kemperhills

svchost eating up cpu

Ok, geeks, need some help here.  I have a Dell Inspirom 1300.  It has 2 GB RAM with a 2 GB processor.  I had tried to run W7 on it and what I am about to describe happened regularly and assumed the Laptop wasn't going to handle W7.

It came with XP HP.  My boss gave me the laptop when a virus, or viruses, made the laptop unusable.  I got it working and decided to install W7.  Then, because W7 was running extremely slow, I loaded Vista.  Here's my problem. Vistaran great for a short while, just like W7, then it got to where when I booted the laptop it would run great for a short while while browsing and then it would slow extremely, just like W7.  Well I thought, if this laptop will run XP, it will run Vista so I started looking.  When Visa slowed down I opened task manager and notice the cpu was at 100% and stayed there:huh:.  So I started looking at the processes and found svchost, system running in the mid-90's and never came down.  I have found out that when that happens I can "end process" and almost immediately the cpu usage drops down into the low 20's and high 10's.  

But there are a bunch of svchost's running so how am I to know what to do about this particular svchost and how to fix it.  Though not all svchost is System, more than one is.  Thanks. :unsure:

I would stick with Windows 7 over Vista--Vista was known to be a pig with resources. 

You can try eliminating startup programs until you find the program that is causing the CPU to spike. Have you installed anything on this machine above and beyond the base loadout?

8 minutes ago, Dave@Bytes said:

I would stick with Windows 7 over Vista--Vista was known to be a pig with resources. 

You can try eliminating startup programs until you find the program that is causing the CPU to spike. Have you installed anything on this machine above and beyond the base loadout?

Opera 12.02, FF 12.  Other than the two browsers, no.  Thanks. 

Can you install more RAM in that machine?  Doing much on it with 2GB of RAM is going to be tough anyway.

Turn off Windows Update and I bet you don't have that issue any more.  Granted that isn't a fix but it is likely what is eating resources if it is set to automatic.

1 hour ago, Dr_Bob said:

Can you install more RAM in that machine?  Doing much on it with 2GB of RAM is going to be tough anyway.

Turn off Windows Update and I bet you don't have that issue any more.  Granted that isn't a fix but it is likely what is eating resources if it is set to automatic.

Thanks Bob, will try that.  As far as the RAM I would like to put more RAM in it but the laptop is so old I haven't found any yet, and been to busy to look.  Later I am going to see if I can find some more RAM.

Find out if that has 2 - 1GB sticks in it or 1 - 2GB stick in it, please.  I may have some DDR2 in my stash.

2 hours ago, Dr_Bob said:

Find out if that has 2 - 1GB sticks in it or 1 - 2GB stick in it, please.  I may have some DDR2 in my stash.

Thanks Bob, will do that tonight.

On 3/29/2018 at 10:32 AM, Dr_Bob said:

Turned off Windows update and the svchost is still running in the 90's using the cpu.  Since there are so many svchost's running at the same time how is one to know what this particular svchost is running. If there is no simple way, I may have to use Dave's advice and start elimintating startup programs.  Thanks

On 3/29/2018 at 1:44 PM, Dr_Bob said:

Bob, the laptop has 2x1 GB sticks.  I searched and of all the sites I went to only Kingston[they didn't even off the RAM anymore]and Crucial[they only had 1 GB sticks]even allowed me to search for the ram.  So if you have any 2x2 GB laying around I would appreciate.

The RAM that is in the laptop is A-Tech.There are two 1 GB sticks in the laptop.  DDR2, PC-5300, SODIMM/667 MHz.  Thanks. 

On 3/30/2018 at 9:43 PM, kemperhills said:

Bob, the laptop has 2x1 GB sticks.  I searched and of all the sites I went to only Kingston[they didn't even off the RAM anymore]and Crucial[they only had 1 GB sticks]even allowed me to search for the ram.  So if you have any 2x2 GB laying around I would appreciate.

The RAM that is in the laptop is A-Tech.There are two 1 GB sticks in the laptop.  DDR2, PC-5300, SODIMM/667 MHz.  Thanks. 

Well, I am really cornfused.  Over the weekend I have done a lot of searching trying to solve the high svchost problem.  One thing I  have found out is that if I go to Task Manager and end the svchost that is running high cpu usage is that almost immediately after ending the svchost the cpu usage drops dramatically.  Then if I right click that svchost and click "Go to service(s) and in that list of service u.nder that svchost end windows update the cpu usage drops dramatically.  This seems to suggest that windows update is the problem

However, when I run Processor Explorer that svchost that is causing high cpu usage has only two service listed, both are "Task Scheduler Engine". Below is is the results of both the Process Explorer and Task Manager. 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the “Go to Service” option to see what is running  Look for  Wuauserv, It is a Windows system service of the Windows Update feature. It runs only when Windows Update is running. Windows Update sometimes can use a lot of computer resources to search for updates; therefore the wuauserv service slows down your computer.

55 minutes ago, chemist said:

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the “Go to Service” option to see what is running  Look for  Wuauserv, It is a Windows system service of the Windows Update feature. It runs only when Windows Update is running. Windows Update sometimes can use a lot of computer resources to search for updates; therefore the wuauserv service slows down your computer.

Thanks for the reply chemist, but the problem I am describing is present all the time.  Even when not using Windows update.  Every time I boot the laptop, after using it for a short time, it slows down dramatically.  When I try to open a program, download, or open a site and the activity circle works and works but nothing happens for a very long time, I can open Task Manager, end the svchost process and almost immediately the program or site will open.  Or if I am download  something it will begin to download.  What I am confused about is this problem exists even when Windows update is not being used, and it exists every time I use the laptop.

When you say Windows Update is not being used do you mean that you are physically not telling it to do Windows Update?  Windows Update, unless the service is disabled in the Services.msc location will run whenever it sees fit.  If you have that disabled then disregard.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Bob said:

When you say Windows Update is not being used do you mean that you are physically not telling it to do Windows Update?  Windows Update, unless the service is disabled in the Services.msc location will run whenever it sees fit.  If you have that disabled then disregard.

Thanks Bob.  Well, guess part of my previous post didn't make sense.  However,  when you suggested I stop Windows update I did.  But I kept noticing that the same svchost was using a  lot of cpu so I rebooted my laptop, opened services in Device Manager, scrolled down to Windows Update and under status I noticed Windows Update was "starting".  I opened Task Manager and watched for a long time, and though Windows Update never started, the svchost slowly went up in cpu usage.  I went back to Services and stopped Windows Update again and the svchost is not high.  Excuse my ignorance, but why, after stopping Windows Update in Services was it trying to start.  I thought when a service was stopped it was stopped until it was started again.  Also, if there is a fix for this problem, which I am beginning to wonder if this is not what caused W7 to slow down, I will reinstall W7.  If there is no fix then I will simply stop Windows Update in W7 and manually check for updates.  But I am confused why, after stopping Windows Update in Services it was trying to start.  Thanks.  

You need to change it do disabled in Services to actual stop it.  Windows will randomly check to see if its core services are on and it they are just stopped, it will try to restart them to see if they function.  If it is set to disabled, then it will not be able to restart the stopped service.

1 hour ago, Dr_Bob said:

You need to change it do disabled in Services to actual stop it.  Windows will randomly check to see if its core services are on and it they are just stopped, it will try to restart them to see if they function.  If it is set to disabled, then it will not be able to restart the stopped service.

Thanks