• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

dj-lau

How can I transfer my files from old computer to Macbook?

I kept my family photos and files in my HP computer which has been working for nearly 8 yrs. Recently, I bought myself a new Macbook. The new Macbook looks cool
and charm.

I'd like to move photos and files from the old computer to Macbook. The moving files size is it too big to upload n download through internet. So I tried to a
external hard drive. Thus, a big problem came to me. The hard drive worked well on the elder comptuer, but it wasn't recognised on Macbook while connecting. I was
told the external hard drive can not support Windows system and Mac system. They are separated, file format not recognised between each other!!! What a joke! I
never met such problem on transfering files through usb flash drive or har drive between PCs before! It's crazy crazy crazy…

Whatever, calm down, the job still there and never be done. I was recommended to buy a Plugable Windows Transfer Cable on Amazon. I found it on Amazon. I felt disappointed because my new Macbook only owns a very slim port. It doesn't support common usb connection. 

Does anyone meet such problem? Do you guys got any good ideas? Tks!

Edited by dj-lau

Hi DJ, congrats on the new Macbook. Transferring files on an external drive will work if you format the drive in a format that both computers understand. In a nutshell, you will need to format the device for FAT32 or exFAT. 

Read more here: https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=291

Note: Any data you currently have on the drive will be wiped, so just keep that in mind. 

I made a choice to order another file transfer cable on Amazon. It's advertised works between Windows and Mac. Not  sure if it works, gonna try it. Tks

Great, please let us know if it works for you. 

On 2017/11/24 at 9:58 PM, Dave@Bytes said:

Great, please let us know if it works for you. 

I was not quite sure before. It really impressed me when I saw it. The cord has a very solid feel. After plugged to both HP & Macbook, the driver came out and star installation automatically on both sides. Additional simple verification steps needed on Macbook.

It did the job for me. but spent nearly 3hours to transfer 186G files. If it could provide faster transfer rate, that would be better.

Those cables can be pricey, too. Did you make sure both ends were connected to a USB 3 port? If one side was USB2, that would slow down the transfer rate, but overall, that is not bad. If you were able to see the MAC as a drive on Windows, you could have used the ROBOCOPY command to speed things up a little. That is better than copy and paste.