• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

MnstrGrvyrd

Green Screen after turning "monitor" off and on

Question

Hi!

So my computer recently started displaying a filled green screen after I turn the "monitor" off and on again. It doesn't seem to matter how long this takes, could be just a minute or a couple hours. I say "monitor" because my computer is hooked up to my tv via HDMI. The tv is a TCL Roku TV, if that's relevant.  needed a software update or something, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I built my computer myself, but I'm still pretty new to debugging problems and when I searched for this problem elsewhere, overclocking seemed to be a common issue but I don't even know what overclocking is, so I don't know if that's my problem. 

Possibly relevant information:

Video Card: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 470 100407NT+4GOCL 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready

CPU: AMD - FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory: HyperX FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model HX318C10FBK2/16

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode 

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 answers to this question

Try to open the Control Panel and lower the refresh rate of the monitor, maybe it will work then.

• Thanks 1

This is what is called a handshaking issue between the HDMI devices. One or both of the devices is having problems communicating with the other. Maybe try a different HDMI cable, if you have one. 

• Thanks 1