• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Sign in to follow this  
Fede17

Loud Fan Noise & Black Screen

Question

Posted (edited)

For the past few months I’ve been having problems starting up my computer.

When I turn it on, as it’s loading windows, there’s a fan noise that grows steadily louder, and the screen blacks out before it reaches the login screen.

In the past, I’d be able to reach the login screen, and once logged on, the fan noise would die down as the desktop loaded, and then everything would run normally.

Now, I’m not an expert on computers, nor I have ever built one, but after running a temperature check in the past, and ran a few different heavy programs I used to use, like Autodesk Maya, and various video games, that same fan noise came up quite loudly, and I noticed the video card’s temperature spike up to a little over 100 degrees celsius, while the CPU stayed on an average 50 to 60 degrees celsius, so I kind of ruled that out as being the cause (I thought maybe the thermal paste wore off…).

Through common sense I came to the conclusion that it is my graphics’ card, and I would need to replace it.

This is the computer and it’s specs:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02271779

(with the exception that I swapped the 8GB of ram with 16BG sometime last year)

I’d just like to know if I’m on the right track, or I got this all wrong.

Thank you.

Edited by Fede17

7 answers to this question

Sounds like a failing GPU fan.  When temps increase in the case or in the card the fan will automatically, unless specifically set otherwise to a static speed, ramp up to accommodate the increase in heat.  I would clean out the inside of my case especially the fan and heatsink of the video card and see if it makes a difference.  I would use a soft bristled tooth brush and a can of compressed air.  Hold onto the fan when spraying the compressed air or you could damage it.

39 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

Sounds like a failing GPU fan.  When temps increase in the case or in the card the fan will automatically, unless specifically set otherwise to a static speed, ramp up to accommodate the increase in heat.  I would clean out the inside of my case especially the fan and heatsink of the video card and see if it makes a difference.  I would use a soft bristled tooth brush and a can of compressed air.  Hold onto the fan when spraying the compressed air or you could damage it.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/desktop/5000/5770 (The card in question)

I've cleaned it several times lately, specifically the fan, since it's exposed. But I've never cracked the case open entirely.

However, as you pointed it out, I might have screwed up. I never held the fan in place all the times I used compressed air to clean it. I could have very likely damaged the fan over time and this is why it's all happening?

Temps over 100C is pretty hot.  It is likely your card cannot keep itself cool and the fan is at least mildly damaged if you can hear it grinding/rattling/buzzing loudly. 

Do you have onboard video on the motherboard where you could remove the GPU card and make sure you can reliably boot into Windows without it?  This will 100% point to the graphics card being the main issue.

Posted (edited)
On 10/3/2017 at 10:01 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Temps over 100C is pretty hot.  It is likely your card cannot keep itself cool and the fan is at least mildly damaged if you can hear it grinding/rattling/buzzing loudly. 

Do you have onboard video on the motherboard where you could remove the GPU card and make sure you can reliably boot into Windows without it?  This will 100% point to the graphics card being the main issue.

My bad. I thought it had onboard video because of the plugs behind the computer, however, it beeps on turning it on, 3 times.

Upon further inspections, it looks like this specific model, because it came with a graphic card installed, it doesn't come with an integrated video on the motherboard. :(

I'm going to open the card now, carefully, and see what's up inside.

But it's starting to look like I should just replace the GPU.. yeah?

EDIT:

I opened the case of the card, all very clean, thermal paste seemed fine too, except there was a very thick layer of dust between the heat-sink and the fan.

So I guess I'll try this:

1. Re-apply thermal paste and try again

2. If it still makes a noise I'll see if I can find an exact replacements for the fan

3. If it still doesn't work, I'll shop around for a new card.

Edited by Fede17

Yea, that layer of dust is likely what was causing it to overheat.  Definitely put new thermal paste on it and after you put it back together hopefully it will be ok.  If not you are correct that you are likely in the market for a new video card.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:03 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Yea, that layer of dust is likely what was causing it to overheat.  Definitely put new thermal paste on it and after you put it back together hopefully it will be ok.  If not you are correct that you are likely in the market for a new video card.

Yup! That did the trick!

Cleaned it from the dust, put new thermal paste.

Computer boots up perfectly, and there's no noise from the card. Everything is running great! :)

Thank you!

Edited by Fede17

Glad to hear you are up and running perfectly.  If you ever have any other questions feel free to come on back and hit us up!