• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Question

Hello, I am trying to restore my Windows 98 Gateway so that I can enjoy some old programs once again. It powers on but gives me this error message upon trying to boot to desktop. What is this error and how can I fix it? 

A1CA10F8-FCDB-4139-8F99-2DFADE373370.png

7 answers to this question

msconfig and the startup tab would be where I would start.  Uncheck anything not needed.

2 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

msconfig and the startup tab would be where I would start.  Uncheck anything not needed.

Hello Dr_Bob and thank you so much for your reply! I searched online to see how to get into misconfig but it seems I need access to my start menu in order to do so? The computer refuses to finish booting so I do not have access to the start panel or anything on the desktop screen.  Is there another way to find misconfig?

Try tapping F8 when booting to see if you can access Safe Mode With Networking. If so, you should be able to get into msconfig and turn off apps that do not need to run. 

On 10/13/2017 at 4:14 PM, Dave@Bytes said:

Try tapping F8 when booting to see if you can access Safe Mode With Networking. If so, you should be able to get into msconfig and turn off apps that do not need to run. 

Thank you so much! I will give it a try and will post back here should I run into any further issues!

On 10/13/2017 at 4:14 PM, Dave@Bytes said:

Update: I have used F8 and from the boot screen I was able to access Safe Mode With Networking but I get the same screen as the screenshot included in my first post - my desktop picture with no start menu or desktop icons. How can I get into misconfig without a start menu?

Ugh . . . maybe try a step by step confirmation boot up. Did you see that in the boot options after hitting F8? You can choose to allow or deny something from loading. Might take a while, but give that a try. 

Also, if you're trying to play a specific game, maybe there is another way to do it? Compatibility Mode, for example. 

8 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

Ugh . . . maybe try a step by step confirmation boot up. Did you see that in the boot options after hitting F8? You can choose to allow or deny something from loading. Might take a while, but give that a try. 

Also, if you're trying to play a specific game, maybe there is another way to do it? Compatibility Mode, for example. 

It appears that an old antivirus program, which I overlooked before, is running on startup. The program tells me it has a corrupt file which is no surprise, as it has been on my computer for many years and has not been updated.

As for step-by-step confirmation I tinkered around with it and used it to turn off the antivirus software but other than the program I really don’t know which to say “Y” to and “N” to. After fooling around with it a few times I managed to get my desktop picture to load in full color but the start menu and desktop icons never appeared and the error message was still present.  

I am afraid that in addition to the antivirus software something else is preventing Windows from properly booting up.

How could I possibly pinpoint what else is going wrong? I do plan to do a fresh install of Windows but would rather not jump there yet as I want into the computer to recover my files and data beforehand. Could a recovery disk be of any help? 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Our picks

• I'm new to this forum and my technical knowledge is extremely limited!

1) Does anyone know if Microsoft are going to produce a Windows 11? I have found only conflicting information on the Internet.

2) I have found lots of Windows 10 books on the Internet. Any recommendations for a good basic book on Windows 10?

• 5 replies
    •  

We pre-purchased and pre-installed the game Shadow of War on our gaming PC through Steam this week only to discover it would not launch when we clicked Play. I wanted to post our fix here in case anyone else searching the Web for clues to this needs help. 

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game (all 100gigs worth). 

Tried rolling back the nVidia graphics driver.

Tried cursing (made me feel better but did not fix the issue). 

Scanned and verified the game from within Steam

Ran sfc /scannow from the command line to make sure Windows was OK.

I ultimately realized the issue was with Visual C++ Redistributable

I had multiple version installed. Some we very old. I removed them all and installed Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 from here and that fixed it. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145

If anyone else had problems and found different solutions, let us know. 
      • 0 replies
  • Popular Contributors

• Similar Content

• By Cooltikk
      My IMac lately has been having problems, when I boot it up the screen does the normal white flash all Macs do, but then the rest of it is just a black screen non-lit. And that's the farthest it'll go. I can't access CMD or boot in safe-mode. The only problem I can think of is a corrupted harddrive but I can't access the inside of it currently. (Need Suction Cups) my temps are bad so I wouldn't be surprised if I have anything fried, my CPU has been at 87 and 93 temps before, and yes I do game with a Mac it was a gift when I was 13 back in 2011. I'd like to know if anyone else knows the problem before I spend more money on a dead machine.
      IMac All-in-one. Hardware if needed*
      Intel i52500s
      AND Raddeon 6770S HD
      8gb of ram
      Harddrive I have no clue.
    • By monadowhirl
      So a couple days ago I dual installed linux ubuntu alongside with my preexisting windows 10. i used it for a week and then decided i wanted to shorten my partition space for ubuntu. In doing so, i deleted a couple of other windows partitions by accident( i believe i deleted the msr and recovery disks) and when i restarted windows 10 an error screen telling me i need to restart would come up (it looked like this ~ https://images.scdn8.secure.raxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/img_594b73734961c.jpg). Every time it would restart the same error would come back.

This is what I tried:
      system restore and reset
      startup repair tool
      testdisk on ubuntu (though I haven't exhausted all the options it gave me)

I used testdisk to revive on of my drives (i dont think it was the  msr drive) and when i restarted the computer I got the attached recovery error. Pressing enter did nothing and pressing f8 also did nothing. So now I'm downloading windows 10 media on a usb to recover it and ill see if that works. Nevertheless, is there anything I should do? I still have an ubuntu usb so if that could help fix this problem then that'd be great.

• By Omareladawy
      I have a HP G62-455SX it has 2GB of ram and a 320GB hard drive that is two partitions one is 120GB and the other one is 180GB and a Core-I3 M350,
      i updated the BIOS to the latest version, the laptop can install windows 8.1 but it can't install windows 10 they are both 64bit, when i install windows 10 the install finishes then restarts after the installing drivers with windows 10 boot logo, after it restarts the screen goes black it doesn't do anything i try to restart the laptop but then windows 10 gives me an error machine check exception if i restart again it gives me the same error or another error. 
      before i updated the bios i installed windows 8.1 just to update the bios and after updating it,i formated the 320GB hard drive into one partition and windows 10 installed then i wanted to see if the problem is fixed so i formated it again into two partitions and tried to install windows 10 but it does the same thing and windows 8.1 still installs without problems what should i do ?
    • By LectricCircuit
      So my hard drive went bad in my computer. Installed new hard drive and put xp disk in drive to install to HD but it was in a bootloop. After some diagnostics I found my DVD drive was bad which caused a bootloop because the boot order was set to DVD drive first. I installed a new DVD drive and it worked. Finally out of bootloop and installed windows do to HD. After install the computer restarts and loads the first screen with the logo and the options to hit f10 for sys recovery or esc for boot menu, etc.... then after that screen I get a black screen that says "a disk read error has occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Any idea what would cause this?
    • By monchhichibb
      One day ,I found that my wallpaper is gone and like logged in to a safe mode ( No files on my desktop ). And I checked "my document" ,about 80% of files is vanished . I sent my pc to fix .They can find me the folder of gone files ,like ":/desktop" .However, all the files on desktop is damaged and cannot be opened .
      The files includes :doc ,xls ,jpg ,avi ,mav ...... (all files kinds insides those missing destination ) 

I tried to use DataNumen Word Repair to repair my doc file .But it said 

Possible reasons: virus /trojan / //-->but I didn't download or install any special stuff lately 
      window update failure //--> I did a window patch update failure ,but nothing special that time and I reupdate it successfully 

How can I open those damaged files ? (those files sizes are okay ,like docx -> 4 mb ,no size reduction i guess )