• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Sign in to follow this  
sew333

iiyama refresh 144HZ – one time booted with lower refresh.

Question

Hello.
My pc:
*Asus Z170-P with 6700K cpu

*Corsair 750 RM

*Gtx 1080 Ti Founder Edition

*Monitor Red Eagle IIyama 24' 1080p 144hz plugged by display port cable to GFX.

Few days ago i get power outage. Power outage was because fuse was tripped because of kitchen which was turned on in other room.

When i run pc first time on first boot ( after power outage ) refresh was normal at start 144hz.
When i manually turn off computer and turn on again,and on my second boot it happened. Refresh was lower than 144hz. To make again 144hz i turned off monitor and turn back on again.

So that was bug or that power outage related cause it happen soon after outage?

But i like i said on my first pc run ( boot ) after power outage refresh was 144hz fine. It happened just after i normally shutdown my pc and booted pc second time.

Maybe coincidence and i am worrying for nothing,hehe ?

So conclusion: It happened not just after ( not on pc first power on ) power outage.
But on second time ( second turn ) when i boot to Windows 10. On my second turning on pc, second boot to windows. So not immediately after power outage.

PS: I tried to reproduce only 3 times by cutting power to pc and powering on and booting again, but 144hz on start. Not able to reproduce.

Maybe coincidence and i am worrying for nothing? Or maybe i have dirty power in house?

8 answers to this question

Sounds like you may be worrying for nothing but I would have a UPS battery backup on my PC if I were you.  That will fix any "dirty power" issues as well as keep your PC from shutting down incorrectly.  It isnt really a good idea to pull the power from your PC for testing either.  You can mess up Windows doing so.

Pc was running in fire strike benchmark.
At the same time my mother was powering on electric oven in kitchen.
And then power went out in house.
Then she go to shop and buy new fuse.
Later a friend replaced fuse  and power back on in house.

When power back. I booted pc firs time and all was fine, refresh 144hz . But then i turn off pc . Go rest to bed. After 30 minutes i turn pc on again. And then windows 10 booted with lower refresh than 144hz. To revert 144hz i turn off monitor and turn back on. Sorry for language. Really apologize. Understand?

I think I understand.  This issue only happened one time, correct?  It is not a reoccurring issue?

yes it happened once. And i am not able to reproduce.

Yes I would probably just invest in a good UPS and call it a day.

Somebody said:", I would think the monitor has suffered a voltage spike or even under voltage and maybe damaged. If the monitor keeps reverting to a lower refresh rate when turning it on after a period of time of being off or after the power goes out repeatedly it could be only the beginning of problems especially the keeps dropping out inexplicably."

So what now something with my monitor?

Hi Sew333. In all my years of being in IT, I have seen thousands upon thousands of different things happen once only to never happen again. If you are having voltage issues I would really be more concerned about what might be happening to the hard drive. Sudden power outages--at the right time--can kill your drive and all of its data. As Bob suggested, I would look into a UPS to make sure this doesn't happen again. Good luck, keep us posted. 

Hello again. :) Thank your helping. Also my last question. This happened once. But it was power outage related or just other reason?

I cant reproduce this. And all is fine after this incident. But i want to be sure.

It happened not just after ( not on pc first power on ) power outage.
But on second time ( second turn ) when i boot to Windows 10. On my second turning on pc, second boot to windows. So not immediately after power outage.

Edited by sew333