Sign in to follow this  
kemperhills

Some computers can't connect

Recommended Posts

We use a Cricket hot spot for internet.  The other day I noticed one of my desktops in my study had no internet connection, the other did.  My wife has a laptop, and I have a tablet.

Now, my wife's laptop, one of my study computers, and my tablet won't connect to the internet.  Device manager says the driver is working properly.  On any of the three, if the icon in the notification area that shows connection is clicked it says:  "Not connected -  No connections are available".  Running the trouble shooter does no good.  On my study desktop I have installed and uninstalled[with revco uninstaller]the usb adapter many times but it never connects.  I have tried two different adapters, one a Netgear, the other TP-link.  Also my wife's smart phone connects with no problem.

Anyone have any idea why my wife's laptop, one of my study desktops, and my tablet can't find the hot spot, but my other study computer can find, and connect, to the hot spot along with  my wife's smart phone

I have done, and checked, all I know how to do.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Cricket is your actual ISP? Or is it just a hotspot that connects to your router with a different ISP? Cricket is cellular, right? So I am thinking this is cell network you are connecting these computers to, and they can generally do like five connections at a time....

Right-click the network icon in the system tray and select network and sharing....go to Change Adapter Settings....do the wifi adapters have a red X over them? If not, right click and choose Diagnose....if so, right-click and choose Enable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

So Cricket is your actual ISP? Or is it just a hotspot that connects to your router with a different ISP? Cricket is cellular, right? So I am thinking this is cell network you are connecting these computers to, and they can generally do like five connections at a time....

Right-click the network icon in the system tray and select network and sharing....go to Change Adapter Settings....do the wifi adapters have a red X over them? If not, right click and choose Diagnose....if so, right-click and choose Enable. 

Yes the Cricket is my actual ISP and there is no network icon in the tray.  Any changers must by made on the Crickets touch screen face.  And I have checked the settings and the Cricket is on, set to 2.4 GHz, and I have set the sleep mode to off.  Other computer connect like one in my study, but the other one won't.  My wife's smart phone connects but here laptop and my tablet won't.  Some will find and connect, some won't.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you have restarted the machines not working?  Or restarted the hotspot in case it has an issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I would reboot the hotspot...also, did it come with client software to initiate the connection? I know the Verizon MiFi use to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Assuming you have restarted the machines not working?  Or restarted the hotspot in case it has an issue?

Yes Bob, many times.

22 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

Yeah, I would reboot the hotspot...also, did it come with client software to initiate the connection? I know the Verizon MiFi use to.

Dave, this I don't know about because I don't know what it is, or how to find it if I did.

 

Dave, Bob, you are not going to believe this.  Today when I booted my computers the desktop that wouldn't find the hot spot and connect did.  The computer that was connecting won't.  The desktop that was connecting I have rebooted four times, ran the trouble shooter several times and the notification icon, when hovered over, say "not connected - no connections are available". 

 

Whoever is playing with that doll with my name on it, please stop.:smile::laugh::cool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many total devices are you trying to connect--usually there is a limit of five--not sure how Cricket handles it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

How many total devices are you trying to connect--usually there is a limit of five--not sure how Cricket handles it. 

Right now, only two.  But the Cricket allows 8 main and 2 guests. 

9 minutes ago, kemperhills said:

Right now, only two.  But the Cricket allows 8 main and 2 guests. 

 

9 minutes ago, kemperhills said:

 Again you are not going to believe this.  The only thing I did different the last time I used the computer was remove the usb charging cord from one computer, the one that was working, and plugged it into the computer that wasn't working.  Then today, when I booted the computers the one that wasn't connecting did and the other wouldn't.  So I unplugged the usb cord for one and put it in the other.  The one that was connecting a couple of days ago, connected.  The one was wasn't connecting a couple of days ago, then wouldn't connect.  Then, of its own volition, the one not connecting a couple of days ago, did connect today, then wouldn't connect when I moved the usb charging cord back to the computer connection a couple of days ago, suddenly connected.  Hope this makes sense. 

And, I surely and not playing anyone.

 

Edited by kemperhills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 Again you are not going to believe this.  The only thing I did different the last time I used the computer was remove the usb charging cord from one computer, the one that was working, and plugged it into the computer that wasn't working.  Then today, when I booted the computers the one that wasn't connecting did and the other wouldn't.  So I unplugged the usb cord for one and put it in the other.  The one that was connecting a couple of days ago, connected.  The one was wasn't connecting a couple of days ago, then wouldn't connect.  Then, of its own volition, the one not connecting a couple of days ago, did connect today, then wouldn't connect when I moved the usb charging cord back to the computer connection a couple of days ago, suddenly connected.  Hope this makes sense. 

 

confused.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

 

confused.jpg

Me too, Dave, me too.  If I were working on a car and something like this happened I would begin to wonder if the car was possessed.  :laugh::unsure:

 

As always, I appreciate the help you guys give me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy crap lol.  That last USB plugging back and forth was confusing.  Lets try and simplify this a little bit. 

We have the following:

Laptop              = not connected

Tablet               = not connected

Computer 1      = not connected

Computer 2      = connected

SmartPhone     = connected

 

At the moment, is this correct?

 

So you are saying when you USB connect one of the ones that are not connecting, it will start to work?

 

 

Ah Dave beat me to it, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2018 at 12:16 PM, Dr_Bob said:

Holy crap lol.  That last USB plugging back and forth was confusing.  Lets try and simplify this a little bit. 

We have the following:

Laptop              = not connected

Tablet               = not connected

Computer 1      = not connected

Computer 2      = connected

SmartPhone     = connected

 

At the moment, is this correct?

 

So you are saying when you USB connect one of the ones that are not connecting, it will start to work?

 

 

Ah Dave beat me to it, lol.

As if this wasn't confusing enough.  I have found out, I'm serious as a heart attack, that if I leave the Cricket in the living room plugged into a usb port we have on a wall plug in socket, everything connects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ghosts man........ ghosts......

Is your house or shop built on an ancient Indian burial ground cause you have some of the most "unique" PC issues I have seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 4:19 PM, Dr_Bob said:

Ghosts man........ ghosts......

Is your house or shop built on an ancient Indian burial ground cause you have some of the most "unique" PC issues I have seen.

Bob, know this is a late reply, but I have always been lucky that way.  Even when I was working as a mechanic I had this good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Who Was Online

  • Our picks

    • You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

      Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

       
      • 0 replies
    • Don’t fret if you have a dumb home. You can dip your toe into the smart home market with these creative uses for smart plugs. Smart plugs allow you to somewhat automate home tasks that you do routinely or setup procedures for when you leave or enter the home. They do this without the necessity of having a creepy home assistant such as the Amazon Echo, Google Home or any other company that wants to put a listening device in your living room. This article was created to provide some creative uses for smart plugs when we came to realization

      Read more on Suggestions For Creative Uses For Smart Plugs For Your Dumb Home

       
      • 0 replies