Eivind

Laptop without main monitor/laptop to desktop

I have a Dell XPS 15Z pretty old but everything works except the LCD monitor. I accidentally broke the LCD monitor and i don't want to use too much money on an old computer so i don't want to buy a new LCD monitor.

The idea is that i want to use an external monitor to this laptop and remove the main monitor. The problem is that when i start the computer it gives off the 8 beep code which means there is no connection to the LCD monitor, and that's pretty obvious because it's broken, I just cant get past the 8 beep code. though i can enter the BIOS menu. 

I have thought about tricking the laptop to think there is a monitor i just cant seem to find anyway to do this. I have also thought if there is a way to get around the 8 beep code but cant seem to find anything on that either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You in advance.

Try Pressing  the "FN" and "F8" keys at the same time to switch the display to the external monitor.  

I can switch to another monitor but it is still stuck on the boot window while it gives off the well known 8 beep code

$50 is pretty cheap for a replacement but if you dont want to spend any money then ok: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-XPS-15Z-P12F-15-6-WXGA-Laptop-LCD-LED-Screen-A-New/180905136508?hash=item2a1ec9517c:g:W7AAAOSwDk5UCf9u

Have you tried reseating the LCD ribbon?  Even if the screen is broken the cable shoudl still be able to be connected to the LCD screen.  Once the connection is present then you can go with Chemist and force it to an external monitor.

Posted (edited)

Well i have tried reseating the LCD ribbon and it still doesn't work. But that doesn't help me get rid of the monitor. I am doing this for my own educational reasons and i want to know if there is a way to get past the 8 beep code without having a monitor or replace it with something that isn't big and can be hidden like a chip or something.

P.S. shipping the LCD screen would double the price. I am not from the US

Edited by Eivind
forgot to mention

Did you try reconnecting on both the back of the LCD panel and on the motherboard?

I believe there is a "is present" lead in the LCD ribbon and theoretically you could trick that if you knew the pinout of the LCD ribbon. The bad thing is every LCD ribbon is pinned differently and that may be hard to find out.  The best thing you may be able to do is to have the LCD screen connected and then force everything out to an external.

One thing I saw in a quick Google was a RAM reseat.  Not sure if you tried that but doubt it will make a difference on this anyway as it may be a GPU issue and not a LCD issue.