Flash drive 'writing" slow

Recently, I discovered one of my flashdrives was writing at incredibly slow speeds (1.8-2.3Mb/s) After checking, I found a total of 5 drives that were operating at sub-standard speeds. Normally (previously) the drive wrote at 6.8Mb/s and usually faster. After countless hours,articles, forums, and questions on the net all I've found is there are multitudes with the same problem and no solution. This is what I've done; wiped/rebuilt partition, formatted (3x), ran malware/virus checks, used fdisk, gparted, chkdsk to take advantage of any "tools" they may have possessed and a few 'suggestions" from forums, even had a priest perform an exorcism (not really). With this problem being so prevalent, I was certain I'd discover a cure/fix. I'm needin' some help here! This is my objective; #1. To identify and correct/eliminate whatever caused the drives slowdown in the first place #2. restore drives to their original operating specs. I've run far too many tests on these drives to accept "they're toast", so, if that's all you have to offer, just don't reply. If you intend to help and require more info, please request. Take a quick look around the net and see just how many folks posted about this problem.

Scrathin' My Head:

1 answer to this question

You would want to find the number of read writes the USB drive has completed so far.  They are only good for so many before they expire.  That number would be where I would start since you say they test fine.  There isnt going to be a magical tool that will fix these most likely.

Assuming they run this way on more than one PC?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who Was Online

• Our picks

• You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies
    • Don’t fret if you have a dumb home. You can dip your toe into the smart home market with these creative uses for smart plugs. Smart plugs allow you to somewhat automate home tasks that you do routinely or setup procedures for when you leave or enter the home. They do this without the necessity of having a creepy home assistant such as the Amazon Echo, Google Home or any other company that wants to put a listening device in your living room. This article was created to provide some creative uses for smart plugs when we came to realization

Read more on Suggestions For Creative Uses For Smart Plugs For Your Dumb Home

• 0 replies
    • This HP Computer Repair Guide was created for those HP users out there that are either trying to recover from a system crash or are waiting for the inevitable and paralyzed with fear because they will not know what to do when it happens. You have no Windows install disk, after all. What will happen […]

Read more on our HP Computer Repair Guide Tips and Diagnostics Tutorials
      • 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By MamaTriedRob
      So, I had 3 flash drives plugged into my laptop when I accidentally dropped it. 1 flash drive still works, but the other 2 do not. Is there a way to repair the flash drives or to somehow recover the data on them?
    • By avh4nato3z
      Hi all,
      I hope I can get some help.  So I screwed up...here's the deal: I took some pictures from recent vacation of kids, family. My sis gave me flash drive to put them on (as i didn't have one readily available). Put them on there, and poof! Gone! Never to be seen again. I've never had trouble with flash drives before. So I asked sis about flash drive cuz there was no name brand on it. She got it "really cheap" on a popular website. I investigated and found out that the cheap flash drives selling on some websites are duds. Apparently some advertise a certain GB and they are not that.
      Anyhow, I installed Wondershare to see if I could recover the photos for her. Well, Wondershare allegedly 'recovered' the photos and so I thought, ok, close call, next time I'll buy sis a NAME BRAND flash drive - lesson learned for us both.
      Not so easy. Now I have a bunch of 'files' that when I go to open or view the photos the picture viewer in Windows 8 states that "Windows photo viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format or you don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer" so I checked to make sure my Photo Viewer is up to date and it is. I checked what the extention is on the file and there is none...They should be .jpg but just show up as file.
      I reran Wondershare and got close to 1800 picture thumbnails (without preview pics) and so I thought ok, this should work. Nope. I click on a picture and in when picture viewer in Win 8 comes up it reads: Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because the file appears to be damaged, corrupted, or is too large.
      So, any suggestions as to how I could recover the photos or am I outta luck here?
      **Also, some of the files have just a white box where the folder icon should be.
      Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.