• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

Flute

Help my new pc wont boot

Question

Hey i build my pc today and when i tryed to turn it on, it did'nt boot. I have tryed all the commen problems, such as checking the power cables, un plugging and pluggin in everything again. I have now taken the motherboard ot of my tower onto an non conductive surface and tryed to jump start it with a screwdrive witch didnt work. I have come to suspect the powerswitch not to work on the motherboard. Any suggestions?

My specs are

Motherboard: asus strix z270f

CPU: I5 8600k

GPU: Asus strix 1080

RAM: Gskill DDR4 3200mhz 2x8

Power supply: cooler Corsair 750w

CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2 

Sandisk SSD 240gb

6 answers to this question

Bummer. 

Any lights on the motherboard at all? Is there a power switch on the PSU? Have you tried a different outlet? Have you tried powering it on without the components added--maybe the RAM is shorting it out, for example. 

there are ligts lighting up one the motherboard and also the graphics card has two led's to indicate power which also turns on. So i dont think it's the psu but i haven't tryed another outlet. And yes i have tryed to power it on without the components.

Thanks for the suggestion i will try a different outlet :)

It's likely not the outlet but you should rule it out . . . you can test the power supply if you have a multimeter to ensure it is providing the correct power to the motherboard, but you may be right that there is an issue with the switch. Unfortunately, you may need to return the motherboard if you rule everything else out. 

I have found a solution it turns out that my motherboard, needs a chip to work with intels new 8000 processor series. So i have refunded my processor and now orderd a i7 7700k instead. But thanks for the help Dave i really appreciate it :)

Thanks for posting the solution. That is a nice gaming rig you got there. Makes me itchy to upgrade mine. :biggrin:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• When we think of survival gadgets, we might think of a compass, a foil blanket or an all-in-one tool to saw down trees, open cans and light your fire. While those gadgets are certainly great to have in an emergency, this is a technology website, so we are going to show you the best tech gadgets for survival should any geek step outdoors. 

Read more on  The Best Tech Survival Gadgets In An Emergency Situation 

• 0 replies
    • The cable companies have you, and they know it. Or do they? This guide to cord cutting will help you wiggle out of the bundle trap you have been ensnared in for the past several years. Cord-cutting is no longer a myth and our guide will explain how to overcome some of the pitfalls you may be concerned about.

Read more on PCTechBytes Cord Cutting Guide Secret Tips and Tricks here.

• 0 replies
    •  

The Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is out, but if you are not in the initial wave of the roll-out, it may be some time before you get the update. Fortunately, you can manually download and install it. The Windows 10 Fall Creators update tweaks and streamlines existing features, as well as adding cool new ones.

Get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

The Windows 10 Fall Creators update may already be pending for your system. To check, type in Windows Update into your search box, check for updates, and see if there is one waiting to install. If it says you are currently up to date, you can manually force the Windows 10 Fall Creators update by downloading it here: Windows 10 Fall Creators Download. The download tool checks your system for compatibility, and once it is determined your system specs can run it, the download can begin. A reboot is required to install the Windows Update. You can read our full article on this here: https://www.pctechbytes.com/windows-10/download-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
      • 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By swillia9
      Hello,
      We opened up my brothers Asus Q551L notebook to blow the crud out as he said it was running poorly. We did indeed blow it out, but we also detached the fan/heatsink combo and what I'm assuming was a display cable woven in and around the fan chassis and up the monitor. I cleaned of the old, worn thermal paste with alcohol and put new on and reconnected everything. However the computer will not start. I've done a hard reboot where you remove the battery and hold the power and all that. I've double and triple checked cables and connections to no avail. The charge light shows it's getting power from the adapter and that it is trying to turn on, but nothing is receiving the turn-on signal. It was start and stuff before we disassembled the few parts and I didn't think I disconnected anything major. I was always taught we should disconnect a battery before servicing a computer anyways. So I'm really stumped as to what might be the issue. Any ideas and fixes? 

Thanks  
    • By GrimReaper
      My Asus laptop was unplugged and started updating. It ran out of battery mid update. Whenever I turn it on, it starts updating, but when it reaches the 80-83%, it gets stuck. The percent stays the same even if I leave it for 3-4 hours. It's an Asus G74S running Windows 10. I have no viruses, it did not come with a disk, and I don't have any save/restore point or whatever.
    • By Maddas
      Hello,

Recently my cousin gave me his old rig and told me everything was fine, it ran like a dream. So I got home, booted it up, everything seemed fine...then it BSoD'd on me. It has happened about three times and isn't leaving me any crashdump logs even though I enabled them.

So I downloaded Speccy and had a look around, that's when I found this:

I've never seen a mobo get anywhere near those kind of temps in my life. Do you think the board is ruined? I'm currently posting this from the rig I've mentioned, hasn't BSoD'd on me for a day or so. I haven't really done anything with it though outside of Youtube and web browsing. I've opened the case up and had a look around, everything is really clean and tidy, no cables in the way etc. I put my hand near the mobo but couldn't put out one area that was insanely hot. I'm rather confused by this so any opinion is welcome.

Thank you
    • By tjsocca
      Hey guys, 
      So I thought my old HDD failed (constant start/stop and blue screen) so I bought a new one (this is for ASUS X540LA). Installed WIN 10 OS and everything was working fine (I did all this while keyboard wasn't completely installed and pressed down into clips). I put the keyboard back on completely and on startup the laptop went straight to BIOS. The HDD is now making a very short scratching sort of noise on startup and goes to BIOS every time. Any ideas on what this might be? 
      Thanks!