because Windows was installed on it and there isnt any Windows install on the new HDD you installed.

I use SSD, but my power supply and case can hold up to 3, I just connected the new one to the ones the old one was also connected. I haven't installed windows on the new one (if i have to do that) since it hasn't booted up for me to install it.

So you have an SSD that has Windows installed on it and another 1TB drive, which you just installed as a data drive, and it will not boot into Windows correct?

If so, jump into the BIOS and make sure that your SSD is the first boot device.

Whenever someone has troubles with their PC I always recommend to try Impedio Security. It protects you from any malicious software. My PC kept crashing and I didn't know what's wrong because I cleaned it regularly. It came to that I had to delete my games and programs, cause I thought that was the problem. And then I got Impedio Security and it turned out that my computer was attacted by some virus. But I managed to restore my documents, photos and everything. I'm glad they came up with something so smart as Impedio Security :)

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• This HP Computer Repair Guide was created for those HP users out there that are either trying to recover from a system crash or are waiting for the inevitable and paralyzed with fear because they will not know what to do when it happens. You have no Windows install disk, after all. What will happen […]

Read more on our HP Computer Repair Guide Tips and Diagnostics Tutorials
      • 0 replies
    • When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By e^ipi=-1
      When I turned it back on, Aptio Setup Utility appeared and I have no idea on to how to fix and reboot my laptop to the conditions before the automatic shutdown.
    • By StarLord087
      I have windows 10 and ubuntu installed onto my computer side by side and although ubuntu functions perfectly fine, when i use Windows 10 the display screen will randomly turn off and not come back on unless I restart my computer. How do i fix this?
    • By JustRelaxASC
      So in past couple of weeks my PC started randomly restarting by itself while gaming, with no BSOD, screen just goes crazy for a second, I hear a loud noise from speakers and it restarts by itself with no BSOD dump, in Event Viewer it shows Kernel-Power 41, 63 error which basically means nothing to me, I searched on thousands of forums and applied all possible advices and "fixes", sadly with no success. 
      I've read that kernel 41 error can mean faulty PSU or overheating issue, as I have a relatively new 600W PSU I suspected on overheating
      I then took a look at my temperatures and noticed 2 things (Click here to see the image):
      1. The GPU temperature reaches over 70°C while under load (gaming)
      2. The GPU fans is set to auto in crimson AMD driver software and it doesn't go above ~20% even though GPU is running hot in my opinion, so I tried turning the fans manually to a higher speeds and GPU started coolling down to ~59 meaning that fans can cool it but they don't do that automatically and I don't want to go to crimson every time I start and finish gaming to turn up and down fan speeds as I don't want them to run at 100% while idling.
      I also dusted my PC so it's pretty clean and dust is not causing the overheating
      Also my GPU never ran above ~50°C while gaming when I bought it.
      I'm using MSI Gaming 270X 2GB OC Edition
      The Random reboots may not have to do anything with overheating that is just what I suspect as I see no other possible cause at the moment
      Any ideas on how to fix the GPU overheating issue?
      All help would be much apprechiated
    • By Noel4You
      Hey everyone. As the topic suggests I have have this issue with my five year old computer.

Last friday while playing X-com on Steam, my pc totally froze and I could do nothing but make a manual reboot (reset button). After that Windows stalls at the splash screen every time I try rebooting. Even when it goes to recovering mode it halts at the splash screen.
      Now before you go telling me to make a reinstall here's what I did. I tried another HD with my old Win 7 Premium (known to work on this pc) but it stalls on the black screen with only the cursor blinking. After that I tried a clean HD (also known to work just perfect) and tried reinstalling Win XP SP3 from a genuine Microsoft Installation CD. The hardware boots like usual and the installation begins from the CD. After the first sequence of loading system files the black screen comes on with a blinking cursor. That's supposed to happen, only it stays that way - nothing more.

For the last month or so leading up to the mishap my cpu tended to heat up, especially when using 3D games and virtual chatrooms like IMVU. About three months ago I reinstalled the hardware into a smaller ATX tower. There were no issues with my old Maxi tower. However installing a 2nd chassis fan blowing directly onto the cpu heatsink/fan hasn't helped either. Taking off the ATX casing cover didn't help either.

I have reasons to believe that my cpu over heated when playing X-com on Steam. However that never was an issue before, regardless the Windows version used.

Lastly I tried booting from my Partition Wizard 7.7 CD Linux (also known to work) but still no result. It halts at after setting up Kernel saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: IO-APIS + timer doesn't work! ..........Any Linux guys know what that means? (Screenshot attached)

Could there be any other reason for the pc not being able to boot my software then a faulty of the cpu itself?

I hope someone can help me out here 
      Attached Thumbnails

• By ImZakP
      Could consistent freezes and reboots along with random BSOD ranging from Bad_pool_header, Memory_management to Security_kernel_check be because of faulty ram? I don't have the ability to run any diagnostics software because of the freezes.