• Welcome to PCTechBytes

Hello and welcome to PCTechBytes. We have been providing free computer repair help online since 2003. Feel free to browse the forums, but when you're ready to ask a question or comment, please be sure to register. 

profamous

Unable to Take Ownership or Delete Folders

Question

Hello all,

I was recently infected by a number of viruses. While I have removed a number of them, there are multiple unknown processes that I am unable to access or delete through any means. There are two files in question: scavmnu.exe and pwitvmdsvc.exe. I have attempted to delete these files via Unlocker and Boot Deleter, to no avail. I have also attempted to gain ownership of these files through the Properties>Security tab, command prompt, PSExec (icacls), and a context menu registry addition to "Gain Ownership", to no avail.

Also, I have tried deleting these processes via Linux with the drive still online - access denied. Any attempts to view the properties of these files within Security Task Manager is met with Access Denied. Also, it seems that the "pwitvmdsvc.exe" file I am completely unable to view in Windows Explorer, even with hidden and system files shown. The only activity I have seen that seems threatening is traffic over ports 80 and 8080 to a few server companies. See screenshots of Process Explorer and Security Task Manager.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Edited by profamous

1 answer to this question

If I was in your shoes I would cut bait, back up all my important files and format the drive and reinstall Windows.  I know that seems like a lot but it is the best way to know 100% that you are clean and not passing information to some server via a backdoor.

You can try running the programs in my signature in that order and see if it helps but I would still recommend a clean install.