kemperhills

Oh well, it was fun for a while

Posted (edited)

I had W98 SE installed on VB.  I got most of the problems trying to run 98 SE.  I got the USB problem fixed where I could connect any USB device and run or read them[Like a thumb drive].  I had it connected to the Internet.  But I couldn't solve the screen resolution problem.  All I had was 600x480.  I read several articles where SciTech Display Doctor 7 was installed by the articles writer and they all said it worked great and they got 1280x800 resolution.  But I tried to install the driver at least 8 times.  The first 7 times the driver would not install correctly and would lock up 98 iv the VB.  The last time it installed but when I tried to setup the driver after setup there was a message that the driver was not compatiable with something and would close.  One other problem I couldn't solve was a missing Msimg32.dll file. With this file missing the colors were really messed up.  Oh well, Que sera, sera.:biggrin::huh::cool:  Well on to 3.1.

Edited by kemperhills

So 3.1 will be a bear likely to get working with newer hardware but best of luck.

As far as the video resolution is concerned, you would be installing the GPU driver for your host system onto the W98 box.  Meaning, if your host system was a Nvidia 9800se GPU then you would try to find a 9800se W98 driver and install that on the VM.  Not all newer hardware will have W98 drivers so you may be SOL with your current hardware.  What GPU or onboard video do you have for your host system?  Or what is the motherboard make/model?

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

So 3.1 will be a bear likely to get working with newer hardware but best of luck.

As far as the video resolution is concerned, you would be installing the GPU driver for your host system onto the W98 box.  Meaning, if your host system was a Nvidia 9800se GPU then you would try to find a 9800se W98 driver and install that on the VM.  Not all newer hardware will have W98 drivers so you may be SOL with your current hardware.  What GPU or onboard video do you have for your host system?  Or what is the motherboard make/model?

It is AMD Radeon HD 75660D.  But I didn't know that VB installed the hosts GPU driver into the guest OS.  That's information worth knowing and now that I know that it will probably make some future graphics problems easier to solve. 

The motherboard is Asus F2A55-M LK Plus.

Thanks Bob.  Anytime you think of something like that, tell me, if you will.  Thanks. 

Edited by kemperhills

26 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

SO I may be wrong on this a little more than I thought.

Did you see this thread? https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=9918

If you did, did you try the bear windows driver?

I did see that article.  I decided to try the SciTech driver, lost the web page and couldn't find it after the first time or two the SciTech driver failed.  Then didn't have time to look anymore and forgot about it.  Thanks, will try it and see what happens. I have loaded VMWare and it works great with W98 SE but I don't like the look of VMWare as well as I do VB.  And, at least for me, VMWare is more difficult to use.  Thanks.

Guys, just had to come back and tell you that I solved the screen resolution problem with Windows 98 SE on Virtualbox.  Never could get SciTech Display Doctor to work but I found VBEMP 9x graphics driver on the net.  Never could understand how to install the darn thing until today, 4/13/13, when I was in Display, Setting, Advanced, Adapter, Change.  In Windows ME when I ran the wizard it found the VBEMP 9x driver I had on a thumb drive and it installed and screen resolution is great.  In Windows 98 SE the wizard would not find the driver on the thumb drive,but as I went through the wizard I was able to find the driver and it installed and the screen resolution is great in Windows 98 SE also.  Only problem I not have in running 98 SE and ME on Virtualbox is that they won't connect to PCtech Bytes.  I know I have Internet connection because I have connected to Amazon and E-Bay.  So now I get to try to figure out why 98 SE and Me on Virtualbox running Opera 9.64 won't connect to PCTech Bytes.  

Hope all is going well for you and yours.  

Glad to hear you got it working!  Are you running a static IP address and DNS on that machine or is it dynamic?

4 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

Glad to hear you got it working!  Are you running a static IP address and DNS on that machine or is it dynamic?

Bob, right over the top of my head.:biggrin:  I really don't know what you are talking about.  Have heard of what you say, never learned what it is, how to check it, or how to change it.

If you haven't changed it, it's dynamic. On the network adapter, right-click>Properties and then look under the IPV4 settings. Dynamic would like like below, where everything is grayed-out. 

IP.jpg

This just means the computer will get the internal IP address and DNS info from the router. 

3 hours ago, Dave@Bytes said:

If you haven't changed it, it's dynamic. On the network adapter, right-click>Properties and then look under the IPV4 settings. Dynamic would like like below, where everything is grayed-out. 

IP.jpg

This just means the computer will get the internal IP address and DNS info from the router. 

Thanks Dave, and I am assuming that the automatic setting are the best?

Yes, in most cases automatic is best. I set my network printers, repeaters, etc to static simply because I want to remember their IP addresses for easy access. Otherwise, let the router manage them.