• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Stephanie777

Firefox Quantum 57 & Win 7. "Secure Connection Failed"

Dear PC Tech Bytes Experts:

Hello! Could you please help me? I am not sure whether this is a malware problem or simply an internet browser issue.

About a week or so ago, my Firefox automatically updated to Firefox 57, Quantum. I have Windows 7. I noticed that websites were loading more slowly.

Yesterday, I was surfing as usual and suddenly I got 2 blue screen crashes within a 2 or 3 hour period. I had to restart Windows each time. I ran Spybot as well as CC Cleaner (cleaning up the registry as well). I tried to do a system restore as well. Then I noticed that, although I can gain access to the internet (the firefox home page), I cannot gain access to any other website.

Each time I try to open a page, the new Firefox ball wags back and forth, like it's taunting me, and then finally the message "Secure Connection Failed" / "Problem loading page" comes up.

I tried to go through the troubleshooting steps on the firefox website, checking extentions and plugins. I ckecked my firewall and i do see MozillaFirefox listed.

I am not able to clear history, because for that I need internet connectivity or workable browser, right? I also cannot refresh firefox or download a new version of firefox. How does one install an internet browser when one does not have an internet browser?

Could this be Malware, do you think?

I have had both MalwareBytes (the paid version) running the whole time, as well as the free anti-virus program "Commodo". However, I believe I did see Malware warning messages flashing up a few times yesterday.

I don't know a lot about computers. Could someone please walk me through a series of Troubleshooting Steps until we fix this problem, i.e. until I have an internet browser that works? I am a full-time researcher and writer, so the sooner we can fix this, the better. This is my only computer, so I must work in an internet cafe until I get my computer working again. I am feeling extremely anxious. Thank you so much, in advance, for your help!

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, 

You do not have Internet Explorer installed on your computer? 

The error sounds like a man in the middle attack. So, for example, if you were going to a site that has https: connection and there was an issue with the certification, it could be that someone or something is interrupting your packets and causing the connection to fail. Hope that makes sense. 

CCleaner can remove your cookies, history, temp files from browsers and OSes.  Its free to use.  As Dave mentioned, use IE to download it.  Also download FF and uninstall it and reinstall from the download.

Thank you! 

Well, I now know that all browsers do not work. Both Opera and Internet Explorer also do not work. I usedd CCCleaner to clear the cache.

If this is a virus. could you possibly guide me through a troubleshooting process to get the virus removed?

I have had Malwarebytes (paid version) and Comodo anti-virus running the whole time. I don't know how I could have caught a virus. 

Any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks again.

Stephanie

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. Still doesn't work.

I will try rkill next. Thanks.

My signature shows all the programs I usually use to clean a system.  If you still do not have a functioning browser, how did you re-download FF and how did you get CCleaner?  Or does IE work but still give that error?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies
    •  

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is out, but if you are not in the initial wave of the roll-out, it may be some time before you get the update. Fortunately, you can manually download and install it. The Windows 10 Fall Creators update tweaks and streamlines existing features, as well as adding cool new ones.

Get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update may already be pending for your system. To check, type in Windows Update into your search box, check for updates, and see if there is one waiting to install. If it says you are currently up to date, you can manually force the Windows 10 Fall Creators update by downloading it here: Windows 10 Fall Creators Download. The download tool checks your system for compatibility, and once it is determined your system specs can run it, the download can begin. A reboot is required to install the Windows Update. You can read our full article on this here: https://www.pctechbytes.com/windows-10/download-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
      • 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By Stereoeggs
      Hi,

My situation: My Windows 7 (64-bit PRO) computer is crashing (all of a sudden, there is no power and it stops running) after I have booted from a bootable anti-malware rescue disk, while the anti-malware program is running.

The computer is crashing after the anti-malware program has been running approximately 20-30 minutes, and the crash happens before the anti-malware program has found any malware or viruses. (So far, no malware or viruses have been found -  but the anti-malware program has never finished its scan, due to crashing.)

Question: Is the crashing more likely due to a failing power supply...or more likely due to undetected malware or viruses?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! 
    • By Stereoeggs

Hello, all....

I think my Windows 7 (64 bit Pro) computer may be infected with a virus or other malware due to strange behavior. 

After running a free copy of Kaspersky Security Scan, the report it generated said I have over 120 password-protected files that it suggested may be infected with a virus or other malware. Most of the files listed are game files, and part of just one game I have loaded on my computer...and most of those password-protected files are of the type "map_014.dat" where the number "014" changes, however, it appears that not all of the numbered "map".dat files were found by Kaspersky to be password-protected. 

I have a number of games loaded on my computer, yet Kaspersky only found some of the files in this one game to be password-protected. Does this mean that these files are likely infected? ...And should I just delete and reinstall the entire game? Do game developers often password-protect only some game files but not all of them? 

Does anyone have any advice as to what, if anything, I should do about the other, non-game files that Kaspersky listed as "password-protected"...which would not be as easy to just delete and "reinstall"? 

Thanks for any help or advice.

• By pcrepair24
      Hello! My name is Darryl! I am a local technician located in Tempe Arizona. I'm really flexible with my time and pricing. I even offer some services free of charge! I'm looking forward to getting to know the community here!!! Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!!!

Your local tech guy,

Darryl Mangum

• By robthurman
      Hi recently I installed a copy of cdrwin from my friend, and part of the instructions for installing was replacing EmRegSys.Dll with a edited version provided, so I found the DLL and replaced it later I saw another text file which said the program came from a cracked source which really annoyed me, because I don't know if the emregsys.dll I replace the system copy with could of been a virus, I did some googling and found that EMRegSys.dll is a virus and only SpyHunter can take care of it, unfortunately after some more researching I found SpyHunter to be a really abusive software.
      So I scanned my system with MalwareBytes(Free) and Avira(Free) which found nothing, I am thinking of replacing emregsys.dll with a copy on my mums window 8 computer, is this safe?
      I really feel like a idiot for copying over what could of been a cracked emregsys.dll and replacing the legit one, that's my fault for thinking the program was already payed for, when I should'nt get it of someone but buy it myself where I know I'm getting a legit version.

If you can help set my mind at ease that would be great, Thank You
    • By Djimbe
      Sooo I bought a used laptop... (waits for laughter to die down) so sue me, Im poor. 

Dell Inspiron 5720
      intel core i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
      8.00 RAM (7.87 useable)
      64 bit operating system

Problems...

Wont download certain pages, and the internet is GLACIAL ... this is worse on IE than Chrome

Certain pages seem less likely to appear than others. Specifically pages that can help (youtube malwarebytes, etc) 

Issues with connecting to and maintaining Wifi networks. I can only connect when I attach external antennae/adapter, and get dropped all the time. I get less than 1mbps consistently on speed tests

Certain programs ... well I started IPConfig and it popped up for a SPLIT second and then appeared to fade down to the task bar but then it was gone. tried to defrag, same result. I