• Join The PCTechBytes Community

Welcome to PCTechBytes! Whether your a battle-seasoned geek or a technology novice, sign up for the free PCTechBytes forums to interact with other like-minded people. Get computer help or assist a fellow member and do your good deed for the day. The forums are heavily moderated and friendly, so join today and begin posting now!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi guys, looking to create an additional screen for my laptop but not loving how large the controller boards I've found are. I'd like to make this as slim and portable as possible so it can slip in my bag alongside my laptop while also being a light as possible. 

Anyone know of any smaller lcd controller boards? If we can get tablet and surface PCs so thin, then hopefully this is possible somehow.

Thanks in advance!

Jimmy.

Hi Dr_Bob,

I'm looking at something like what you linked to above - or more similar to the Razer Project Valerie gaming laptop prototype, or the Slide N Joy screen extender. The Slide N Joy is outside my price range and too bulky for what I'm looking for though. I'd like to be able to use the screens with any laptop as I'll likely be changing my current model in the next several months. At the moment, I am looking at using any replacement laptop screen with a high enough resolution that I won't feel the need to replace it once the new laptop arrives (1920 x 1080, 15.6" screen is what I'm looking at - same as my current laptop screen size though current screen has less res). I will also be aiming to buy the digitizer to make it touchscreen, too. A big ask with the desire to have a smaller controller board I know, but you need a goal to work to, right? Lol.

I don't know enough about controller boards and such but I had come across 'microcontroller boards' as in phones and 'raspberry pi' and wondered if any of these would be of use.

Here's the YouTube video that inspired it. This has been on my mind for a good while now and I'd really like to try it (and add a few tweaks of my own).

Any thoughts?

I appreciate the previous reply.

J.

So what is your price range?  That will help a lot.  Also, getting a screen with that res may be a little more costly, fyi.

Idealistically, I'd like to keep it between £150-£200, so I know I may have to just suck it up and go for the bigger control boards, though I'd definitely prefer something smaller if you have any suggestion (would consider raising my budget if there was a suitable alternative available).

From what I've found online so far, I can get replacement Lenovo Flex 2-15 screens for under £30 each, same from the digitizers and £10 for the digitizer control boards (the latter pre-owned - removed from a broken laptop for spares).

As you can see I'm close to the bottom end of the budget already but am 100% willing to pay more for the right piece of kit for this.

J

• Our picks

• We all want a simple DIY OTA TV recording solution. Watching television over the air is nothing new–people have been doing it for decades. Having the ability to bring a high definition signal into your home, record it and–in some cases–remove commercials, is definitely a game-changer in this space. The era of streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu and YouTube TV, have made cord-cutting virtually painless, as viewers can dump their pricey cable bundles and cable box rentals for cheaper streaming television services. But the questions has always been, what do I do about my local channels? 

Read the full post on Simple DIY OTA TV Recording and Viewing Options 
      • 0 replies
    • Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair
      You can perform Acer Chromebook troubleshooting with these steps. Chromebook issues can generally be addressed by resetting the device back to factory defaults, but if the issue is a hardware defect, you will need to first diagnose and then take measures to repair the machine. The following are some of the more common issues you may have with your Acer Chromebook. Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting To begin, many problems can be fixed simply by performing a factory reset of your Chromebook. This will ensure any changes you made to the computer since you received it are wiped out ...

Read more on Acer Chromebook Troubleshooting And Repair 

• 0 replies
  • Similar Content

• By Grannysmith0417
      So I’ve had this laptop (asus g751J) for nearly a year now. I bought it off a friend, I had played on it before and it worked fine, I brought it home and it worked fine, but it took quite a while to turn on. A few months ago I took a break from gaming and didn’t use it for a while, now when I turn it on the keyboard lights up and the lights at the bottom are lit but the computer screen is grey, it will occasionally go completely black, just to go back to grey again. Anyone know why this is happening, my guesses are a problem with the monitor or the motherboard. 

• By deki090
      Hello,
      I have Dell Inspiron N5010 with Intel core i3-380M , 6GB RAM , AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD..
      When I start the laptop it beeps 8 times i it doesn't boot. When i connect a monitor it starts but only in safe mode and even in safe mode there are green artifacts.
      I uninstalled the amd radeon driver in device menager and it start in normal mode but there are green artifacts again and when i update the graphic driver it crashes again and starts only in safe mode.
      Also i can't switch the graphics from amd to onborad in bios (there is not an option) and in device menager it shows only the amd graphics.
      Is it the amd graphics or the cpu problem ? Can i change the cpu on the motherboard and will it work ?
    • By Moonstryder
      Hi there, a few days ago my acer aspire started giving some problems. The screen started flashing a few times before it would shut off, within the span of 4 seconds from the first flash it would immediately shut off. This went on for about 2 hours, then stopped briefly. It then gave me a blue screen with the error with the message 'IRLQ not equal or less' IRLQ mightve not been the word but 'not equal or less than' was definitely displayed in the message. The laptop now doesnt work at all, it turns on, but the fans dont spin and nothing plugged into the USB slots power up at all, I tried using an external monitor via VGA and HDMI cable, no luck, also when it does power up, the charge light flashes orange, its not a battery issue since i tried another battery that always works on my laptop, both were charged properly. Also not a ram issue, tried to swap out the ram with working, same MHZ ram, no luck at all. I cant try to boot it at all, the screen wont even go on. The HDD does work, I fit it to another computer, works fine, tried fitting another HDD to the laptop, no luck either.
      Specs
      CPU: I5 5200U
      GPU: Nvidia GT 940M 2GB
      Memory: 6GB 1600mhz DDR3
      HDD: 1TB WD blue 7200RPM
    • By DaniMLucht
      I have a super weird problem with my laptop. I have no idea if it's fixable or if I should just buy a new one. My HP Pavilion laptop is 5 years old but still in good shape. About every other day, while resting my palms on the bottom of the keyboard, my computer will randomly start spawning tabs in whatever browser is open. OR it will continuously refresh the tab I'm in. The only thing that causes it is me physically touching the lower left portion of the keyboard where my palms rest while typing. If I don't touch it, my computer works fine.
      I know nothing about hardware. Should I buy a new laptop or is this fixable? What on earth could cause this? I should mention I have kids that can be fairly rough around electronics...
    • By ays27
      So the day before this issue started I replaced my laptop keyboard because of some non functioning keys I followed the ifix it guide and everything worked out I booted up and everything was working I used the laptop for about 12 hours then i put it to sleep. The next morning it wouldn't boot up it would light up the keyboard and hdd light then it would turn off, (something Similar happens once when I dropped my phone exactly above the hdd stupid I know, but it just did that loop for a few seconds then started fine) and that was a long while ago but now I left it for 10 minutes to no result I also tried removing of the ram units which stopped the loop but the screen didn't turn on and the hdd light flashed once. But I could turn on the fans and change the keyboard light layout .
      Any idea what caused this 
      Thanks