• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Sign in to follow this  
kemperhills

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon slows down.

Question

I have an older computer that I replaced the motherboard with an Asus F2A55-M LK board and it runs Windows fine.  And when I first loaded Linux it worked fine.

When I loaded Linux at some point in the installation, or the first update, I was given the choice of "Do Not Break My Computer" which I checked.  I was given this advise from another forum when I was having the same problem with Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon.  I downloaded a bunch of updates and the computer was working fine. 

Recently I had several updates and when I tried to install them a couple of the updates popped a message that the update would change some things on the computer.  Now Linux sometimes works fine, sometimes slows down badly when trying to open a site, change pages[it does this on this site which I have rarely had happen in Windows], when I try to go back to a previous page.  Sometimes it is so low that I have to stop the process and restart it.

My question.  Could the updates that said they would change some things on the computer have caused this.  If so, since I don't know which updates it was, is there a way to reverse this.

Also, if anyone has any idea how to fix the problem I would appreciate the help.  

In windows I would go to programs and see if there was a lot of "junk" ware loaded. Check for adware, etc.  But in Linux I have not idea how to solve this problem  Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

See what programs are installed in Ubuntu: https://askubuntu.com/questions/556542/how-to-list-all-software-installed-on-ubuntu-14-04-and-uninstall-them

To avoid using the Terminal, scroll down to the Ubuntu Software Center portion.

What browser are you using?  If you use a different one such as Chrome will it make any difference?

No go Bob.  Teh Ubuntu Software Center link didn't work and if I let it work long enough it timed out.

The browser I am using is FF 54.0.  Haven't used another browser yet.  Will try Chrome and let you know. Thanks.

Later:  I downloaded Chrome and it is as slow as FF.

Edited by kemperhills

Try running these two commands from the Terminal (sorry for pointing you towards the Terminal again):

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

and then:

sudo apt-get install software-center*

See if that installs Software Center.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Try running these two commands from the Terminal (sorry for pointing you towards the Terminal again):

and then:

Will do Bob, and I installed Chrome and it does the same thing.  Slow, slow, slow.

On 6/21/2017 at 9:12 AM, Dr_Bob said:

and then:

I ran the first command and it did a lot of downloading and at the end this showed up "E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?"

Ran second command and everything seems to go right.  Though I don't know what was happening.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, Dr_Bob said:

You should be up to date now and have Software Center installed.  Here is a read through on Software Center, running it and using it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSoftwareCenter

Well Bob, I installed the USC and the link shows up in Accessories but it won't open when I click on it. 

Don't know why but it seems Linux isn't going to run properly on the Asus board.  I have two other computers I have loaded Linux Mint  on and they work fine.  I think I will just load Windows back on this computer and find me another computer to load Linux on. 

Also, would you explain what the first link is for.  I would like to save the link but need to know what it does.  Thanks.

On 6/23/2017 at 3:06 PM, Dr_Bob said:

You should be up to date now and have Software Center installed.  Here is a read through on Software Center, running it and using it: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSoftwareCenter

Well Bob, I installed the USC and the link shows up in Accessories but it won't open when I click on it. 

Don't know why but it seems Linux isn't going to run properly on the Asus board.  I have two other computers I have loaded Linux Mint  on and they work fine.  I think I will just load Windows back on this computer and find me another computer to load Linux on. 

Also, would you explain what the first link is for.  I would like to save the link but need to know what it does.  Thanks.

Do you mean this part?

If so, it basically checks the status of the currently installed packages and the packing installing modules.  Kinda like a Windows Update.

On 6/26/2017 at 11:26 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Do you mean this part?

If so, it basically checks the status of the currently installed packages and the packing installing modules.  Kinda like a Windows Update.

Ok, Bob, I appreciate the info.  Thanks.