I have an old computer which is running very slow. Normally, it works fine but sometimes it become too slow to handle. Whenever I open 9-10 tabs in firefox or runs multiple softwares (average-to-medium-heavy designing applications), it goes unbearably slow. Firefox goes 'not responding', all applications goes 'not responding'. In fact, when I use firefox (with 3-4 tabs open) along with Microsoft Word and leave the computer running idle for 30 minutes and comes back and wake it up, even then both applications (or any other application, if running) goes 'not responding' one-by-one or together. It also happens if I watch any kind of video for more than 5 minutes.

It is Dual-core processor @ 2.7 GHz with only 1 GB of DDR2 800 MHz RAM running on Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit). Motherboard is Intel 965 Express Chipset Family. Usually, RAM usage goes to 90-95%+ and CPU usage remains at 10-20% and goes at a maximum of 60-70% while opening of a software, etc. Computer never hangs up and complete all the tasks it received, but just very slowly.

Now, I know that a minimum of 2 GB RAM is required on Windows 7, but now as the processor is also old, so I am confused here whether upgrading RAM will have any effect on its speed of handling processes or not. I do not play any games, so heavy duty processor is already not required to me. Still, I would think to change it, if required or suggested here.

Hence, could anyone please help me understand whether to further enhance RAM or just change the whole CPU to speed up my system.

I have tried to mention all the details I know. If there is any more questions, please feel free to ask.

An early advise is highly appreciated.

These days, 4GBs of RAM is the lowest I would go. Look for your model at and see if it can support that much and upgrade if you want the computer to be usable--assuming everything else is working normally and the hard drive is still good, upgrading the RAM will show a drastic improvement in performance. 

Is this one of those Netbooks that were a fad several years ago? If so, I would not bother upgrading. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies
    • Don’t fret if you have a dumb home. You can dip your toe into the smart home market with these creative uses for smart plugs. Smart plugs allow you to somewhat automate home tasks that you do routinely or setup procedures for when you leave or enter the home. They do this without the necessity of having a creepy home assistant such as the Amazon Echo, Google Home or any other company that wants to put a listening device in your living room. This article was created to provide some creative uses for smart plugs when we came to realization

Read more on Suggestions For Creative Uses For Smart Plugs For Your Dumb Home

• 0 replies
    • This HP Computer Repair Guide was created for those HP users out there that are either trying to recover from a system crash or are waiting for the inevitable and paralyzed with fear because they will not know what to do when it happens. You have no Windows install disk, after all. What will happen […]

Read more on our HP Computer Repair Guide Tips and Diagnostics Tutorials
      • 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By tantrik
      Processor: Intel Core i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40 GHz
      Motherboard: Asus H81M-E
      Memory: Transcend 2GB DIMM DDR3 1333 MHz (Channel B)
      Undefined 2GB DIMM DDR3 1600 MHz (Channel A)

Dear friends,
      I am planning to buy a new desktop pc in couple of months with the latest generation of processor, motherboard, ram and new hard disk available in the market. I want to preserve my present pc components (processor, motherboard, hard disk and ram) for future use since they are working without any hassle. Will my present pc components function properly and last longer if not used for a long time? Should I use the unused motherboard, processor, ram and hard disk once in couple of months just to check and make sure they are in proper working condition? How effectively can I preserve the current pc components for future use if needed?
      Thanks in advance.
    • By ASCII
      Hello, I would like to ask your opinion guys for more clarification before I'll buy a new Motherboard. I just don't wanna waste my money to buy a wrong component.

Here is the scenario:

After I played my favorite game CSGO, I shifted to my Google chrome window to browse my facebook (The CSGO is still on the background). Then suddenly, my PC turned off. Then whenever I tried to turn it on again, it will turn on for 2-3 seconds then it will automatically turn off again. 

My first suspect is the PSU, so I replaced the PSU with my spare PSU. But same thing happened. I also tried to reset the BIOS of my motherboard but same thing still happened.

I tried to remove the fans, RAM, GPU and also the CPU but same thing happened. I literally tried to remove all the attached things on my motherboard to know what is the problem.

So the last suspect is just the motherboard. Since my motherboard is no longer under warranty, my uncle tried to wash it (he knows how to properly wash the motherboard because he's computer technician for so many years). But same thing still happened.

Is there still any broken parts with that scenario? I just would like to clarify with more experts because I have only enough money to buy motherboard and I don't wanna waste it. I tried to search on some forums with similar symptoms, some of them said it's a shorted motherboard but some of them also said it can be CPU.

Hoping for your answers and thanks in advance.

Processor: i5 4590s Intel
      GPU: GTX 750 Ti GDDR5
      RAM: 1x8gb Kingston HyperX
      MOBO: H81M-DS2 Gigabyte
    • By Kronze21

Okay I have Windows 7 ultimate x86 on my Frankenstein.  I like to think I know quite a bit about computers.  I usually fix all of the issues with my computers and the people I know.  However this one has got me flabbergasted.  When I first discovered this issue I tried to boot up Windows 7.  I got this error ram disk can't be created.  I don't even understand that, I never tried to create a ram disk.  I don't even have a program to create a ram disk.  I installed Windows xp just so I could log in and see if I could figure something out.  I looked at system information and it appeared only 64MB of my 4GB of RAM installed where being detected.  I thought okay must be that my RAM has gone bad, no problem I'll just order some more online.  I finally received the RAM and installed it.  I was supremely confident that was the issue.  However I tried to boot Windows 7 again and I get the same problem!!  I then log in to Windows xp and still shows only 64MB of RAM are being detected.  I've tried searching online to see if someone else has had the same issues and I've had no luck what so ever.  I did a memory check and everything checked out just find.  The RAM isn't the issue so what is wrong???  I have no idea.
    • By abcguy
      I will have to repost this, since my computer was way destroyed to do the diagnosis back then..

Hello guys.
      I have a recurring hardware error since i got my pc and i have no solution, even professional techs couldn't give an answer.

My pc composes of:
      *ECS MCP61M - M3    (motherboard)
      *AMD Phenom II X6 1050T (processor)
      *NVidia GeForce GTS 450 (graphics card)
      Ever since i got my pc, i was experiencing weird pixelations on the screen. There were small squares of weird pixel colors. The weird thing was that they were persistent, meaning when they appeared in a text document, if i scrolled down, they would move accordingly. (I thought it was a RAM corruption problem - perhaps a faulty RAM)
      Then the screen was getting black and restored and i was getting a message that the Nvidia graphics crashed and restarted. 
      So this went on and they replaced my graphics card (i had warranty). Then nothing changed and eventually they said even the new graphics card was burnt and i replaced it with this one (with its 450). But nothing changed.
      Other errors occurred too:
      *Computer crashed - eg when watching youtube videos - or other intensice activites (like video editing)
      *MOST COMMON - computer didn't boot. It didn't even go to the BIOS. No options, no white letters before the OS started booting up... Nothing. I had to restart many times till Windows starts.
      *Many times, after a crash, the 'sleep' option (hibernation) in windows was unavailable... The only way to fix this was to use windows retire, or to update the graphics card drivers
      *Sometimes, perhaps three times, not only was the sleep option unavailable, but the graphics were really messed up. Like running a system from three previous generations. Again this was fixable, either by using system restore or updating the graphics card drivers.
      *Sometimes the pc wont boot at al.. No LED, no fan. like there is a power failure. I disconnect the power plug, and reconnect and after some tries it boots again.
      *Sometimes the pc won't boot and the fan changes speed constantly (i can hear it).
      *After a regular boot, i very often received a message that windows created a temporary paging file.
      I used to think three things could be the problem:

I thing three things could be a problem:
      *Motherboard (obvious thought because many things in the errors)
      *RAM (i thought due to computer crashes and weird pixelation - but doesn't make sense because a)computer didn't boot and RAM is irrelevant, b)graphics card have their own memory, so no DMA accesses that involves RAM)
      *HDD (Due to problems fixed with graphics card update, or the unavailability of sleep function was perisstent. But still, if that was the case, the computer should be able to boot BIOS, the error would be in loading the OS or stuff from the hdd)
      *Power supply. This is my latest thought. Perhaps there is a power failure. Bear in mind, the peripherals of my computer are from respectable companies, the only one of lesser quality is the power supply which comes from a greek company that has many hardware that just fails. So maybe it is just this? And the power supply failure propagates failure to all systems?
      After these speculations, i used UBCD and tested my RAM modules. They turned out to be OK.
      I post pictures of my PSU module.
      Also i post pictures of some of the errors (as attachment)
      Finally i post the output of speecy.
      Thanks a lot!

• By jschulist92
      Hey guys, pretty newbie PC builder here as this is my first ever PC.
      I got a little bit of an issue. I've got a new gaming pc I built about a month ago, and last night while browsing the web it just restarted and put itself in a BSOD loop. I couldn't access bios, it would just keep restarting. I powered it off and decided to worry about it in the morning. This morning I turned it on and my mobo started a recovery thing on its own, where it took me to a screen to restore windows 10. I chose to wipe all files and install a clean win10, when that installation got to about 30% my pc just rebooted again. Now I can at least access bios, and I reset all settings to default, but when I "Save & Exit" my bios it goes to a black screen where I can still see my cursor if I move my mouse, but my keyboard LED's keep restarting and it goes no where past that black screen.

I have tried resetting cmos, resetting bios, I unplugged and reattached all of my hard ware including switching my ram to the 2 other slots. At a complete loss here as to what to do. Everything powers up and all of the lights come on but I just can't seem to boot.

So I wound up just wiping the ssd and doing a fresh install of windows by USB, I was able to get on my pc and update all drivers when it started a BSOD loop again. I figured I'd try to install windows on my HDD in case it was my ssd causing the issue, so unplugged my ssd. When I went to boot up my windows 10 USB I got bsod again.. I left it be over night, turned it on this morning and was able to make it to the install screen.

My pc specs are
      GTX 1070
      Msi krait gaming x3
      16gb TridentZ 3200 MHz ram
      240gb Transcend SSD as my boot drive
      Evga 650w 80+ gold psu

Please help me! I am at a complete and utter loss as to what this issue could be..... Short of going out and buying all new hardware one by one, which I REALLY do not want to do unless I know exactly what the issue is! I have attached images of a few of the errors I get when it is stuck in a BSOD restart loop.